The Student Room Group

What’s a good gcse grade in ur opinion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
It's not down to tables - the bottom one is not offical anyway. LOOK at the definition of a grade 7 from OFQUAL [ie factual] -
"We have designed the grading so that there are comparable points at key grades. The bottom of a grade 7 is comparable to the bottom of the old grade A, the bottom of a new grade 4 is comparable to the bottom of the old grade C, and the bottom of the new grade 1 is comparable to the bottom of the old grade G. We have been clear to employers, universities and others that if they previously set entry requirements of at least a grade C, then the equivalent now would be to require at least grade 4." Ofqual

Technically only 1, 4 and 7 have EXACT links - all the others are guesses.

However, as I said, unis accept 8 and 9s as A*s ... stop arguing with Ofqual the exam authority

Okay then what's the purpose of there being both an 8 and a 9?
Why not just take the grading system as high as 8 and leave it at that? Doesn't that make a 9 rather redundant?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Okay then what's the purpose of there being both an 8 and a 9?
Why not just take the grading system as high as 8 and leave it at that? Doesn't that make a 9 rather redundant?

i think the point was to give people with high A*s extra distinction. (it also gives people with who would have got an old high A extra distinction) It'd also be pretty easy to add another grade.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
i think the point was to give people with high A*s extra distinction. (it also gives people with who would have got an old high A extra distinction) It'd also be pretty easy to add another grade.

Thank you for the explanation
Thank you for the explanation

When we had numbered grades before 1 was the highest - many teachers think the reversal is to allow a 10 to be introduced. In practice 8 and 9 are the same as far as unis are concerned
When we had numbered grades before 1 was the highest - many teachers think the reversal is to allow a 10 to be introduced. In practice 8 and 9 are the same as far as unis are concerned

I don't remember a number system that way round, with 1 being the highest. When was that?

I did my GCSEs in 2000 when it was the A* to G system.
My kids are going through them now, and it's the 9 to 1 system.

I still mentally convert their grades into the old lettered system to appease my old-school brain.
(edited 2 years ago)
I don't remember a number system that way round, with 1 being the highest. When was that?

I did my GCSEs in 2000 when it was the A* to G system.
My kids are going through them now, and it's the 9 to 1 system.

I still mentally convert their grades into the old lettered system to appease my old-school brain.

This was O level grading in some boards - 1 to 6 were pass grades, 7 to 9 weren't! CSE also had number grades - grade 1 was considerd equal to an O level.

You can't really translate grades between the two systems ...
This was O level grading in some boards - 1 to 6 were pass grades, 7 to 9 weren't! CSE also had number grades - grade 1 was considerd equal to an O level.

You can't really translate grades between the two systems ...

Fair enough

I admit I know nothing about how O Levels were graded
Original post by Ghostface6001
Imo I think is a 6 is good, anything above is great, a B is good but the number system makes it seem lowwww

I think a 6 and above is decent. 8 and above is good.
9 - amazing
8 - great
7 - really good
6 - pretty good
5 - good
4 - okay
3 or less - fail lol
Original post by eternaldevotiion
9 - amazing
8 - great
7 - really good
6 - pretty good
5 - good
4 - okay
3 or less - fail lol

Only a grade U is a fail ...
Only a grade U is a fail ...

not just a U. a pass is a 4, so if you don't pass, you fail.
not just a U. a pass is a 4, so if you don't pass, you fail.

They arent a fail - just like D, E, F and G weren't fails under the old system.

they were fails too tho
Reply 53
Fair enough

I admit I know nothing about how O Levels were graded

When they were first introduced they were just pass or fail, grade came later (1960?). I think all the exam boards switched to letter grades by the late 1970s.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/800507/GCSE_factsheet_for_parents__final_.pdf
A 4 is a "standard pass" and a 5 is a "strong pass."
Under the old system, F was the fail grade, so F and G were outright fails. A U, as you know, stands for ungraded. A U isn't just a fail, it means that you've failed to even get a failing grade.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1168200/GCSE-results-day-2019-GCSE-grades-explained-pass-fail-number-grades
I'm not sure how accurate this is but it indicates that D and E were technically passes - but they're weak passes. No one's going to be impressed with a 3 and of course if you get below a 4 in maths or English language you're expected to retake it as part of your post 16 education so anything below a 4 is practically a fail.
"The bottom of grade 1 is aligned with an old grade G." So a 1 is indisputably an outright fail. The chart in the first link indicates that a 2 is in between an F and an E. So, equivalent to a high F or low E. I'd class that as an outright fail too.

5 - strong pass
4 - standard pass
3 - weak pass, but you're still crap at this subject and colleges, sixth forms, universities and employers won't count it as a pass.
1 and 2 - fail
U - too bad to even get awarded a failing grade.

In conclusion, you're both right about some aspects and wrong about others.
they were fails too tho

They weren't - only a grade U is a fail

I agree that 4/C is required but lower grades are NOT technically fails as you get a certificate.
Original post by Tammie2345524
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/800507/GCSE_factsheet_for_parents__final_.pdf
A 4 is a "standard pass" and a 5 is a "strong pass."
Under the old system, F was the fail grade, so F and G were outright fails. A U, as you know, stands for ungraded. A U isn't just a fail, it means that you've failed to even get a failing grade.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1168200/GCSE-results-day-2019-GCSE-grades-explained-pass-fail-number-grades
I'm not sure how accurate this is but it indicates that D and E were technically passes - but they're weak passes. No one's going to be impressed with a 3 and of course if you get below a 4 in maths or English language you're expected to retake it as part of your post 16 education so anything below a 4 is practically a fail.
"The bottom of grade 1 is aligned with an old grade G." So a 1 is indisputably an outright fail. The chart in the first link indicates that a 2 is in between an F and an E. So, equivalent to a high F or low E. I'd class that as an outright fail too.

5 - strong pass
4 - standard pass
3 - weak pass, but you're still crap at this subject and colleges, sixth forms, universities and employers won't count it as a pass.
1 and 2 - fail
U - too bad to even get awarded a failing grade.

In conclusion, you're both right about some aspects and wrong about others.

It's all splitting hairs.

In technicality, a "pass" means that you receive a certificate, ie. achieve at least a grade 1 for foundation/untiered or grade 3 for higher. Colloquially, a "pass" describes a "good pass" (or at least what used to be called a good pass, now split into standard/strong as you say) which is a 4/C or above, that's where the confusion comes. In practical terms, people aim for a 4 or above and a 2 technically being a pass may not mean much in many (most?) circumstances because it's not thought to represent a high attainment.
(edited 2 years ago)
for me
French- grade 6/7
rest: grade 4/5+
Original post by Ghostface6001
Imo I think is a 6 is good, anything above is great, a B is good but the number system makes it seem lowwww

personally,
9- good
8-what a SHAME!
7- HORRIFYING
6 AND BELOW -GO KILL YOURSELF DUDE..

Quick Reply

Latest