Looking to self-study Spanish - where to start?

Watch
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey,

I'm looking to teach myself Spanish (writing, reading and speaking) and wondered where the best place to start is?

When I start University, they provide courses that are uncredited; however, I want to start teaching myself over the next year so I can hopefully start at a higher level.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Hatty Matty
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, just start watching movies/series in Spanish and with Spanish subtitles, listening to Spanish songs but before it translate words ( you don't need to translate all, just the ones that are most common and catches your ear).
Paralove
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, buy a grammar book and accompanying work book as a good place to start cracking on some grammar and vocab. Have a look at a university reading list for beginners Spanish for an idea (I can't recall my own textbook used!).

You will also want to read as much as you can; start with children's and bilingual books once you have done some basics, where they have the Spanish on one page and the English on the other. The more of this you do, the better you will be. Also get a Spanish monolingual dictionary - it will stop you constantly translating back and forth which a good linguist shouldn't need to do (once you have a certain grasp of the language).

Online exercises - have a look at Multikultura.
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Paralove)
Honestly, buy a grammar book and accompanying work book as a good place to start cracking on some grammar and vocab. Have a look at a university reading list for beginners Spanish for an idea (I can't recall my own textbook used!).

You will also want to read as much as you can; start with children's and bilingual books once you have done some basics, where they have the Spanish on one page and the English on the other. The more of this you do, the better you will be. Also get a Spanish monolingual dictionary - it will stop you constantly translating back and forth which a good linguist shouldn't need to do (once you have a certain grasp of the language).

Online exercises - have a look at Multikultura.
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely take a look at the recommended reading list.

The recommendation for the children and bilingual books is actually a great idea!

It's just finding a place to start, ha.
DeliaMoreno
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NovaeSci)
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely take a look at the recommended reading list.

The recommendation for the children and bilingual books is actually a great idea!

It's just finding a place to start, ha.

Hola,
mind maps, reading daily news in Spanish and in English, writing your own conjugation book... My name is Delia, from Spanish no panic. My IG account and Youtube clips have many more ideas. Buena suerte.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
15.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (5)
11.36%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (4)
9.09%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (18)
40.91%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
18.18%

Watched Threads