Will my GCSE grades affect me getting into medicine?

Watch
franksfoot1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
At GCSE I got:
Maths - 7
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 7
Physics - 7
Geography - 6
German - 6
English language - 6
English literature - 7
History - 6
PE - level 2 distinction

I didn't get to sit my GCSEs last year due to covid, so I got CAGs. I feel as if I would've done a lot better, especially on biology and physics. Not that it matters now! I am just a little worried that these grades will hold me back? And if so, what can I do about it?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, but mixing up 'effect' and 'affect' probably will affect your chances.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And you got an A and a B at GCSE in English. Incredible.
idk44
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, don't worry
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
PRSOM. That irritated me, too. But I think I, at least, am getting old and curmudgeonly! :lol:
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by franksfoot1)
At GCSE I got:
Maths - 7
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 7
Physics - 7
Geography - 6
German - 6
English language - 6
English literature - 7
History - 6
PE - level 2 distinction

I didn't get to sit my GCSEs last year due to covid, so I got CAGs. I feel as if I would've done a lot better, especially on biology and physics. Not that it matters now! I am just a little worried that these grades will hold me back? And if so, what can I do about it?
You will need to avoid GCSE-heavy medical schools like Oxford, Liverpool, Leeds and Cardiff, but if you apply strategically you'll have a perfectly good chance of getting in. Have a look at how med schools were using GCSEs for 2021 entry here (some of it has changed but a good springboard): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...e-requirements
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At GCSE I got:
Maths - 7
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 7
Physics - 7
Geography - 6
German - 6
English language - 6
English literature - 7
History - 6
PE - level 2 distinction

You would need to avoid some of the med schools that shortlist using GCSEs, primarily, eg Cardiff, Leeds, Oxford, QUB and those with >5 As at GCSE required, eg Manchester, UEA, and depending on your UCAT, those that score GCSEs with UCAT, eg Leicester, Aston, but you have 6+ in Eng, maths nd sciences, so you meet minimum requirements for several med schools - shortlisting will depends on admissions test scores
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
PRSOM. That irritated me, too. But I think I, at least, am getting old and curmudgeonly! :lol:
PRSOM, I'm so curmudgeonly I changed it :rofl: (19 going on 75....)
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
You are not curmudgeonly! You are Mary Poppins - Practically Perfect in Every Way
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think I've been curmudgeonly since birth, to be honest. I hate to say it, but I'm turning into my father a bit.

:laugh: thank you: it was beginning to make me itch a bit.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think I've been curmudgeonly since birth, to be honest. I hate to say it, but I'm turning into my father a bit.
I would love to turn into my mother - she was a far nicer person than I am!

Sure that is not the lumpy mattresses? :lol:
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are not curmudgeonly! You are Mary Poppins - Practically Perfect in Every Way
Easy when there's a keyboard and time before you write something down
:blush:

I know exactly what you mean :lol:
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sure that is not the lumpy mattresses? :lol:
:rofl: - time for a trip to John Lewis, I think.
DSMCubing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m not sure, but I think as long as you do pretty well in your a levels you should be fine
franksfoot1
Rep:
?
Haha and here I thought I'd cracked the difference between effect and affect.
franksfoot1
Rep:
?
You will need to avoid GCSE-heavy medical schools like Oxford, Liverpool, Leeds and Cardiff, but if you apply strategically you'll have a perfectly good chance of getting in. Have a look at how med schools were using GCSEs for 2021 entry here (some of it has changed but a good springboard): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...e-requirements
Thank you, this is super helpful!!
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At GCSE I got:
Maths - 7
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 7
Physics - 7
Geography - 6
German - 6
English language - 6
English literature - 7
History - 6
PE - level 2 distinction

hello @franksfoot1,

You have a good set of GCSEs! you meet the requirements for the University of Liverpool: GCSEs attained by the end of Year 11 which must include English Language, Mathematic, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics (or Core & Additional Science) at minimum grade B/6.

A minimum score of 15 points from the best 9 GCSEs or equivalents (where A*/A/7/8/9 = 2 points; B/6 = 1 points). BTEC (Non-Science) Level 2 and OCR awards (Distinction*/Distinction = 2 points) BTEC (Non-Science) Level 2 and OCR awards (Merit = 1 point).

Your A-Levels are a bigger priority so focus on those and good luck!

Antonia
University of Liverpool - Student rep
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep)
hello @franksfoot1,

You have a good set of GCSEs! you meet the requirements for the University of Liverpool: GCSEs attained by the end of Year 11 which must include English Language, Mathematic, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics (or Core & Additional Science) at minimum grade B/6.

A minimum score of 15 points from the best 9 GCSEs or equivalents (where A*/A/7/8/9 = 2 points; B/6 = 1 points). BTEC (Non-Science) Level 2 and OCR awards (Distinction*/Distinction = 2 points) BTEC (Non-Science) Level 2 and OCR awards (Merit = 1 point).

Your A-Levels are a bigger priority so focus on those and good luck!

Antonia
University of Liverpool - Student rep
This is a little misleading when students needed a very high overall score of around 94.5 (and therefore very good GCSEs or a high UCAT to make up for 1 or 2 6s or below) to be selected for interview at Liverpool this year!
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a little misleading when students needed a very high overall score of around 94.5 (and therefore very good GCSEs or a high UCAT to make up for 1 or 2 6s or below) to be selected for interview at Liverpool this year!
Hello,

Sorry if this is misleading, in the case of franksfoot1, the GCSE requirements have been met and the response was supposed to give some reassurance!

Antonia
University of Liverpool - student rep
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Haha and here I thought I'd cracked the difference between effect and affect.
Affect is the verb and effect is the noun. Except when you’re effecting change and when there’s been a loss of affect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.51%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.79%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.23%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (68)
26.88%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.58%

Watched Threads