Executive dysfunction

Watch
starmoney
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Who is experiencing this or has experienced this?
How are you dealing with this / how did you overcome this?

4 years and 2 months of my life has gone to waste cause of this and I can't afford therapy.
Anneka1990
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have schizophrenia and have noticed issues with my memory, attention span and concentration since developing the illness. It is part of the cognitive symptoms. Day to day it just gets a bit irritating but when I previously did a year of uni and my access course it caused a noticeable difference in grades. For example exams relying purely on memory I’m not very good at and barely passed whereas essays and lab reports where I just need to organise and structure information I was getting 80% in them. I applied for dsa for this year and am being given lots of assistive software like speech to text software and recording devices, mind mapping software so I’m hoping this will help for this coming year.
Last edited by Anneka1990; 1 month ago
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what do you mean by executive dysfunction?
starmoney
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anneka1990)
I have schizophrenia and have noticed issues with my memory, attention span and concentration since developing the illness. It is part of the cognitive symptoms. Day to day it just gets a bit irritating but when I previously did a year of uni and my access course it caused a noticeable difference in grades. For example exams relying purely on memory I’m not very good at and barely passed whereas essays and lab reports where I just need to organise and structure information I was getting 80% in them. I applied for dsa for this year and am being given lots of assistive software like speech to text software and recording devices, mind mapping software so I’m hoping this will help for this coming year.
I have it to and I'm really worried about exams etc
starmoney
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anneka1990)
I have it to although I don't know the cause. It got worse after the age of 16 and then it stayed bad. I'm trying to overcome it? Do you know if it's possible?
Anneka1990
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by starmoney)
I have it to and I'm really worried about exams etc
I did a year of uni and did terribly in exams same at college. To the point where I’d do an essay or lab report and then an exam for the same module and I’d be getting 80% for the written assignment and like 40% and barely passing for the exam! I applied for dsa and they have been really helpful and provided me with lots of software and a disability mentor in case I get ill so I’ll see them say once a week to check in so hopefully they might notice warning signs.

I also applied for pip because it causes me insomnia and just general day time fatigue and I don’t really go out and access the community or see people unless it’s through work so can get isolated and this only got worse with the stress and busy workload of uni. I didn’t get it the first time round but my care coordinator has told me so many times to appeal and gave me a charity number to call. Called them up the other day and they said I should definately appeal and are helping me to do so. So hopefully I won’t have to work as much if I do get some help if I don’t I’ll have to work like pretty much both days (12 hours a day) at the weekend every week to just pay bills! You should look into both dsa and pip if u haven’t already
Last edited by Anneka1990; 1 month ago
Anneka1990
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have it to although I don't know the cause. It got worse after the age of 16 and then it stayed bad. I'm trying to overcome it? Do you know if it's possible?
Sticking to treatment plans whether that means medications prescribed or therapies gives you a good chance at remaining stable. Other than that eating well, trying to exercise and sleep well will all help. And having a good support network around you. I know it can be difficult to do all of that, my sleep for example is terrible and I can’t take my prescribed sleeping tablets when I have work in the morning because I’d be too drowsy so I just take them when I have a day off. And it can be hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle because meds make you put on weight but I just do what I can and take small steps and I’ve managed to lose almost 2 stone since start of this year. Here if u need support though.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by black tea)
what do you mean by executive dysfunction?
I just thought it was an odd autocorrect from erectile :lol:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I experience this a lot (have schizoaffective disorder, which is like a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar). It is incredibly challenging, for sure, which is why it's important to get all the disability/mental health support in place that you can...
starmoney
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I experience this a lot (have schizoaffective disorder, which is like a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar). It is incredibly challenging, for sure, which is why it's important to get all the disability/mental health support in place that you can...
Can you treat it?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you treat it?
My executive dysfunction? It can't be cured as far as I know: whether it's a side effect of the psychosis, or down to long-term medication, is unclear :iiam: So in my case at least, it's more about learning to cope with it and making sure reasonable adjustments are in place in education and work settings. That and not biting off more than I can chew

You say things got worse for you after the age of 16 - is it OK to ask how old you are now? Are you at uni and if so, do you have exam concessions/arrangements and Disabled Students' Allowance? Coz that can make quite a difference, in my opinion, having those kinda things in place, as well as support from uni disability office to make sure lecturers don't pick on you without warning in lectures/seminars, etc. :yes:
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I have it pretty bad. I need to study but nothing goes in. Hell, I can't even watch a cartoon or movie as I instantly forget what I saw.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.28%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
13.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (9)
14.75%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
11.48%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
40.98%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
16.39%

Watched Threads