zayyan387392
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello to everyone who reads this,

(if you do not want to read the context to my situation then skip to the second paragraph:] )

I'm truly at a loss over my A-Level subject choices. Originally, I was keen to follow the medicine route so i choose Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Gov & Politics but I soon came to realisation that the only reason why I wanted to go down medicine wasn't because of my so called passion. It was simply because it was always something I was told I had to do, I have south asian parents who heavily influenced me as I was told that was the only route. After mass confrontation with them I decided I wanted to do what I want to do so on results day i'm changing my subjects without telling them. Period.

That being said, i've decided that i want to go into politics. As of right now, i haven't decided what degree i wanted to go down (idk if i want to do IR degree, a politics degree, PPE, HSPS the list goes on) but i really would like some advice on A level choices. The selection i have right now is

English Lit
Biology
Gov & Politics
Philosophy
Economics
can also do geo and chem but those are subjects i don't really want to do

In terms of subject combination what do you think would work?

If anyone is also in sixth-form and is going down a similar route to me do let me know of any advice, books, extra circulars you recommend

Your help is truly appreciated by me <3
drs.vud.192
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zayyan387392)

(if you do not want to read the context to my situation then skip to the second paragraph:] )

I'm truly at a loss over my A-Level subject choices. Originally, I was keen to follow the medicine route so i choose Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Gov & Politics but I soon came to realisation that the only reason why I wanted to go down medicine wasn't because of my so called passion. It was simply because it was always something I was told I had to do, I have south asian parents who heavily influenced me as I was told that was the only route. After mass confrontation with them I decided I wanted to do what I want to do so on results day i'm changing my subjects without telling them. Period.

That being said, i've decided that i want to go into politics. As of right now, i haven't decided what degree i wanted to go down (idk if i want to do IR degree, a politics degree, PPE, HSPS the list goes on) but i really would like some advice on A level choices. The selection i have right now is

English Lit
Biology
Gov & Politics
Philosophy
Economics

If anyone is also in sixth-form and is going down a similar route to me do let me know of any advice, books, extra circulars you recommend

If you want to do PPE then I would strongly suggest that you do maths as it is a requirement for most PPE courses including Durham, UCL and LSE.
As for all your other ideas, none of them have specific subject requirements therefore you should be okay taking anything you want. I'd recommend taking politics as it shows interest (plus you'll probably really enjoy it) and whatever you want for the rest. From my research it appears that most universities are looking for students with an interest in social sciences, so subjects like economics, philosophy and govpol would be great. English lit would also be a fantastic subject to have, and biology would also be a very good subject to have.

I would recommend looking through the syllabus for each of the subjects you listed, and find which ones seem the most interesting to you. Then pick the two/three subjects you like the look of the most, along with govpol.
Any questions, just ask me
Last edited by drs.vud.192; 1 month ago
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

English Lit
Biology
Gov & Politics
Philosophy
Economics

Firstly, well done for following your own path. I'm sure your parents will come around on your options and support you soon. The advice on TSR is that if you are thinking of doing medicine or something else, do something else.

That being said, i've decided that i want to go into politics. As of right now, i haven't decided what degree i wanted to go down (idk if i want to do IR degree, a politics degree, PPE, HSPS the list goes on) but i really would like some advice on A level choices.

That's great! I don't think there are any specific subjects that you need for that degree, so definitely choose subjects that you enjoy. Double check the entry requirements of the universities you might want to attend. I think some PPE courses require A-Level Mathematics.

The selection i have right now is:
English Lit
Biology
Gov & Politics
Philosophy
Economics

Do not do Geography and Chemistry if those are subjects you have no interest in.

I don't think Biology will be very useful for the degrees you are considering, but if you want to take it, go ahead.

This leaves English Literature, Government and Politics, Philosophy and Economics. They are all very content-heavy subjects and universities are only expecting three A-Levels from you.

I suggest you get hold of the A-Level textbooks/specifications and scan through the content. Ask yourself whether you see yourself studying the subjects for two years.

Just a quick point to not buy any textbooks/revision guides just yet because your school may offer them at a discounted rate.
zayyan387392
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)

Firstly, well done for following your own path. I'm sure your parents will come around on your options and support you soon. The advice on TSR is that if you are thinking of doing medicine or something else, do something else.

That being said, i've decided that i want to go into politics. As of right now, i haven't decided what degree i wanted to go down (idk if i want to do IR degree, a politics degree, PPE, HSPS the list goes on) but i really would like some advice on A level choices.

That's great! I don't think there are any specific subjects that you need for that degree, so definitely choose subjects that you enjoy. Double check the entry requirements of the universities you might want to attend. I think some PPE courses require A-Level Mathematics.

The selection i have right now is:
English Lit
Biology
Gov & Politics
Philosophy
Economics

Do not do Geography and Chemistry if those are subjects you have no interest in.

I don't think Biology will be very useful for the degrees you are considering, but if you want to take it, go ahead.

This leaves English Literature, Government and Politics, Philosophy and Economics. They are all very content-heavy subjects and universities are only expecting three A-Levels from you.

