Marxx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

I will be going into Year 11 in September and I started thinking about a levels that I will need to take for my career in marketing. Currently, I want to take economics and history (my best and favourite subject). But obviously I need a third one. And I am really not sure about it so maybe you guys can help me. It will probably be one of those: sociology, psychology or English lit. Any help choosing them will be appreciated. And do pls tell me which ones are the best and most relevant for marketing.

Thanks
kimchi12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marxx)
Hi all,

I will be going into Year 11 in September and I started thinking about a levels that I will need to take for my career in marketing. Currently, I want to take economics and history (my best and favourite subject). But obviously I need a third one. And I am really not sure about it so maybe you guys can help me. It will probably be one of those: sociology, psychology or English lit. Any help choosing them will be appreciated. And do pls tell me which ones are the best and most relevant for marketing.

Thanks
Hey!

I don't really think you should think about A-levels yet, but since I am starting it, I will tell you some about it!
Sociology is all about human society, including its development, functions, and organizations. It is a very interesting subject which I myself am taking it. It has various topics that are occuring today, including Feminisim, Poverty, Education, Culture, Health, etc.
Psychology is all about the study of your mind and how it works. There are some bit of science included in this topic about how the nerves and your brain work. It is also all about understanding people! Pyschology is very interesting as well but it is harder and has more information. Sociology is the easier version of pyschology.
English Literature...I won't say anything for that one because I am not sure but I'm sure someone here will talk you through about that subject!!

I personally think taking Sociology would really help you in marketing because it will help you decide your targets for marketing and what people need now (E.g feminism- purple, pink scarves are popular now) and it may help you understand politics on the deeper side too!!

I hope it helped!
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look on the course pages on a range of different Unis - most will have no required subjects, you just need a demonstrated interest in this area of business for your PS to to be convincing.
Examples -
Westminster - https://www.westminster.ac.uk/busine...ing-ba-honours (no required subjects)
Bournemouth - https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/...on-year-option (no required subjects)
Lancaster - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un...bsc-hons-n500/ (no required subjects)
Last edited by McGinger; 1 month ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marxx)
Hi all,

Thanks
Psychology would be a good one as some Marketing courses touch on it with regards to consumer behaviour

https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...marketing.aspx
mediastudentBU
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marxx)
Hi all,

Thanks
Hi Marxx,

I am Tia, a final year BA (Hons) Communication and Media student at Bournemouth University. First of all, it is amazing you already know what you want to study at university and second of all that you are considering your A Levels in relation to this. Bournemouth doesn't have any required subjects for our marketing degrees and you will all be taught in first year as if you have no to little knowledge. However, if like me you want to have a basis of knowledge before you join and want A Levels that show your interest then this is a great starting point for your subject choices.

Firstly, I would think about what type/area of marketing you wish to go into. At Bournemouth we have a few different marketing degrees: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/...keting-courses. The BSc (Hons) Marketing degree is part of our business school faculty meaning it is more analytical and strategic, which means an A Level in this area such as business may be something to look into (but it isn't essential). Whereas our different marketing communication degrees are part of our media and communication faculty meaning they are a little more creative and so a media or creative subject may help.

You mentioned psychology which is a great subject to take at A Level as it is used and applied to most areas, (sociology too!). Marketing being a key area they use psychology/sociology studies. I took English as an A Level and it helped me a lot with my ability to write, so all of these options are really great choices that I'm sure will help you a lot.

I hope this helps, Tia
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marxx)
Hi all,

Thanks
Marxx
Hello! I have a BA Hons in Sociology and soon will have finished my MSc in Psychology. I think Psychology would look better on a CV for working in the marketing industry, however, either would be good in terms of prestige and UCAS tariff points to get onto a marketing course

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marxx)
Hi all,

Thanks
Hi Marxx,

Great question! I have just finished my final year studying BSc Hons Marketing Management at Lancaster University. You can see here from the entry requirements for one of the several marketing courses at Lancaster that it doesn't state the grades have to be in certain subjects. I would choose A levels that complement each other and interest you because that way you will more than likely succeed. I personally chose English Literature, Drama and Business to study at A Level but did consider Maths and Geography at one point! My friends on the course all studied different A Levels so I would not worry too much about your A Level choices - remember everything needs marketing and different skills sets and subject background will be great for marketing!

I wish you the best of luck with your A levels and if you have any questions about studying Marketing at Lancaster then please let me know!

Rebecca (Final Year BSc Hons Marketing Management Student)
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marxx)
Hi all,

Thanks
Hi there!

I’m glad you’ve got a couple A levels sorted it’s always good to know what you want to do as a career. I would maybe suggest doing a Business A level so you can get an insight of marketing as it may include aspects of marketing within. However, the options you’re wanting fo take do sound good as well! I know it’s probably a bit too early to think about University but I just wanted to give you some insight of Coventry University Scarborough.

I am a recent graduate at CU Scarborough who studied Business Management and Leadership. Studying Business gives you an insight of a range of different modules that will help you gain knowledge of what interests you the most. Here at CU Scarborough, modules are taken one at a time. The modules at Scarborough are broken down into 4 blocks with different start dates (September, November or January). The modules are taken one at a time so you’re able to concentrate on one topic per module with 2 coursework assignments each module - one weighing 40% and one 60%. Having modules focused one at a time is beneficial as it allows students to work through each topic throughly. Some modules include: Business Management, Marketing and Entrepreneurship. Click the following link to see more of the modules offered: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/cus/cours...22/management/

Hope this helps

Aimee (CU Scarborough)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (362)
84.19%
No (68)
15.81%

Watched Threads