Umm.chile
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is anyone applying for Law at other unis and HSPS at Cambridge ?
Last edited by Umm.chile; 1 month ago
Solent University- TSR Talks
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi - we put this video together about drafting personal statements. It may be of help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlnekG2-PmQ
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Umm.chile)
Is anyone applying for Law at other unis and HSPS at Cambridge ?
It’s not unknown. At Cambridge you can supply an additional Cambridge specific PS in the Supplemental Application Questionnaire. It’s shorter than the ucas PS but Cambridge offer it because they know that their courses are in many cases unique to them.
Umm.chile
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
It’s not unknown. At Cambridge you can supply an additional Cambridge specific PS in the Supplemental Application Questionnaire. It’s shorter than the ucas PS but Cambridge offer it because they know that their courses are in many cases unique to them.
As for the SAQ do I expand on what I’ve written in my personal statement and how it links or introduce
something new
Last edited by Umm.chile; 1 month ago
Carpeting
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you weren't to include at least one of the subjects offered at HSPS in your personal statement, one would consider whether you are truly committed to the HSPS course. One of the main things that an admissions tutor would be looking for is your motivation to study this subject; only having written about Law in your personal statement will significantly hamper your chances, even with the addition of an HSPS based SAQ. Although that is to say, you may be able to get away writing a personal statement about law, and including a heavy basis on political law. For example, you may be able to discuss how the relationship between the lack of a codified constitution has implications on the practical application of constitutional law and the fact that the law becomes grey when dealing with capricious political situations not dictated by conventions on how to address them.

But coming back to the question surrounding personal statement, applying with a pure law PS is going to be difficult. I would seriously consider why you'd like to do Law at other unis but HSPS at Cam, if it is to do with getting an offer, I would caution against relying upon this as a means of getting into the university. As much as the cliche goes, admissions tutors are most likely to recognise a ploy were you to enact one.

Best of luck

(Original post by Umm.chile)
As for the SAQ do I expand on what I’ve written in my personal statement and how it links or introduce
something new
Last edited by Carpeting; 1 month ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Carpeting)
If you weren't to include at least one of the subjects offered at HSPS in your personal statement, one would consider whether you are truly committed to the HSPS course. One of the main things that an admissions tutor would be looking for is your motivation to study this subject; only having written about Law in your personal statement will significantly hamper your chances, even with the addition of an HSPS based SAQ. Although that is to say, you may be able to get away writing a personal statement about law, and including a heavy basis on political law. For example, you may be able to discuss how the relationship between the lack of a codified constitution has implications on the practical application of constitutional law and the fact that the law becomes grey when dealing with capricious political situations not dictated by conventions on how to address them.

But coming back to the question surrounding personal statement, applying with a pure law PS is going to be difficult. I would seriously consider why you'd like to do Law at other unis but HSPS at Cam, if it is to do with getting an offer, I would caution against relying upon this as a means of getting into the university. As much as the cliche goes, admissions tutors are most likely to recognise a ploy were you to enact one.

Best of luck
Cambridge put very little weighting on the PS. Can you point to a source that backs up your claim that a law PS would damage the OPs chances?
Carpeting
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
Cambridge put very little weighting on the PS. Can you point to a source that backs up your claim that a law PS would damage the OPs chances?
The claim that Cambridge put little emphasis on PS and the fact that a Law PS will damage the applications is non sequitur. Nonetheless, here's such evidence.
1) Cambridge central admissions office website outlining what would be useful in an application
Admissions decisions at Cambridge are based solely on academic criteria (ability and potential). Personal statements are often used as a basis for discussion at interview. In a personal statement we are looking for applicants to:

explain their reasons for wanting to study the subject (this would be rather difficult if one explains why they wish to study Law instead)
demonstrate their enthusiasm for and commitment to their chosen course (again, commitment to their chosen course)
express any particular interests within the field
outline how they have pursued their interest in the subject in their own time

link to above is here: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....udents-prepare

2) Individual Colleges' advice:
From John's website
This could be detailed reasons for why you want to study your chosen course, what motivated you, your hobbies and interests outside school, or your future aspirations, to name but a few. Interviewers at St John’s may use your personal statement as a basis for discussion.

The additional application questionnaire includes space to provide an additional personal statement, giving you the opportunity to expand on your UCAS personal statement, allowing you to include information specific to the course you are applying for at Cambridge. There is no need to repeat information included in the UCAS personal statement.

Again, note the fact that John's is explicit in that they are asking why you want to study that chosen course, it is nigh near impossible to explain why you have chosen to study such course if your personal statement is about something else completely. In addition, the SAQ is explained here as an expansion to the PS, not a standalone unit

link to above is here: https://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/applying-year

From King's website:
The application also gives you the chance to write a personal statement where you can display your passion for your subject area, while demonstrating the motivation, skills and experiences that will enable you to succeed at university.
I would consider the fact that it is hard to convey passion if you are discussing about another subject in your PS

From Corpus Christi
At Cambridge we’re keen to hear how you pursue your interest in the subject – not just in class but independently too. This could involve: extra reading attending lectures (including online lectures) academic competitions, such as the UKMT for mathematics. Tell us about these kinds of ‘supercurricular’ activities throughout your personal statement. Any good university is more interested in these than in extracurricular pursuits such as sports, music or drama.

And as a final point, when colleges talk about the relative unimportance of PSs it is mainly due to the fact that many unis simply don't have the courses offered at Cam! For example, when I got my offer for HSPS I'd applied with a politics statement and a further sociology/socan SAQ statement. If OP was applying to, for example, ANSAC and was applying to History elsewhere I think leeway could be provided. But when OP is applying to a subject already offered at Cambridge, the lack of a specifically honed PS will be evident

3)
And finally, even though it is Oxford, it is rather still applicable to Cambridge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy4bEL85mDU
from about 8 minutes in when the tutor from LMH discusses Personal statements

Many thanks
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The hsps website is less picky https://www.hsps.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/faq

OP - you should probably contact hsps directly for more advice. If you have the grades and test results to be shortlisted for interview and can justify your choices in person then it shouldn’t be a problem.

Cambridge often have applications with a PS aimed at other subjects because an applicant wants to study a Cambridge specific course at Cambridge but will settle for something else elsewhere. Usually the different courses are fairly similar but not always.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads