The Student Room Group

University life

How do I know what to do in university?
Especially for the exams and the assignments/module
What resources will I be given(I am studying real estate bsc and I never know what to come in university. Please help me solve my predicament, thank you
You’ll be given a course handbook and each module will normally have a handbook of some sort (often online instead of printed). These will give you the syllabus and more information about the marking for your course. Universities also usually offer study skills support (usually through the library) and your academic staff will have office hours when you can visit them to ask questions if you don’t understand something. You will also usually have a tutor who you can go to for academic support.

You’ll be expected to be more self motivated and to ask for help if you need it. So don’t be afraid to seek out more help if you feel like you don’t understand everything.
Original post by Anonymous
What resources will I be given(I am studying real estate bsc and I never know what to come in university. Please help me solve my predicament, thank you

Hello,

For every module, you lecturer will give you a handbook which should outline all the key resources you will need for your assignments and exams.

You will be given direction of what to look for in further reading which will be required to gain higher marks.

Typically, there is not much for you to do until you begin your modules. Everything you need will be explained to you at the time and if you need any extra help along the way you can ask you personal tutor, module leader or your peers!

I hope this helps!

Antonia :h:
University of Liverpool - student rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hello,

For every module, you lecturer will give you a handbook which should outline all the key resources you will need for your assignments and exams.

You will be given direction of what to look for in further reading which will be required to gain higher marks.

Typically, there is not much for you to do until you begin your modules. Everything you need will be explained to you at the time and if you need any extra help along the way you can ask you personal tutor, module leader or your peers!

I hope this helps!

Antonia :h:
University of Liverpool - student rep

thank you Antonia!

Hi there,

I though I'd offer a perspective from experience from another university! :u:

I am currently going into 3rd Year for my architecture degree at University of Portsmouth. Usually for my course we have "year meetings" once a week and they us know info on what we are expected to do and how it'll work with our lectures, seminars etc. especially at the start of term. Most of the information that we are expected to know about and what we need to do is on Moodle (our online platform for resources etc.) as well. They give us marking criteria, reading lists and module briefs which outline our deadlines, important dates and what we need to do for our coursework.

As PQ and Antonia said, if you are unsure or need further help understanding a task you can reach out to your personal tutor, module leader, academic, course leader or year head. Most of the books they recommend to us are available from the library as ebook/physically if its not there than you can ask them to order it and all the software I need is available with the uni or for students and the uni lets us know how to access it.

I hope this helps!! Wishing you all the best as you go to uni!

Jubilee - Official Student Rep :smile:

Hi there,

Another current student perspective for you :smile:

So, your course tutor/module leader will make everything clear for you at the start of the term Your online learning platform (quite possibly Moodle or Canvas) will also state the upcoming modules for the semester. Most courses will have a list of core modules that everyone will study, and optional modules which allow you to learn more about your particular areas of interest. As mentioned above, it's possible you'll get some form of handbook or online document too. If in doubt though, just ask your tutor, that's what they are there for :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest