The Student Room Group

Living in London (hopefully!)

So, one of my biggest dreams would be to live in London. Now, I am aware that it is incredibly expensive and on a school trip once, a teacher said that he didn't think any of us would be lucky enough to live in London which knocked my confidence about it a bit. I am from a working class background, but it is my dream to live in London in my 20s. I am currently 16, and so I have time to plan but how do I plan everything so that this can be a possibility. How likely does it seem? I will obviously have to have a well-paid job which means working up to that, but that could take me years and I want to spend the youth of my 20s in London. Is there a way I could do this or will I only be likely to live here if I come for university here?
It is definitely a possibility- as an undergrad, postgrad or young professional. :smile:

Accomodation and standard of living costs do tend to be quite high in London.
But there are options that cater to a variety of different budgets and lifestyles.
Student only accomodation complexes, rented rooms in houseshares, studio apartments, one bed flats, property guardians paying a reduced rent to temporarily look after empty premises to deter squatters/vandals.
Original post by EllieKing2004
So, one of my biggest dreams would be to live in London. Now, I am aware that it is incredibly expensive and on a school trip once, a teacher said that he didn't think any of us would be lucky enough to live in London which knocked my confidence about it a bit. I am from a working class background, but it is my dream to live in London in my 20s. I am currently 16, and so I have time to plan but how do I plan everything so that this can be a possibility. How likely does it seem? I will obviously have to have a well-paid job which means working up to that, but that could take me years and I want to spend the youth of my 20s in London. Is there a way I could do this or will I only be likely to live here if I come for university here?

Heh Ellie, I hope you get your dream!

The #1 thing you will need is a job in London paying a decent amount. That's not quite as problematic as it might be, there are currently lots of well paid jobs and quite a lot of labour shortages, so in theory anyway, it should be easy. The difficulty is that a lot of the well paid ones want lots of experience.

One way into London is to go to university in London. That can be challenging in itself - rents are steep and a lot of students struggle to find somewhere affordable in the later years of their courses - some are better than others in supporting students with this and in the percentage of students offered campus accommodation. The good side is that you would be there, getting used to living in the city, learning the ropes (life in London can be a bit complicated and daunting, at least at first) and hopefully getting to know people. Also applying for jobs in London from a university in London is I think a little easier than for some, in normal non-Covid times anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending