Rosyrose123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Any advice for students going into year 9 ?

Any book/textbook suggestions that could help with GCSE and sets ?
ll ACR ll
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
well, for maths GCSE. Use maths genie and mathsmadeasy. Those are two good sites. Also, do maths at your own pace, you can go ahead of the game anytime.

Physics and maths tutor for sciences and English. When you cover something new in class, at the same day when you go back home. Do practice questions based on that thing in order to master that topic.
Last edited by ll ACR ll; 2 months ago
Rosyrose123
Rep:
?
(Original post by ll ACR ll)
well, for maths GCSE. Use maths genie and mathsmadeasy. Those are two good sites. Also, do maths at your own pace, you can go ahead of the game anytime.

Physics and maths tutor for sciences and English. When you cover something new in class, at the same day when you go back home. Do practice questions based on that thing in order to master that topic.
Thank you so much !
I will check out the websites you suggested .
ll ACR ll
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rosyrose123)
Thank you so much !
I will check out the websites you suggested .
Also, are you in the top sets for all of your subjects?
Rosyrose123
Rep:
?
Also, are you in the top sets for all of your subjects?
Let me explain the whole sets story .
I am going to Year 9 ( currently in the summer holiday )

I came to the UK a month or 2 since the start of year 8.

Due to COVID my school canceled sets for each subject. They got us into bubbles . Meaning one set for all subjects . So we sat in our form/class the whole day .
Since I was not in my school from Year 7 , I was put randomly into set 4 . I found it really easy and eventually before the end of year 8 I got moved to set 3 . Which I found easy .

Next year we are going back to normal sets , hopefully things work out for everyone !

Wbu ?
ll ACR ll
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Let me explain the whole sets story .
I am going to Year 9 ( currently in the summer holiday )

I came to the UK a month or 2 since the start of year 8.

Due to COVID my school canceled sets for each subject. They got us into bubbles . Meaning one set for all subjects . So we sat in our form/class the whole day .
Since I was not in my school from Year 7 , I was put randomly into set 4 . I found it really easy and eventually before the end of year 8 I got moved to set 3 . Which I found easy .

Next year we are going back to normal sets , hopefully things work out for everyone !

Wbu ?
At the time I was doing my GCSEs, there were only sets for science and maths. Those who were in the lower sets had to sit foundation sciences or foundation maths (which limits you from getting above a 6). I was in top set for both maths and sciences.

If I were you, you should try to get to the top set before you get to year 10. The reason why you should is because (by my experience) the lower groups tend to honey coat things in terms of teaching. For example, Set 1 and 3 are doing the same topics in maths. Set 1 learn the content very fast, however they get to do the hardest problems in order to prepare them for the worst in the future. While set 3 just do the basics and the basics only where if one student were to move from Set 3 to Set 1, they would be having a very shaky beginning.

Now, I don't advise studying too much during the summer holidays (in fact I would start studying a week or two before you start school) since you are in year 8 and you should probably enjoy life as much you want for now
Rosyrose123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
At the time I was doing my GCSEs, there were only sets for science and maths. Those who were in the lower sets had to sit foundation sciences or foundation maths (which limits you from getting above a 6). I was in top set for both maths and sciences.

If I were you, you should try to get to the top set before you get to year 10. The reason why you should is because (by my experience) the lower groups tend to honey coat things in terms of teaching. For example, Set 1 and 3 are doing the same topics in maths. Set 1 learn the content very fast, however they get to do the hardest problems in order to prepare them for the worst in the future. While set 3 just do the basics and the basics only where if one student were to move from Set 3 to Set 1, they would be having a very shaky beginning.

Now, I don't advise studying too much during the summer holidays (in fact I would start studying a week or two before you start school) since you are in year 8 and you should probably enjoy life as much you want for now
Thank you so much for this advice. Actually I am in year 9 just currently in the summer holiday , so after the summer holiday I will start Year 9 .
Wow, I congratulate you on your accomplishment of being in the top sets for maths and science. By the way what sets are top sets ?
ll ACR ll
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for this advice. Actually I am in year 9 just currently in the summer holiday , so after the summer holiday I will start Year 9 .
Wow, I congratulate you on your accomplishment of being in the top sets for maths and science. By the way what sets are top sets ?
Top sets are usually 1 and 2 (we called the advance and advance + sets) it honestly depends. You might even be in top set without knowing. But when it comes to maths, you might want to be more self reliant because I will be honest. In order for me to learn how to answer complex maths problems (especially the 6 mark ratio problems) I had to go through the mark scheme of past paper over and over again in order to find a method in conquering those sort of questions.

To some extent you may also want to be self reliant on sciences. However, I would honestly get a tutor for any of the three sciences if you want to have an easy experience when covering a hard topic (When I was in year 11, I wanted to aim for grade 9 in physics (I had a 7 at those tines. So asked for a tutor to arranged and this allowed me to reach the grade I wanted.). But when it comes to exam questions, use any resource you can find to do practice questions on any topic you have learnt within the 3 sciences. That being physicsandmathstutor, mathsmadeeasy, isacc physics etc. However, assuming you are doing aqa, you don't need to do that much for now as you only have to do (when you go back to school) at least 3-5 hours of revision per week.
Last edited by ll ACR ll; 1 month ago
Rosyrose123
Rep:
?
Top sets are usually 1 and 2 (we called the advance and advance + sets) it honestly depends. You might even be in top set without knowing. But when it comes to maths, you might want to be more self reliant because I will be honest. In order for me to learn how to answer complex maths problems (especially the 6 mark ratio problems) I had to go through the mark scheme of past paper over and over again in order to find a method in conquering those sort of questions.

To some extent you may also want to be self reliant on sciences. However, I would honestly get a tutor for any of the three sciences if you want to have an easy experience when covering a hard topic (When I was in year 11, I wanted to aim for grade 9 in physics (I had a 7 at those tines. So asked for a tutor to arranged and this allowed me to reach the grade I wanted.). But when it comes to exam questions, use any resource you can find to do practice questions on any topic you have learnt within the 3 sciences. That being physicsandmathstutor, mathsmadeeasy, isacc physics etc. However, assuming you are doing aqa, you don't need to do that much for now as you only have to do (when you go back to school) at least 3-5 hours of revision per week.
Honestly I can't thank you enough for the help and advice you gave me

Thank you
pen_to_paper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I suggest you:
- make notes as you go. A lot of schools start GCSE learning in science and maths and maybe other subjects! This might be quite a obvious point but it’s really helpful!

- use savemyexams - they have revision notes for science and maths for most boards along with exam questions per topic and past papers. You can get the revision notes for free and most topic questions but not most answers on the free version but it’s £5 per month I think.

-dr frost maths- this is AMAZING! It really helps, and it’s totally free

-arithmathic is a great maths YouTube channel
Cognito is another good YouTube one!!

- spark notes and LitCharts are really helpful for English to understand your text

-once you find out your boards per subject, use an app called adapt. You can enter all your boards and it has the list of all the topics covered in your GCSEs and it makes you a revision timetable too! You can also rate how much you know each topic eg enzymes would be a smiley face but something like transpiration would be a sad Face that makes sense haha

-bbc Bitesize is super helpful

- Photomath really help to make sure you got something right in maths- and it shows a step by step solution

-sometimes I get distracted so I use an app called flipd which helps me block all my apps on my phone so I can study without distractions. It has a multitask mode in case you need to use your phone for something important though!

-quizlet was really really helpful for languages and last minute revision too

-Anki was also helpful but I find the interface of it slightly tricky so I didn’t use it much but it uses active recall and spaced repetition which makes you remember info better

-find out your learning style! I liked vark questionnaire most

-I don’t use this much but try Khan academy!

These personally helped me a lot- it might not work for you but I hope it helped

Remember, you’re in year 9, and to thoroughly enjoy it too! Have fun
Rosyrose123
Rep:
?
(Original post by pen_to_paper)
I suggest you:
- make notes as you go. A lot of schools start GCSE learning in science and maths and maybe other subjects! This might be quite a obvious point but it’s really helpful!

- use savemyexams - they have revision notes for science and maths for most boards along with exam questions per topic and past papers. You can get the revision notes for free and most topic questions but not most answers on the free version but it’s £5 per month I think.

-dr frost maths- this is AMAZING! It really helps, and it’s totally free

-arithmathic is a great maths YouTube channel
Cognito is another good YouTube one!!

- spark notes and LitCharts are really helpful for English to understand your text

-once you find out your boards per subject, use an app called adapt. You can enter all your boards and it has the list of all the topics covered in your GCSEs and it makes you a revision timetable too! You can also rate how much you know each topic eg enzymes would be a smiley face but something like transpiration would be a sad Face that makes sense haha

-bbc Bitesize is super helpful

- Photomath really help to make sure you got something right in maths- and it shows a step by step solution

-sometimes I get distracted so I use an app called flipd which helps me block all my apps on my phone so I can study without distractions. It has a multitask mode in case you need to use your phone for something important though!

-quizlet was really really helpful for languages and last minute revision too

-Anki was also helpful but I find the interface of it slightly tricky so I didn’t use it much but it uses active recall and spaced repetition which makes you remember info better

-find out your learning style! I liked vark questionnaire most

-I don’t use this much but try Khan academy!

These personally helped me a lot- it might not work for you but I hope it helped

Remember, you’re in year 9, and to thoroughly enjoy it too! Have fun

I already use some of the websites you have suggested and one website my school uses to set us maths homework is drfrostmaths , and I 100% agree it is useful . All the websites you have suggested are useful and beneficial just like you said

Words fail to describe how thankful I am to you for the advice and resources you provided
Last edited by Rosyrose123; 1 month ago
pen_to_paper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I already use some of the websites you have suggested and one website my school uses to set us maths homework is drfrostmaths , and I 100% agree it is useful . All the websites you have suggested are useful and beneficial just like you said

Words fail to describe how thankful I am to you for the advice and resources you provided
No problem, hope they help
Itzyy_32
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any advice for students going into year 9 ?

Any book/textbook suggestions that could help with GCSE and sets ?
Hi,

Hope you're doing well. I think you should really check out cognito resources! ( both it's youtube channel and website), It's great for past papers practices. I used it for my exams, and it helped loads! Another website for science is physicsandmathstutor, they do quite a few subjects but great overall. Honestly, I recommend freesciencelessons only sometimes though, they aren't as good and detailed as cognito is. but their practical explanations are very good.

When you're setted for your GCSE they are not always the sets you'll be in. They can change in terms of your improvements. But obviously I can't say this for every school because I'm not sure what other schools are like with their GCSEs. But do try your best this year, because later exams you'll do in year 9 can affect year 10 and year 11. Lower sets even if you're doing higher can affect your grades. For my science exams in year 9, I did write summary notes but I focused more on flashcards. Flashcards tend to help me the most when revising and they really do the job. Anyway, I wish you good luck for year 9 and do have fun.
Last edited by Itzyy_32; 1 month ago
Rosyrose123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Itzyy_32)
Hi,

Hope you're doing well. I think you should really check out cognito resources! ( both it's youtube channel and website), It's great for past papers practices. I used it for my exams, and it helped loads! Another website for science is physicsandmathstutor, they do quite a few subjects but great overall. Honestly, I recommend freesciencelessons only sometimes though, they aren't as good and detailed as cognito is. but their practical explanations are very good.

When you're setted for your GCSE they are not always the sets you'll be in. They can change in terms of your improvements. But obviously I can't say this for every school because I'm not sure what other schools are like with their GCSEs. But do try your best this year, because later exams you'll do in year 9 can affect year 10 and year 11. Lower sets even if you're doing higher can affect your grades. For my science exams in year 9, I did write summary notes but I focused more on flashcards. Flashcards tend to help me the most when revising and they really do the job. Anyway, I wish you good luck for year 9 and do have fun.
Hello, I am doing great, How are you doing ?

I honestly can't thank you enough for all this amazing advice you have provided
Thank you so much, I wish you the best of luck and I definitely will check all the websites and channels you have suggested.

I have a question regarding English GCSE, is it true that you may lose marks for not writing in cursive?
Itzyy_32
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm doing well thanks.

You won't get marked down, nor will you gain any marks for cursive handwriting. The exam isn't about how good your handwriting is, it's about your overall understanding of the paper. Nevertheless, your handwriting should be neat and eligible for the examiner at first glance. Obviously if you're handwriting is that bad to the point where the examiner is unable to read it, you won't get the marks you deserve. I've had terrible cursive handwriting and it was basically unreadable at that point. Unfortunately,I got marked down, because my teacher couldn't read it.Therefore, don't make that mistake.
Last edited by Itzyy_32; 1 month ago
Rosyrose123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Itzyy_32)
I'm doing well thanks.

You won't get marked down, nor will you gain any marks for cursive handwriting. The exam isn't about how good your handwriting is, it's about your overall understanding of the paper. Nevertheless, your handwriting should be neat and eligible for the examiner at first glance. Obviously if you're handwriting is that bad to the point where the examiner is unable to read it, you won't get the marks you deserve. I've had terrible cursive handwriting and it was basically unreadable at that point. Unfortunately,I got marked down, because my teacher couldn't read it.Therefore, don't make that mistake.
Thank you so much for this beneficial explanation, really saved me from wasting my time learning cursive
Oh no, well you have tried your best!
When something upsetting happens always remeber that you have tried your best .

Good luck and stay safe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads