How to get a job during university?

Watch
quxaroats
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm not sure what forum this should go in as I'm new but I'm thinking about my options for university and University of Reading looks promising. Doing my research I realise I may not get much maintenance loan and my parents are unlikely to help me out as I'm currently in apprenticeship and they assume the money I have will last. Is it easy to get a job around University of Reading or in the area? I'm worried about moving there and not being able to survive, I understand there is the option to stay at home but I just want to leave home. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.
katie.weston
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Universities have a certain area / place where you can ask about employment, can’t quite remember the name, someone else may know the name of it
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by quxaroats)
I'm not sure what forum this should go in as I'm new but I'm thinking about my options for university and University of Reading looks promising. Doing my research I realise I may not get much maintenance loan and my parents are unlikely to help me out as I'm currently in apprenticeship and they assume the money I have will last. Is it easy to get a job around University of Reading or in the area? I'm worried about moving there and not being able to survive, I understand there is the option to stay at home but I just want to leave home. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.
There are likely to be shops, supermarkets, fast food places, cafes, restaurants, cinemas, touristy type places etc etc etc around there. Plus there may be jobs at the uni you could do.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You will have a Careers Service who usually run an appropriate web page / bulletin etc for notifying you about part-time jobs, both on campus and outside. Often there are ad-hoc jobs like helping out at Open Days

Look on 'Indeed' - it gathers together jobs from other sites and has an easy search facility.
Also look directly on company websites for jobs with the big names - Boots, Sainsburys, big restaurant chains etc.
Get in early - firms start recruiting for Christmas jobs in October.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! quxaroats

Most universities have a career service. There they help with your CV and interview skills, but also a lot of local businesses will advertise through the uni as they're looking specifically for students.

I'd recommend looking for flexible hours, as then it can work well alongside your timetable and uni commitments. Places like club promotion and working for the university as ambassadors are great opportunities for work.
Also, before you move there look for jobs in the area to apply before everyone else arrives. Or in your first week spend one of the days handing out CVs to local businesses.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey quxaroats,

First of all, it is great to hear you're thinking about coming to the University of Reading!

In terms of working at uni, I think it's pretty easy to get a job. We have a specific campus jobs portal for student jobs and there are always new jobs being posted there. Additionally, you can look for jobs within the town centre as we're only a short 25 min walk away as we have lots of different shops and restaurants you can work in. Also, I would try to pick up lots of bits of extra work throughout the rest of the summer to try and ease some of the pressure off!

I hope this helps you out and feel free to let us know if you have any other questions!
From,

Amina 😊
3rd year pharmacy student
quxaroats
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you so much for all of the replies, its really put my mind at ease and I feel quite comfortable with the thought of moving away from home and being financially stable.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for all of the replies, its really put my mind at ease and I feel quite comfortable with the thought of moving away from home and being financially stable.
Hey quxaroats

I totally agree with everything Amina has said! I work as a student ambassador and as a waitress in town and find both jobs fulfilling and flexible and the money goes a long way.

I would also like to add, in terms of financial support the University is in a position to offer some in certain circumstances, so just know there is help if you require it. On top of this as a last resort I'd suggest having a look into what bursaries you may be eligible for. These can depend on your circumstances and things such as the subject you wish to study, your gender or family background can also make you eligible for certain bursaries. Might be worth a quick google to see if you are eligible for any, as you don't ever have to pay a bursary back. You essentially have nothing to loose.

Good luck starting University,

Zoe
Third year Biological sciences and student ambassador
angelofessence
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll say this, there is plenty of work going around right now! I've never actually seen so many adverts in shop windows like I have today. Because of covid and places re-opening, a lot of businesses lost staff and are in desperate need! I even know of a couple of friends who were unemployed for 2+ years and have conjured up a job recently! I even got some phone calls from recruiters and HR departments who found my CV online and this is something that just never happened pre-covid. I think the market is finally switching into the job seekers favour as opposed to it being an employers market like it has been for the past few decades. You'll land yourself a job no problem at all regardless of wherever you go!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.51%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.79%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.23%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (68)
26.88%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.58%

Watched Threads