The Student Room Group

Depo injection

Hi. I recently stopped taking the depo injection. I started in December 2020 due to being in a relationship. I stopped taking it due to gaining over 5 stone in weight in just over 6 months. I only came on my period once after taking the injection. My last injection was March 2021 and I have only been on my period once since then. I have severe stomach pains and most days struggle to even move. Has this happened to anyone else? It’s starting to worry me and my doctor said there is nothing they can do. My boyfriend has started getting worried too and has stopped coming to see me because of how much pain I’m in because he hates to see me hurting and bought be back home to my parents so they can look after me. I might be over reacting but it’s getting worse and it’s now affecting other health problems I have.
What happens when you stop using Depo-Provera......
However, there are many reports in blogs and on discussion forums from women having problems like weight gain, hot flashes, painful breasts, sleeping problems, headaches, flu symptoms and nausea when discontinuing Depo-Provera.

When you’re on Depo-Provera, you may notice side effects like:
Uneven menstrual periods or no periods at all
Headaches
Nervousness
Depression
Dizziness
Acne
Changes in appetite
Weight gain
Unwanted facial and body hair
Hair loss
Loss of bone mineral density
Belly pain
Bloating
Breakthrough bleeding
Fatigue
Less interest in sex
Weakness
Changes to your menstrual cycle are the most common side effects. After a year of use, about 50% of women will stop getting their periods. If this happens to you, your period should come back when you stop getting the shots.Long-term use of Depo-Provera may cause you to lose bone mineral density, which makes you more likely to get osteoporosis. Your chances are higher if you've taken the shot for longer than 2 years, especially if osteoporosis runs in your family, if you drink a lot, if you smoke, or if you have other risk factors for the condition.
Withdrawal from Depo-Provera
A few women have reported flu-like symptoms and unusual bleeding after stopping Depo-Provera, but there isn’t much research on whether these things are linked. Other women report symptoms similar to the known side effects.

How long do side effects last after stopping Depo........

Like all medicines, there can be side effects with the shot. But lots of people adjust to the shot with no problems. Many negative side effects usually go away after 2-3 months, once your body gets used to the shot. You can use our birth control app to keep track of the side effects you may be having.
Original post by Charlotte2312
Hi. I recently stopped taking the depo injection. I started in December 2020 due to being in a relationship. I stopped taking it due to gaining over 5 stone in weight in just over 6 months. I only came on my period once after taking the injection. My last injection was March 2021 and I have only been on my period once since then. I have severe stomach pains and most days struggle to even move. Has this happened to anyone else? It’s starting to worry me and my doctor said there is nothing they can do. My boyfriend has started getting worried too and has stopped coming to see me because of how much pain I’m in because he hates to see me hurting and bought be back home to my parents so they can look after me. I might be over reacting but it’s getting worse and it’s now affecting other health problems I have.

If you having issues then your GP should be helping you but you said your GP saying there's nothing they can do for you which is strange unless they think you are fine .!!
The Depot injection has lots of side effects which could be the problems you having here.
I wrote above some points on this to see if it helps you okay x

I'm a registered NHS adult nurse.

Quick Reply

Latest