how strong are the average girl who lifts weights regularly?

Watch
Davidgettingfit
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. I started lifting weights approx 1 year ago. I'm following the 5x5 model (5 reps, 5 sets). I was very weak to start with, and I'm probably still fairly weak compared to average men. My girlfriend teases me though, and says I'm still weaker than most of the girls lifting weights in the gym. She doesn't lift weights herself, but she says most of her female friends outlift me. I wonder if that is really true? I wonder how heavy do you girls lift ? My current lifts are : 75kg squat (5x5), 100kg deadlift (5x5), 50kg benchpress (5x5), military press 35kg 5x5.
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you skinny? If so, eat more. The reason I say this is that you should be adding 2.5kg to each lift, every workout. You will find pressing movements will fail sooner than Deadlifts and Squats, so you may have to start adding 1-2kg every workout.

You seem to be progressing quite slow if you started a year ago. Your Bench Press should be at least your body weight by now and your Squat and Deadlift should be at least 1.5x your body weight. Try switching to 3x5 or 4x6. I personally prefer 4x6.

Also, between sets, if your current set you found easy and hit your reps with some to spare, rest 90 seconds. If you hit your rep target but feel the last rep was a bit of an effort, rest 3 minutes. If you fail to hit your rep range, or barely hit your least rep, then rest up to 5 minutes. Strength training runs on ATP, as opposed to Glycogen which is used on higher rep sets. It takes longer for ATP stores to recover from heavy sets.

Check out the below site. You can find what the average lift is for males or females, at certain body weights, for certain movements. It is split up into Beginner, Novice, Intermediate, Advanced and Elite.

https://strengthlevel.com/
Last edited by NovaeSci; 1 month ago
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Follow a less novice program but still beginner level like the following:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...nEg/edit#gid=0
or
Attached files
Kyri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You got some good advice already with regards to rest times. I can say that resting longer between sets (3 - 5 minutes) got me through my first plateau when I did linear progression.

As for your question about how much most girls lift, that will vary depending on what gym you go to. Some gyms have some very strong female powerlifters who are far above your numbers. But the average girl at my gym generally lifts much less than what you do. I'd say usually max 60kg squat, max 80kg deadlift and max 40kg bench, but usually lower than those numbers. I know it's almost impossible not to compare yourself to others but I don't think this is the right mindset. You should be comparing yourself to yourself. Are you a better version of you compared to last week, or last month? Are your numbers going up? If yes, then use that as motivation to keep getting better. There is only a problem if the answer is no, in which case you need to examine what you could change to reinstate progress.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Davidgettingfit)
Hi. I started lifting weights approx 1 year ago. I'm following the 5x5 model (5 reps, 5 sets). I was very weak to start with, and I'm probably still fairly weak compared to average men. My girlfriend teases me though, and says I'm still weaker than most of the girls lifting weights in the gym. She doesn't lift weights herself, but she says most of her female friends outlift me. I wonder if that is really true? I wonder how heavy do you girls lift ? My current lifts are : 75kg squat (5x5), 100kg deadlift (5x5), 50kg benchpress (5x5), military press 35kg 5x5.
What is your current bodyweight, and what was it before you started lifting weights? Have you been doing the same routine since you started?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed