The Student Room Group

Would I be able to work for the NHS with a biology/biomedical degree?

I’m going to be applying for university courses soon and I’m not sure what to choose from. What I’m 100% certain about is I want to do is work in a hospital and have patient interactions. I definitely don’t want to work in a lab. Would these courses take me there? I’m also considering pharmacy , but I know it’s really competitive so I need to have other options too. Please suggest any other science related degrees I could take which can lead me to working with patients in a hospital setting. I’m really stressed out and don’t know where to begin.
If you want patient interactions, biology/biomedical science is probably not the best route to take as they'd lead to working in a lab. Medicine, nursing, pharmacy, physician assistant, paramedic science etc. would likely be more of what you're looking for. This website (https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/degree-subject-guides/313967-alternatives-to-a-medicine-degree) has some interesting info about these types of careers.

Typically a biomedical science degree would lead to you being a biomedical scientist in a hospital (lab-based, no patient contact) whereas a biology degree wouldn't lead you anywhere specific but would likely be a stepping stone to a lab-based career rather than a patient-facing career.
Reply 2
Original post by medicphd
If you want patient interactions, biology/biomedical science is probably not the best route to take as they'd lead to working in a lab. Medicine, nursing, pharmacy, physician assistant, paramedic science etc. would likely be more of what you're looking for. This website (https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/degree-subject-guides/313967-alternatives-to-a-medicine-degree) has some interesting info about these types of careers.

Typically a biomedical science degree would lead to you being a biomedical scientist in a hospital (lab-based, no patient contact) whereas a biology degree wouldn't lead you anywhere specific but would likely be a stepping stone to a lab-based career rather than a patient-facing career.

Thank you for the feedback! I’ll look into pharmacy as that interests me the most :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending