Civil service - vague application questions?

Watch
jennyh1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I´ve applied for a few civil service roles where the application questions have been things like "The ability to maintain attention to detail and accuracy with a capability to respond to gaps, errors and irregularities in information" which I did fine with.

Now I´m applying for a different role where the questions are just "a time you´ve demonstrated X behaviour" and I don´t understand how to proceed.

For, say, working together. Would my answer need to cover all 6 examples they give on the framework? Or do I just need to cover 1 or 2 areas of it? And would it matter which aspects I focus on?

Advice from anyone who has been through an application like this successfully would be welcome! It´s an AO role.
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh god, I hated applying for these. I actually scored in the top 3% for the Maths test, but never got the job for the Accounts Officer as covid hit last year. If I remember correctly, there should be a document that goes through how to answer each section and how to relate to the framework thingy. I'll see if I can track it down. I just remember spending like 3 hours on an application last year. Always best to put the time into Civil Service applications.
jennyh1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Thanks - I got reserve listed for one role - actually the one I took my example question from above! But I cannot for the life of me work out where to start on this application. I feel like I need the structure.
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think in these situations, they probably focus more on your writing skills, along with how you express your points. This can be from showing you've at least made some effort to read the framework; however, I'm sure it doesn't have to cover everything. It's just a case of expressing what you want to say well and selling yourself.

With asking about demonstrating "X" behaviour, I would just try and find a time you have demonstrated a particular skill and how you can transfer those skills over to relate to the current position, or responsibility in that role. You'd be surprised at how many transferrable skills people can have, even when transferring from a completely unrelated field. If you can save your application for later, I'd sleep on it over the weekend whilst you think.
Last edited by NovaeSci; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads