Can I quit a summer temp job?

Watch
username5757249
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m one week into a summer temporary job which I’m not really enjoying, but I’m meant to be there for 2 months. I’ve been offered a different job somewhere else which I prefer, so am I allowed to quit my summer job or do I have to just complete the 2 months? The contract doesn’t say anything about leaving so I don’t know what to do, like I don’t know if I have to stay there for the full period since I’ve signed their work contract. This is my first job so I’m not really sure how this works
Sophiebxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by elizabethxo)
I’m one week into a summer temporary job which I’m not really enjoying, but I’m meant to be there for 2 months. I’ve been offered a different job somewhere else which I prefer, so am I allowed to quit my summer job or do I have to just complete the 2 months? The contract doesn’t say anything about leaving so I don’t know what to do, like I don’t know if I have to stay there for the full period since I’ve signed their work contract. This is my first job so I’m not really sure how this works
Hi, if you’re not enjoying your job and it doesn’t specify that you *have* to stay in your contract, then I’m sure you can leave. Find out how much notice you need to provide them with and then write your notice and hand it in
username5757249
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sophiebxx)
Hi, if you’re not enjoying your job and it doesn’t specify that you *have* to stay in your contract, then I’m sure you can leave. Find out how much notice you need to provide them with and then write your notice and hand it in
The contract says:

“Notice from the company to the employee or the employee to the company outside the probationary period is:
Service: Notice:
Over 4 weeks - notice is 1 week
Over 2 years - notice is 2 weeks
Over 3 years - notice is 3 weeks

Soo what does this mean? Does this mean that I have to work there for at least 4 weeks and then I can give 1 weeks notice??
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, it means if you've worked there for over 4 weeks you have to give 1 weeks notice, and the implication is if you've worked there for less than 4 weeks you don't have to give any notice. Presumably the first 4 weeks is the probationary period indicated during which you are not required to give notice. Strictly speaking you don't have to give notice anyway but then you wouldn't really be able to use them as a reference later.

Just speak with your line manager and explain you have a job offer elsewhere and you will be leaving effective X date (immediately, or a few days later, or a week later or whatever you want to do).
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by elizabethxo)
The contract says:

“Notice from the company to the employee or the employee to the company outside the probationary period is:
Service: Notice:
Over 4 weeks - notice is 1 week
Over 2 years - notice is 2 weeks
Over 3 years - notice is 3 weeks

Soo what does this mean? Does this mean that I have to work there for at least 4 weeks and then I can give 1 weeks notice??
It means that if you have worked there for more than 4 weeks, you would have to give a weeks notice.
Obviously you have been there less than that. But I'd give them a week anyway, just out of courtesy.
username5757249
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
No, it means if you've worked there for over 4 weeks you have to give 1 weeks notice, and the implication is if you've worked there for less than 4 weeks you don't have to give any notice. Presumably the first 4 weeks is the probationary period indicated during which you are not required to give notice. Strictly speaking you don't have to give notice anyway but then you wouldn't really be able to use them as a reference later.

Just speak with your line manager and explain you have a job offer elsewhere and you will be leaving effective X date (immediately, or a few days later, or a week later or whatever you want to do).
Ohh right. Thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads