The Student Room Group

Selling a Countryside Estate (Dacha) - This is Sad - AMA

I am a 38 years old white male living in London. I have spent most of my life living outside of my native country, and nearly 25 years in the UK.
The countryside estate is located in the Russian Federation - in the prefecture of Kaluga and dozens of kilometers away from Moscow, the Russian capital. I currently own half a share of the estate.
My estate was built in the years of about 1978-79 (before I was born) and is based as part of a 'community' of many other estates in the same countryside region. I have been familiar with this estate (or 'dacha' as it is in Russian) since my childhood.
You are welcome to ask me questions if you want. I might not be able or comfortable with answering EVERY possible question, but I will probably answer most of them. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I am a 38 years old white male living in London. I have spent most of my life living outside of my native country, and nearly 25 years in the UK.
The countryside estate is located in the Russian Federation - in the prefecture of Kaluga and dozens of kilometers away from Moscow, the Russian capital. I currently own half a share of the estate.
My estate was built in the years of about 1978-79 (before I was born) and is based as part of a 'community' of many other estates in the same countryside region. I have been familiar with this estate (or 'dacha' as it is in Russian) since my childhood.
You are welcome to ask me questions if you want. I might not be able or comfortable with answering EVERY possible question, but I will probably answer most of them. Thanks.

How's the KGB?
Reply 2
How's the KGB?

Those guys are fine - as ever !
Reply 3
Thanks. Good question. I think I did imagine that this question would be asked.
Basically because I really doubt that I will be using the estate. That I will even be visiting it. Though it should be taken care of. But in any case, I am liable to pay a tax to the state as an owner (as far as I understand), plus some expenses in connection with the estate. And why have the burden of that IF I won't be using the property ? Plus, after all, I am living in the UK - thousands of kms away from where the estate is located. So even if I choose to visit it, I will have to make a number of long journeys before I get there.
Essentially, the issue with this estate emerged after my father passed away in Russia almost 5 years ago. Before me, he was a joint owner with his sister (my now late aunt) - and after my dad died, after the expiry of a certain period from the event of his passing, I became a joint owner with my aunt, by way of inheritance, in 2017.
Later, that same year, my late aunt and her husband initiated discussions with me about them selling HER share (half) of the estate to me. Yes, initially I intended to BUY rather than sell. So I would have become the owner of the FULL estate or dacha. However, in the process of preparing for my purchase of my aunt's share, I changed my mind and intention, and we switched from me buying, to me SELLING my share - alongside my aunt selling HER share (half) simultaneously. Though not to me, obviously.
My aunt, however, passed away in 2020, before managing to sell. So, if I am correct, I am now a co owner with her husband (in my aunt's place) - so again, we each legally own 50 %. Each owns their half. We still haven't carried out the sale though.
Reply 4
Please post questions or comments if you want to.
Reply 5
Anything you would like to know about my countryside estate ?
Why did you make this thread? It's a bit of an odd topic for a student forum.
Reply 7
Why is it odd for this place though ?
I made it ... maybe to engage in my own memories of my estate there in Russia, or to explore them by way of addressing questions from users here. This can, sort of, mentally put me THERE, in my dacha - even though I am actually here in London, far away, many kilometers from that place.
You know, those countryside estates in my native country ... they are essentially people's summer houses, gardens. Out of town. That is the season that those dachas are mainly intended to, if you like. Whereas in the winter, for example, the Russians are at their usual flats in the houses they normally live ?
Currently it is summer. So you can probably imagine why - this July - my countryside estate, the place of my childhood too, is again of relevance to me. Maybe also considering that I am not actually there ... which could be a bit sad.
Why is it odd for this place though ?

Because very few people will be able to relate
Reply 9
Irrelevant question. You are banned from this thread !
Joking. It gives some details about myself - so people can know my ethnicity, and it gives some idea what I look like.
Original post by black tea
Because very few people will be able to relate

I see. You probably mean in terms of owning living or recreational property. Fair enough. But looking at it from another perspective ... what about the feeling of MISSING something, a particular place ? Like a sentiment. An emotional attachment. Maybe people will be able to relate ...
One of the rooms inside the house at the estate. The photo was taken by me in May 2018 - when I came back with a visit, after almost 11 years of not being there.
Attachment not found
Another room inside the house.
Attachment not found
The photo taken by me in May 2018.
The corridor leading to the entrance to the house. The photo taken by me in May 2018.

Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Inside another building at the estate - the kitchen. The photo taken by me in May 2018.
The house at the estate - from the outside. The photo taken by me In May 2018.

Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Some natural scenery at the dacha. The photo taken by me in May 2018.
The thread is here for questions - if people have them !

Quick Reply