zofiac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i am going into year ten the following term and would like to know if there is anything i can do to get at least 8s and 9s in my next exam.my target grade is 8 for all subjects but in my last practice exam i only got 5s and one 8. ive never really revised before so any tips are welcome.
Mara1680
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1. Find a revision method that works for you. This will take a while, a lot of trial and error but it's the 6 weeks so you have a lot of time anyway. People learn differently. Some learn the best through listening (in which case you'll be better off with YouTube and such instead of reading textbooks), some through writing (aka you should make a lot of notes), some through practice (for science this can be doing practicals or going over them in your head).
Find what helps you learn the best.

2. Familiarise yourself with the exam structure and questions. There is nothing worse than going into an exam and not knowing what to expect. To do this, you should find out what exam board you're doing for each subject (they might differ, I did some GCSEs under AQA, some under Edexcel and some under OCR). After you find that out, you want to look at the exam structure. That is, how many papers there are, what are the differences between them, how much time you get, how many and what questions there are, how each paper is weighted etc.

3. Mocks and past papers. It's killing me to give you this advice because personally I hated doing past papers, but it will help you more than anything else. Find past papers for the subjects you want to revise (make sure it's the right exam board) and do them in the same time you would have during a real exam. No help from the internet, textbooks etc, no matter how tempting. After you're done, find the mark scheme for that particular past paper. It will tell you the right and wrong answers and sometimes with open questions, what is and isn't going to get you marks.

4. If you get stuck on a question, move on. Don't waste time, you can catch up on other questions.

5. Don't be afraid to reach out to your teachers for help. This can be in the form of grading mocks you did at home or explaining something you struggle with or even setting you additional homework. If a teacher happens to be an *******, ask a different teacher (of the same subject) or the head of faculty.

6. Science is all about keywords. You can write a great answer, but if it doesn't use the words on the markscheme, you won't get any/many points. So make sure you know these words.

7. English is all about being perceptive. Many people fail at that because they look for the fancy language features and then they're stuck explaining something that doesn't make sense or doesn't link to the question. Come up with a wild idea that nobody else has thought about - and then provide as much evidence and explanation as you can. This is very important because without explaining and providing evidence, your marks will be quite low regardless of the quality of your points.

8. Read the question carefully. Re-read if you have to. If you write a great answer that doesn't answer the question you will get 0 marks.

9. Turn in all coursework on time. Make it as good as you can. This might influence your actual GCSE grade so treat it seriously.

10. Don't stress about it too much. 5s in year 9 are fine. You have another 2 years to improve.
zofiac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Mara1680)
1. Find a revision method that works for you. This will take a while, a lot of trial and error but it's the 6 weeks so you have a lot of time anyway. People learn differently. Some learn the best through listening (in which case you'll be better off with YouTube and such instead of reading textbooks), some through writing (aka you should make a lot of notes), some through practice (for science this can be doing practicals or going over them in your head).
Find what helps you learn the best.

2. Familiarise yourself with the exam structure and questions. There is nothing worse than going into an exam and not knowing what to expect. To do this, you should find out what exam board you're doing for each subject (they might differ, I did some GCSEs under AQA, some under Edexcel and some under OCR). After you find that out, you want to look at the exam structure. That is, how many papers there are, what are the differences between them, how much time you get, how many and what questions there are, how each paper is weighted etc.

3. Mocks and past papers. It's killing me to give you this advice because personally I hated doing past papers, but it will help you more than anything else. Find past papers for the subjects you want to revise (make sure it's the right exam board) and do them in the same time you would have during a real exam. No help from the internet, textbooks etc, no matter how tempting. After you're done, find the mark scheme for that particular past paper. It will tell you the right and wrong answers and sometimes with open questions, what is and isn't going to get you marks.

4. If you get stuck on a question, move on. Don't waste time, you can catch up on other questions.

5. Don't be afraid to reach out to your teachers for help. This can be in the form of grading mocks you did at home or explaining something you struggle with or even setting you additional homework. If a teacher happens to be an *******, ask a different teacher (of the same subject) or the head of faculty.

6. Science is all about keywords. You can write a great answer, but if it doesn't use the words on the markscheme, you won't get any/many points. So make sure you know these words.

7. English is all about being perceptive. Many people fail at that because they look for the fancy language features and then they're stuck explaining something that doesn't make sense or doesn't link to the question. Come up with a wild idea that nobody else has thought about - and then provide as much evidence and explanation as you can. This is very important because without explaining and providing evidence, your marks will be quite low regardless of the quality of your points.

8. Read the question carefully. Re-read if you have to. If you write a great answer that doesn't answer the question you will get 0 marks.

9. Turn in all coursework on time. Make it as good as you can. This might influence your actual GCSE grade so treat it seriously.

10. Don't stress about it too much. 5s in year 9 are fine. You have another 2 years to improve.
thank you so much! this was very helpful
Mara1680
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zofiac)
thank you so much! this was very helpful
No problem. If you need any more help don't be afraid to ask.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed