DSMCubing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So basically I am a year 9 student and I am in top set maths. I recently finished my end of year exams and I got 80% on both maths papers (calc and non calc, higher tier), and if I am hopefully in top set maths in year 10 do you guys think I would be able to do further maths as a gcse?
agent37
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds good but to make sure here are some things I'd advise you to do first

1) check if your school offers this and if not, discuss with your parents if you'd be able to study out of school - many schools don't do the further maths qualification! It's not a proper GCSE by the way, it's only a Level 2 qualification!

2) try sitting a full maths GCSE mock paper and see how you do! (This is not totally unreasonable as you do learn a lot in year 9 and personally I had been able to achieve a nine in the maths GCSE papers in year 9 - do not be disheartened if you get below a nine obviously, but you'd be looking at somewhere like a 7 if you are a top student!)

3) How well did you do in terms of being in top set? Eg. were your grades in the end of year exams low compared to other people in top set or were they high?

(Original post by DSMCubing)
So basically I am a year 9 student and I am in top set maths. I recently finished my end of year exams and I got 80% on both maths papers (calc and non calc, higher tier), and if I am hopefully in top set maths in year 10 do you guys think I would be able to do further maths as a gcse?
DSMCubing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by agent37)
Sounds good but to make sure here are some things I'd advise you to do first

1) check if your school offers this and if not, discuss with your parents if you'd be able to study out of school - many schools don't do the further maths qualification! It's not a proper GCSE by the way, it's only a Level 2 qualification!

2) try sitting a full maths GCSE mock paper and see how you do! (This is not totally unreasonable as you do learn a lot in year 9 and personally I had been able to achieve a nine in the maths GCSE papers in year 9 - do not be disheartened if you get below a nine obviously, but you'd be looking at somewhere like a 7 if you are a top student!)

3) How well did you do in terms of being in top set? Eg. were your grades in the end of year exams low compared to other people in top set or were they high?
Thanks for the advice! I know that my school does offer further maths, but I will try to sit a gcse mock and see how I do, in terms of how I do in top set to be honest I am not the best compared to others, some people got 95%+, but I still feel like I am not doing too badly
Last edited by DSMCubing; 1 month ago
agent37
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DSMCubing)
Thanks for the advice! I know that my school does offer further maths, but I will try to sit a gcse mock and see how I do, in terms of how I do in top set to be honest I am not the best compared to others, some people got 95%+, but I still feel like I am not doing too badly
Great to hear that your school does offer it! From what it sounds like, you seem to be a very hard-working student (which is the best kind)!

Even if you may feel like you're not doing as well as you would have liked (which I'm sure is not the case), you can always discuss with your school and I'm sure they'd be happy to help. Also, the Year 9-10 summer is a great time for studying anyway! e.g. work through some CGP books and maybe watch some videos!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (16)
6.96%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.78%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (40)
17.39%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.78%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.52%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed