Jammydodger39
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m an nqt and My department said that they were unable to sort out a few things in my room before my training days which I totally understand as they’ve been really busy.

Another member of staff offered to do it all for me but I felt really bad. Anyway I got an email saying that he would be going in during the holidays so I said I’m also happy to come in during the hols to organise my room and do planning. I haven’t heard back from him though

When shall I drop him another email to ask when I should go in? Shall I leave it a week or so as schools have only just broken up? (He’s also my mentor)
sunshinehss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd just email him, sooner rather than later that way it's on his terms when he chooses to reply (he might leave it a week). In the email just briefly acknowledge that you're sorry for disturbing him during the holidays but you'd like to know when you can come in.

Good luck and congrats on being an nqt!! 🥳🥂💛
Jammydodger39
Rep:
?
(Original post by sunshinehss)
I'd just email him, sooner rather than later that way it's on his terms when he chooses to reply (he might leave it a week). In the email just briefly acknowledge that you're sorry for disturbing him during the holidays but you'd like to know when you can come in.

Good luck and congrats on being an nqt!! 🥳🥂💛
Ah brilliant. Thank you! I’ll pop an email over on Monday then!! ☺️☺️
hotpud
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know you are super keen and nervous in equal measure, but I wouldn't bother. Chances are, that person won't read their emails over the holidays. I don't. However, you should still be able to go into school. It will be open. That will allow you to sort out your room. As for planning. Unless you know what it is you have to do specifically, I would wait. Chances are your department will want you to teach specific lessons at certain points and all you have to do is adapt them to your classes. Given you don't know your classes yet, that is hard to do.

Enjoy your holiday!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammydodger39)
I’m an nqt and My department said that they were unable to sort out a few things in my room before my training days which I totally understand as they’ve been really busy.

Another member of staff offered to do it all for me but I felt really bad. Anyway I got an email saying that he would be going in during the holidays so I said I’m also happy to come in during the hols to organise my room and do planning. I haven’t heard back from him though

When shall I drop him another email to ask when I should go in? Shall I leave it a week or so as schools have only just broken up? (He’s also my mentor)
Whenever you like, but make this the last email. He'll get back to you at his convenience, as it is the holidays. If he doesn't respond, you can still go in to organise your room- you may need to check with a member of SLT how to get into the building, though!
Jammydodger39
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Whenever you like, but make this the last email. He'll get back to you at his convenience, as it is the holidays. If he doesn't respond, you can still go in to organise your room- you may need to check with a member of SLT how to get into the building, though!
I haven’t sent any other emails? He emailed me before the holiday saying he was going in to organise my room. Hardly fair is it. I don’t expect him to answer straight away but he reached out first therefore it’s only polite to offer to help.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammydodger39)
I haven’t sent any other emails? He emailed me before the holiday saying he was going in to organise my room. Hardly fair is it. I don’t expect him to answer straight away but he reached out first therefore it’s only polite to offer to help.
"I haven’t heard back from him though"- Sorry, I thought this meant you had emailed him already. If you've only mentioned this in passing in person, I would definitely email to try to find out a date to go in.

But him saying he is going to organise your room probably means he is going to tidy and clear out any junk left by the last teacher- he'll see it as doing you a favour! He'll also know what needs to be kept and what can be chucked and stuff. I'm not sure what you see as unfair?

I mean this really kindly, but I do think you need to chill out a little bit- I understand this is a really stressful time, and how the PGCE can leave you doubting yourself, but honestly if you keep overthinking things as you are, you're going to drive yourself mad. You clearly want to email him, so do so. Don't be offended if you don't get a response- it is the holidays! Don't email him 20 times, because then you'll drive him mad.
Jammydodger39
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
"I haven’t heard back from him though"- Sorry, I thought this meant you had emailed him already. If you've only mentioned this in passing in person, I would definitely email to try to find out a date to go in.

But him saying he is going to organise your room probably means he is going to tidy and clear out any junk left by the last teacher- he'll see it as doing you a favour! He'll also know what needs to be kept and what can be chucked and stuff. I'm not sure what you see as unfair?

I mean this really kindly, but I do think you need to chill out a little bit- I understand this is a really stressful time, and how the PGCE can leave you doubting yourself, but honestly if you keep overthinking things as you are, you're going to drive yourself mad. You clearly want to email him, so do so. Don't be offended if you don't get a response- it is the holidays! Don't email him 20 times, because then you'll drive him mad.
Yeah don’t patronise me. I’m not that stupid to email someone more than once. This isn’t the first time Ive sent an email.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.56%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
19.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.33%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (12)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads