The Student Room Group

I'm about to start uni in sept and have some concersn

I was reading through the modules in depth and most were coursework with presentations.
I'm quite reserved so even though they are 15 mins, will it be infront of a large lecture hall?

Second, each module has so much content and learning objectives; I'm used to a level having 8 topics and I just finish them, practice and do the exam.

Anyone else overwhelmed, I'm going to put my best effort since day 1 and is it enough for me to get 70% in all 3 years.
Original post by Anonymous
I was reading through the modules in depth and most were coursework with presentations.
I'm quite reserved so even though they are 15 mins, will it be infront of a large lecture hall?

Second, each module has so much content and learning objectives; I'm used to a level having 8 topics and I just finish them, practice and do the exam.

Anyone else overwhelmed, I'm going to put my best effort since day 1 and is it enough for me to get 70% in all 3 years.

Hi!

It is quite normal to be overwhelmed by the thought of going to uni, it is a completely new experience and very different to school/college.

I can't speak for your university, but i wouldn't imagine you would be asked to give a presentation in front of hundreds of students - these usually take place in smaller seminar groups and some presentations you complete as part of a group.

You should think of university as a full time commitment and although there is a lot of content to cover over the course of your degree, if you break down each section and schedule your time properly, you won't have an issue covering all the content i promise!

Getting a 1st at university is going to be hard work, but if you put in the time and commitment, liaise with your tutors and module coordinators, there is no reason you can't achieve a good grade!

Best of luck :smile:

Andrew
UoP Student Rep
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

It is quite normal to be overwhelmed by the thought of going to uni, it is a completely new experience and very different to school/college.

I can't speak for your university, but i wouldn't imagine you would be asked to give a presentation in front of hundreds of students - these usually take place in smaller seminar groups and some presentations you complete as part of a group.

You should think of university as a full time commitment and although there is a lot of content to cover over the course of your degree, if you break down each section and schedule your time properly, you won't have an issue covering all the content i promise!

Getting a 1st at university is going to be hard work, but if you put in the time and commitment, liaise with your tutors and module coordinators, there is no reason you can't achieve a good grade!

Best of luck :smile:

Andrew
UoP Student Rep

thank you so much for this andrew.

Yeah i can maybe handle a small group or with others.
I'll treat uni as a job and put my best effort to get a 1st.
when i did my presentation in first year it was in front of the lecturer and 10-15 others. they usually do them in seminar classes where there’s max 20-30 people. Don’t worry about it. Everyone is going to be in the same boat as you and they will be feeling the exact same. When it comes to presentations try to do yours as early as you can to get it over and done with.
My presentation in second year was recorded and sent to the lecturer so i had no crowd. this was due to online teaching and covid. So it could go either way.
It really isn’t as bad as you think, you will be fine, others are feeling the exact same!!
Original post by Anonymous

Presentations often take part in seminars where the groups are much much smaller.
Remember everyone is in the same boat, and once you get over doing one you get used to doing them pretty quickly. Also, you tend to find that your peers switch off when others are presenting so as long as you focus on your tutor you should be fine!

It's definitely normal to feel overwhelmed at the thought of all the work involved and it does sound cliche but you will get used to it. Just tackle one thing at a time, figure out what learning/revision method works for, make a plan and stick to it. If I could give one bit of advice it's to start the reading when you get an assignment right away. Even if you don't start the essay, make notes and make a rough plan so that when you do come to starting it, you have a good outline to go from.
Reply 5
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Presentations often take part in seminars where the groups are much much smaller.
Remember everyone is in the same boat, and once you get over doing one you get used to doing them pretty quickly. Also, you tend to find that your peers switch off when others are presenting so as long as you focus on your tutor you should be fine!

It's definitely normal to feel overwhelmed at the thought of all the work involved and it does sound cliche but you will get used to it. Just tackle one thing at a time, figure out what learning/revision method works for, make a plan and stick to it. If I could give one bit of advice it's to start the reading when you get an assignment right away. Even if you don't start the essay, make notes and make a rough plan so that when you do come to starting it, you have a good outline to go from.

will 100% do the last advice you gave. i have a habit of starting last minute
Reply 6
I had the same concern and i have social anxiety so it’s something i don’t think i can physically do, like i can’t even speak up when i’m in groups of 3 :/
Original post by mxx454
I had the same concern and i have social anxiety so it’s something i don’t think i can physically do, like i can’t even speak up when i’m in groups of 3 :/

Now is the time to start getting on top of that sort of worry. University is about the safest place there is to start practicing a short presentation in front of a few people. It’s a key transferable skill and pretty much every university course will want you to do this and train you how. Once you are in a job and the boss says “oh, present your project tomorrow 9am to the board” it’s too late.

Quick Reply