I suggest you get hold of the A-Level textbooks/specifications and scan through the content. Ask yourself whether you see yourself studying the subjects for two years.

Just a quick point to not buy any textbooks/revision guides just yet because your school may offer them at a discounted rate.
Thank you for your response it means a lot :]

In terms of PPE, i've decided not to select it as a degree. GCSE maths was the biggest struggle for me, still have vivid nightmares of it, so A-Level Maths is just a no . I've definitely decided to pick Gov & Pol and Econ but i'm really unsure about my third subject was thinking to pick biology, as i do have passion for it, but it does seem quite irrelevant to my degree path.

again thanks for responding helped me a lot
Last edited by zayyan387392; 1 month ago
zayyan387392
Rep:
?
(Original post by drs.vud.192)
If you want to do PPE then I would strongly suggest that you do maths as it is a requirement for most PPE courses including Durham, UCL and LSE.
As for all your other ideas, none of them have specific subject requirements therefore you should be okay taking anything you want. I'd recommend taking politics as it shows interest (plus you'll probably really enjoy it) and whatever you want for the rest. From my research it appears that most universities are looking for students with an interest in social sciences, so subjects like economics, philosophy and govpol would be great. English lit would also be a fantastic subject to have, and biology would also be a very good subject to have.

I would recommend looking through the syllabus for each of the subjects you listed, and find which ones seem the most interesting to you. Then pick the two/three subjects you like the look of the most, along with govpol.
Any questions, just ask me

In terms of PPE, i've decided not to select it as a degree. GCSE maths was the biggest struggle for me, still have vivid nightmares of it, so A-Level Maths is just a no . I've definitely decided to pick Gov & Pol and Econ but i'm really unsure about my third subject was thinking to pick biology, as i do have passion for it, but it does seem quite irrelevant to my degree path.

I have one question for you, i've tried to research on this but i couldn't find an answer. A lot of students who go down politics, ir, etc tend to have History as an A-level. I picked Geo over History at GCSE and looking back at it i wish i didn't. Would i be scrutinised by unis if i don't have history? i know this is a dumb question but its something that i can't get out of my head

5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

No problem.

That's a good choice. Do not do a subject if you are sure you will struggle with it.

If you are finding it hard to choose only three subjects, start with four. You can drop one, anytime or take it to just AS.
Alishalol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m truly rlly glad you’re standing up for yourself! I’d say take economics since you don’t like maths to round stuff out.

Now that you like politics, take this.

And then an essay based subject like philosophy or English would be very good.

(I did a whole para about PPE but realised u didn’t want to take it 💀)

Make sure not to force yourself to do chem or maths if you truly don’t like it as it’s not worth it getting a bad grade!
Last edited by Alishalol; 1 month ago
zayyan387392
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alishalol)
I’m truly rlly glad you’re standing up for yourself! I’d say take economics since you don’t like maths to round stuff out.

Now that you like politics, take this.

And then an essay based subject like philosophy or English would be very good.

(I did a whole para about PPE but realised u didn’t want to take it 💀)

Make sure not to force yourself to do chem or maths if you truly don’t like it as it’s not worth it getting a bad grade
Thank you for rep

Honestly, with PPE there are some unis which do not have the maths requirement, uni of Birmingham for instance. So i honestly would not mind hearing your para about PPE but you do not have to write it again.

For A-levels, i know i'm deffo going to to do econ and gov & politics. I'm torn between english lit and philosophy as my third a-level but somebody suggested to take both and drop the one i don't like.

again thanks for you help
lalexm
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you have settled on Economic and Politics for A-levels, and you really don't have a strong preference for your 3rd, I would recommend either Philosophy, as they go really well together, hence the popularity and prestige of PPE courses, or English Lit, as it is a traditional/facilitating subject. I know the concept of facilitating subjects was dropped, but some people still refer to it, and there might still be a bit of extra value in doing such a traditional academic subject.

Having said all that, the most important thing is to do something you enjoy and are good at (although they normally go hand in hand)
zayyan387392
Rep:
?
(Original post by lalexm)
If you have settled on Economic and Politics for A-levels, and you really don't have a strong preference for your 3rd, I would recommend either Philosophy, as they go really well together, hence the popularity and prestige of PPE courses, or English Lit, as it is a traditional/facilitating subject. I know the concept of facilitating subjects was dropped, but some people still refer to it, and there might still be a bit of extra value in doing such a traditional academic subject.

Having said all that, the most important thing is to do something you enjoy and are good at (although they normally go hand in hand)
thank you for your response

yeah thats the debate i'm having in my head on one hand, English lit is seen as an academic subject whilst philosophy ties in quite well with Econ and Politics. Most likely scenario of what i'll do is pick both and drop the one which i feel wont suit me as much.

thanks again
sj.21
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you for your response

yeah thats the debate i'm having in my head on one hand, English lit is seen as an academic subject whilst philosophy ties in quite well with Econ and Politics. Most likely scenario of what i'll do is pick both and drop the one which i feel wont suit me as much.

thanks again
What about psychology as it ties in well with econ and politics. Also i am tutoring in economics for those going into year 12 so they can get a better grip of the subject and a head start. Please free to reach out if interested
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads