Ghostface6001
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hoping to do medicne ia, any tips to get aaa predicted for uni, are teachers harsh with giving predicted aaa
username5432344
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just had my summer report grades and my predicted grades (not my UCAS ones but will hopefully be pretty similar) were AAA so hopefully I can help! I'm planning to do Biomedical Sciences so we probably do similar subjects. Apologies in advance if I mention anything you already do

1. In terms of teachers being strict, personally my teachers aren't particularly strict about giving out As but there has to be evidence to back it up, for example my summer predicted grades are the same as my mock grades.

2. If you use them, make your flashcards as you're being taught the lessons and before any mini tests. This is something I didn't do for my GCSEs (and hence am kinda glad we got teacher assessed grades lol) but have been doing this year and it really helped because it meant when it came to my mocks I didn't have so much to make and had more time to learn the content.

3. Start revising well in advance. We were told we would be having mocks about 8 weeks beforehand, and I started revising pretty much straight away. It was just an hour a night at first, and then I gradually increased it as it got closer to the mock dates. This really helped as it meant I wasn't as stressed because I knew I'd put a lot of work in.

4. Balance out your revision strategies and test often. Another thing GCSE-era me didn't do xD. After a few sessions learning the content however works best for you, it's really important to do practice questions, both timed and not. Marking these and then focusing on what you weren't as strong at really helps in terms of strengthening your knowledge. You can also look at your targets from in-class tests as well. For example, in my previous Chemistry tests I really struggled with shapes of molecules, so I made sure to focus my revision on this and ended up getting that question right in my mock.

5. Ask teachers what you can do to improve your grade. I did this after my spring report (got a C in Chem and was pretty nervous), I just sent all my teachers an email asking how I could improve. I don't know what your teachers are like, some gave me useful feedback and some just ignored the email, so it's a bit hit-and-miss but can be really helpful in highlighting things you might not realise.

6. So. Much. Revision. Seriously, it sucks but it's helpful. Prior to my mocks I did very little but revise, except for my breaks (which are important!) I'll be honest, there were plenty of times I didn't want to do it, but I (most of the time) pushed through. Even if it's just 15 mins or half an hour, it's still progress. Make a revision plan early on and try to stick to it as best as possible.

Apologies for such a long response, and best of luck with next year, I'm sure you'll do great!
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ghostface6001)
Hoping to do medicne ia, any tips to get aaa predicted for uni, are teachers harsh with giving predicted aaa
Produce work of at least AAA standard?
Ghostface6001
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Produce work of at least AAA standard?
Usually it’s more than that tho, I’ve heard many ppl on tsr say ur gcse grades matter, your attitude matters, etc and I’m just wondering if I produce bbb could they give aaa
Last edited by Ghostface6001; 1 month ago
Ghostface6001
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Ethan512)
Just had my summer report grades and my predicted grades (not my UCAS ones but will hopefully be pretty similar) were AAA so hopefully I can help! I'm planning to do Biomedical Sciences so we probably do similar subjects. Apologies in advance if I mention anything you already do

1. In terms of teachers being strict, personally my teachers aren't particularly strict about giving out As but there has to be evidence to back it up, for example my summer predicted grades are the same as my mock grades.

2. If you use them, make your flashcards as you're being taught the lessons and before any mini tests. This is something I didn't do for my GCSEs (and hence am kinda glad we got teacher assessed grades lol) but have been doing this year and it really helped because it meant when it came to my mocks I didn't have so much to make and had more time to learn the content.

3. Start revising well in advance. We were told we would be having mocks about 8 weeks beforehand, and I started revising pretty much straight away. It was just an hour a night at first, and then I gradually increased it as it got closer to the mock dates. This really helped as it meant I wasn't as stressed because I knew I'd put a lot of work in.

4. Balance out your revision strategies and test often. Another thing GCSE-era me didn't do xD. After a few sessions learning the content however works best for you, it's really important to do practice questions, both timed and not. Marking these and then focusing on what you weren't as strong at really helps in terms of strengthening your knowledge. You can also look at your targets from in-class tests as well. For example, in my previous Chemistry tests I really struggled with shapes of molecules, so I made sure to focus my revision on this and ended up getting that question right in my mock.

5. Ask teachers what you can do to improve your grade. I did this after my spring report (got a C in Chem and was pretty nervous), I just sent all my teachers an email asking how I could improve. I don't know what your teachers are like, some gave me useful feedback and some just ignored the email, so it's a bit hit-and-miss but can be really helpful in highlighting things you might not realise.

6. So. Much. Revision. Seriously, it sucks but it's helpful. Prior to my mocks I did very little but revise, except for my breaks (which are important!) I'll be honest, there were plenty of times I didn't want to do it, but I (most of the time) pushed through. Even if it's just 15 mins or half an hour, it's still progress. Make a revision plan early on and try to stick to it as best as possible.

Apologies for such a long response, and best of luck with next year, I'm sure you'll do great!
Thank you so much !
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ghostface6001)
Usually it’s more than that tho, I’ve heard many ppl on tsr say ur gcse grades matter, your attitude matters, etc and I’m just wondering if I produce bbb could they give aaa
Well they could, and teachers clearly often do, given that only about 40% of people make their predicted grades or better. But the way to be sure is to produce work of the required standard, then you don't have to rely on potentially unfair, judgemental and illogical decisions by teachers!
And you would get an offer of AAA+ (unless contextual), so if you can achieve this, demonstrate it now and predictions will follow
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads