USB, HDMI, SD

What devices do you have currently?
Samsung s10 phone, nexus 10 tablet

Laptops researched:
Laptop 1 - https://ao.com/product/81yk0050uk-le...78158-251.aspx

Laptop 2 - https://ao.com/product/81yq0015uk-le...77769-251.aspx

Laptop 3 - https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/lapt...laptop/cn30532

Additional Comments:
Have had bad experiences with hp laptops falling apart. My dell's have all generally been good. I've never had a Lenovo so any feedback on their quality appreciated.

Have always been a windows user but open to learning linux if it would be better.

Would rather not get second hand, I don't like the idea of having to replace the battery or ending up with a laptop with an off brand battery.
hmmSeb
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
All laptops at your price point will be able to perform greatly for all sorts of productivity. Microsoft Office will run perfectly fine. As such, I think you should shift your focus to the extras you might like with laptops at this price. In your case, you've said you're interested in light gaming.

Having had a look at the laptops you've already researched, I'd personally opt for the Dell. You'd be getting a good CPU with integrated graphics capable of most light gaming, if you're willing to turn most of the graphics settings down, that is.

The Dell Inspiron is very comparable to your second listed laptop, the Lenovo IdeaPad 5, but is slightly cheaper. It also comes with a full Windows 10 installation out of the box, as opposed to the inferior Windows 10S release. (You can easily go from 10S to 10, however).

Another thing to keep in mind is that, while you've listed 128 GB as a minimum storage requirement, you're definitely going to want more than that. At least 256 GB, in my opinion. A proportion of your storage is lost to the operation system immediately, which can limit you to about 100 GB out of the box (if you have 128 GB), and when you have a few programs and games installed, files and data aside, you can very quickly run out of storage. Make sure it's an SSD, too.

I know you said you're not sure about the minimum RAM you're looking for, too. I would suggest 8 GB being a good amount. Optimal for multitasking with productivity software like Microsoft Office and good for any sort of gaming.

I am currently using a Lenovo laptop. I would argue they're better than HP's offerings, but I believe Dell's products have the edge in this price range.

And as a final note - take a look at Dell Outlet. They have refurbished laptops being offered by Dell themselves. You can get some great deals. I'm using a Dell PC bought off of Dell Outlet and it's still running well after 5ish years. I understand that you're not interested in second-hand products, but I would still encourage that you take a look at this. The quality is far higher than what you might see being sold as second-hand on eBay.
Kogomogo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by hmmSeb)
All laptops at your price point will be able to perform greatly for all sorts of productivity. Microsoft Office will run perfectly fine. As such, I think you should shift your focus to the extras you might like with laptops at this price. In your case, you've said you're interested in light gaming.

Having had a look at the laptops you've already researched, I'd personally opt for the Dell. You'd be getting a good CPU with integrated graphics capable of most light gaming, if you're willing to turn most of the graphics settings down, that is.

The Dell Inspiron is very comparable to your second listed laptop, the Lenovo IdeaPad 5, but is slightly cheaper. It also comes with a full Windows 10 installation out of the box, as opposed to the inferior Windows 10S release. (You can easily go from 10S to 10, however).

Another thing to keep in mind is that, while you've listed 128 GB as a minimum storage requirement, you're definitely going to want more than that. At least 256 GB, in my opinion. A proportion of your storage is lost to the operation system immediately, which can limit you to about 100 GB out of the box (if you have 128 GB), and when you have a few programs and games installed, files and data aside, you can very quickly run out of storage. Make sure it's an SSD, too.

I know you said you're not sure about the minimum RAM you're looking for, too. I would suggest 8 GB being a good amount. Optimal for multitasking with productivity software like Microsoft Office and good for any sort of gaming.

I am currently using a Lenovo laptop. I would argue they're better than HP's offerings, but I believe Dell's products have the edge in this price range.

And as a final note - take a look at Dell Outlet. They have refurbished laptops being offered by Dell themselves. You can get some great deals. I'm using a Dell PC bought off of Dell Outlet and it's still running well after 5ish years. I understand that you're not interested in second-hand products, but I would still encourage that you take a look at this. The quality is far higher than what you might see being sold as second-hand on eBay.
Thank you so much for all this info! I'll probably end up getting the dell with your suggested specs and will definitely keep an eye on the outlet for a good deal, i don't mind if they've been refurbed with genuine parts so thanks for the tip
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
On the refurb thing. Laptops are laptops. They're not cars. Cars can be fitted with all sorts of non genuine parts. It's rare for used laptops to be fitted with non genuine parts. It's extremely rare for used laptops to be fitted with non genuine parts that are worse than the original parts.

And when laptops are described as "refurbed" all that means is that they scrubbed off the previous software build - for obvious reasons. You wouldn't for example want an ex-bank executive laptop to be sold with the bank's corporate build on it. With a tool like Blannco this takes 1 minute of the technician's time and 20 minutes of the laptop time.

Refurbed laptops should also have had the built in diagnostics run - to check for obvious hardware faults. This takes 1 minute technician's time and 15 minutes laptop time.

Plus refurbed laptops have any stickers, eg asset stickers removed. Plus they are given a wipe over with furniture polish and a a cloth.
They might also have the dust vacumed out from the CPU cooling area.
The wipe over and vacuum cleaning will take 3 to 8 minutes of their time.

So, refurbing a laptop takes 5 to 10 minutes labour.

It's nothing. And it's all something that you could do in about 30 minutes if you've never done it before.

All of which adds up to a refurbed laptop being worth a premium of £10 at most over a non refurbed laptop (that's sold with a description of "everything working").

Please try to avoid marketing cons of paying £100 extra for a laptop that's described as refurbed over one that isn't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
12.57%
I need help researching courses (12)
7.19%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
4.79%
I need help with my personal statement (71)
42.51%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (39)
23.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.8%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
7.78%

Watched Threads