username42530853
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
'Suppose that the prime factorisation of N is p_1^{a_1}p_2^{a_2}...p_n^{a_n}, where p_1 < p_2 < ... < p_n and a_i >1. Prove that the number of factors of N is (a_1 +1)(a_2 +1)...(a_n +1).'

Can someone please help to explain the solution to this question?
Last edited by username42530853; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username42530853)
'Suppose that the prime factorisation of N is p_1^{a_1}p_2^{a_2}...p_n^{a_n}, where p_1 < p_2 < ... < p_n and a_i >1. Prove that the number of factors of N is (a_1 +1)(a_2 +1)...(a_n +1).'

Can someone please help to explain the solution to this question?
Just think of an n-dimensional box with each prime on one dimension.

If necessary, create a simple example with 2 primes, say 2 and 3 and a couple of low exponents. How do you represent each factor on a grid?
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
JustSomeGuy:/
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can't you just solve it with standard combinatorics? Since the question is just asking how many different combinations of the exponents of the factors there are.
username42530853
Rep:
?
(Original post by JustSomeGuy:/)
Can't you just solve it with standard combinatorics? Since the question is just asking how many different combinations of the exponents of the factors there are.
Pls explain
JustSomeGuy:/
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username42530853)
Pls explain
Each factor (p) of N appears a times. What I mean is that p^1, p^2, p^3,..., p^a are all factors of N, as said in the question. We also include p^0 as 1 is obviously a factor of N. This means that in total there are a+1 choices for your power of p, each of which provide a different factor of N. Now we extend this to different factors of N (p_1, p_2, p_3, p_4,..., p_n). Each of which having their own unique a and therefore we can state that the factor p_n will have a_n+1 different powers to choose from. If we wish to find all possible combinations for the factors of N, we just multiply all these different combinations together and hence we end up with our final result, (a_1 +1)(a_2 +1)...(a_n +1).
Sorry if I wasn't very clear, feel free to ask for an explanation for any parts that were poorly put.
Last edited by JustSomeGuy:/; 1 month ago
username42530853
Rep:
?
(Original post by JustSomeGuy:/)
Each factor (p) of N appears a times. What I mean is that p^1, p^2, p^3,..., p^a are all factors of N, as said in the question. We also include p^0 as 1 is obviously a factor of N. This means that in total there are a+1 choices for your power of p, each of which provide a different factor of N. Now we extend this to different factors of N (p_1, p_2, p_3, p_4,..., p_n). Each of which having their own unique a and therefore we can state that the factor p_n will have a_n+1 different powers to choose from. If we wish to find all possible combinations for the factors of N, we just multiply all these different combinations together and hence we end up with our final result, (a_1 +1)(a_2 +1)...(a_n +1).
Sorry if I wasn't very clear, feel free to ask for an explanation for any parts that were poorly put.
Thank you for explaining, it's all at lot more clear to me now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise