studying abroad social anxiety

Watch
hrtpjm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
i rlly want to study abroad for uni but i also have terrible social anxiety and i think i'd struggle a lot. i don't want my mental health to stop me from doing things but i also don't want to put myself in a situation where i would be out of my depth and having a bad time. has anyone else studied abroad (with or without anxiety) that could tell me more about what it's like? i'm thinking of doing it 2nd year through isep and i specifically want to go to korea.
Last edited by hrtpjm; 2 months ago
kimchi12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by hrtpjm)
i rlly want to study abroad for uni but i also have terrible social anxiety and i think i'd struggle a lot. i don't want my mental health to stop me from doing things but i also don't want to put myself in a situation where i would be out of my depth and having a bad time. has anyone else studied abroad (with or without anxiety) that could tell me more about what it's like? i'm thinking of doing it 2nd year through isep and i specifically want to go to korea.
OMG, YOU WANT TO GO TO KOREA?? Sorry, I'm South Korean myself and I just get super excited whenever I hear someone going to Korea xD Alright, back on the topic, sometimes I have terrible anxiety as well but all I do, is go for what you want to do, all it takes is a big leap! You may actually enjoy Korea a lot, even if your anxiety gets in the way, there are always solutions ;D I never studied abroad but I know a friend who studied abroad in USA and she loved it! If possible, maybe you can find someone you know who can stay in Korea with you, so you can be more comfortable?
hrtpjm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by kimchi12)
OMG, YOU WANT TO GO TO KOREA?? Sorry, I'm South Korean myself and I just get super excited whenever I hear someone going to Korea xD Alright, back on the topic, sometimes I have terrible anxiety as well but all I do, is go for what you want to do, all it takes is a big leap! You may actually enjoy Korea a lot, even if your anxiety gets in the way, there are always solutions ;D I never studied abroad but I know a friend who studied abroad in USA and she loved it! If possible, maybe you can find someone you know who can stay in Korea with you, so you can be more comfortable?
yessss i'd rlly love to go -- it seems so interesting and it's been top of my travel list for a while now :] i think i'd be fine if i had a friend to go with but it's a lot to ask of someone who might not be as enthusiastic or interested as me :// i'm hoping i'll make more friends when i start uni that might genuinely want to go
Fifi5
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hrtpjm)
I'm thinking of going to Korea for my year abroad too! I think it would be a great experience, and don't let your worry prevent you from taking the chance! I have watched a couple of youtube videos and they help you get an idea of what living in Korea is like, so I recommend you do that too. Also keep in mind there would be other people like you going to Korea for the first time and they would also be pretty nervous, so you're not the only one.
Since its a foreign country with a totally different language as well, I would recommend learning some basics of the language and culture so you won't be too shocked if you do go. It would help you understand the people better as well.
Also you could try finding out through your uni or maybe isep about other people who went to Korea? You could learn from their experiences.
angelofessence
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! I studied for my second year abroad in America. I was also full anxieties like yourself, but you know what? I just took a leap of faith and went for it anyway. That experience gave me some of the best memories of my life so far, if anything it was actually the only decent memory of my time at uni, I only graduated last week and began to reflect on it all. Like others have said, look up the culture and social norms then look at what is expected of you academically as well.

I cannot stress this enough, it is very easy to get lost in the whole 'I'm going abroad, wohoo I'm going to do this, I'm going to do that!' and then forgetting entirely about studying and what is required. I made that error and it made adjusting to the new mode of study a bit more difficult but I got back on my feet! I met a lot of Koreans in America and they were lovely people, still keep in contact with a few of them! They did tell me that studying in Korea is very intense and harsh but I'm not sure if that would be the same case for yourself being on exchange and all.

I would strongly recommend learning their written language which Hangul. It actually doesn't take too long to learn and is very easy to remember, it will make your life so much easier over there. The Korean language however is a little more tricky and I couldn't even begin to decipher basic words! I'm sure whatever you decide to do, you will have the time of your life over there, just go for it whilst you still can, studying abroad is the best thing I ever did!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads