The Student Room Group

from conditional offer to unsuccessful

Hi guys, this is urgent so if someone can help me within my situation, I would really appreciate it. I applied to Durham foundation year Law and I successfully got a conditional offer where they stated it is "subject to you obtaining.." my predicted grades. However, this week I got an email from UCAS and I tracked my UCAS and it said they have placed me as "unsuccessful." I do not get why they have done this as it is not results day yet so how are they stating I'm "unsuccessful" if they have not got my A level results yet. They also have not emailed me about my offer changing. Also, they have been sending me emails about my colleges and my course information, so I do not get why they have lead me on, to reject me later, after giving me a conditional offer. I am going to contact them by call on Monday to see what they say as it is currently the weekend. I am really heart broken due to this.
(edited 2 years ago)
Don't worry too much just yet. It may have been a glitch in the system or done by accident. Call them and explain the situation to them. I don't think unis are allowed to just reject you after giving you an offer if they don't have your grades yet. I hope everything turns out ok :smile:
I can't see why if you don't have your grades out yet, I think only they will be able to give you a proper answer. Try not to lose hope yet as some system may have just gone wrong somewhere. Contact the uni and it might also be worth ringing ucas too, in case the problem is their end.
Original post by kaorimiyazono
Don't worry too much just yet. It may have been a glitch in the system or done by accident. Call them and explain the situation to them. I don't think unis are allowed to just reject you after giving you an offer if they don't have your grades yet. I hope everything turns out ok :smile:

Thank You so much! I really do hope it is a glitch, I will update you.
Original post by Kogomogo
I can't see why if you don't have your grades out yet, I think only they will be able to give you a proper answer. Try not to lose hope yet as some system may have just gone wrong somewhere. Contact the uni and it might also be worth ringing ucas too, in case the problem is their end.

Yes exactly! That's what I was thinking. I really do hope it was just a mistake. Thank you so much!
Original post by Sanabanana1234
Hi guys, this is urgent so if someone can help me within my situation, I would really appreciate it. I applied to Durham foundation year Law and I successfully got a conditional offer where they stated it is "subject to you obtaining.." my predicted grades. However, this week I got an email from UCAS and I tracked my UCAS and it said they have placed me as "unsuccessful." I do not get why they have done this as it is not results day yet so how are they stating I'm "unsuccessful" if they have not got my A level results yet. They also have not emailed me about my offer changing. Also, they have been sending me emails about my colleges and my course information, so I do not get why they have lead me on, to reject me later, after giving me a conditional offer. I am going to contact them by call on Monday to see what they say as it is currently the weekend. I am really heart broken due to this.

Did you arrange to send them predicted grades as they requested?

The grades you’ll be receiving on A-Level results day aren’t predictions, they are your final awarded grades.

From your wording, I suspect they were waiting for predictions for your pending subjects. As above, you need to contact them on Monday by phone to see if this was an error or if you can still provide the info they need.
Yes exactly! That's what I was thinking. I really do hope it was just a mistake. Thank you so much!

Good luck, hope you can get things sorted out!
Original post by Admit-One
Did you arrange to send them predicted grades as they requested?

The grades you’ll be receiving on A-Level results day aren’t predictions, they are your final awarded grades.

From your wording, I suspect they were waiting for predictions for your pending subjects. As above, you need to contact them on Monday by phone to see if this was an error or if you can still provide the info they need

Thank you for replying. Within my offer letter it stated that I had until 31st July to provide a suitable LNAT score. I have already took my LNAT, however I took the exam late due to a personal situation. I emailed them about this and informed them that I am unable to send any proof of my LNAT as I will receive my results by August. They emailed me back saying they already have my LNAT results (as it gets sent to them automatically) and will "update my offer as soon as possible." This was in April. I then emailed them about sending proof regarding grades etc. I emailed them saying "by evidence of grades. are you referring to A level results day or do I have to send proof of my grades before July? And if this is the case, how should I send proof?" they emailed me back saying "If you are doing A levels, you do not need to send us them we will receive them automatically from UCAS on results day." Despite this, I am going to be contacting them about it as this situation is very stressful and confusing.
Thank you for replying. Within my offer letter it stated that I had until 31st July to provide a suitable LNAT score. I have already took my LNAT, however I took the exam late due to a personal situation. I emailed them about this and informed them that I am unable to send any proof of my LNAT as I will receive my results by August. They emailed me back saying they already have my LNAT results (as it gets sent to them automatically) and will "update my offer as soon as possible." This was in April. I then emailed them about sending proof regarding grades etc. I emailed them saying "by evidence of grades. are you referring to A level results day or do I have to send proof of my grades before July? And if this is the case, how should I send proof?" they emailed me back saying "If you are doing A levels, you do not need to send us them we will receive them automatically from UCAS on results day." Despite this, I am going to be contacting them about it as this situation is very stressful and confusing.

In that case I agree that it is confusing that your status has been updated as it sounds like you’ve been in frequent communication with them and provided everything they asked for so far.

As above, call them first thing Monday morning. It might be useful to have a summary of the dates they emailed and what was asked for with you when you speak to them.

It sounds to me that they have not updated your LNAT details (have you sent them your LNAT id number?) and have had a 'clear out' pre. Results Day of all those applications that are still outstanding. Phone the Uni first thing on Monday.
Original post by McGinger
It sounds to me that they have not updated your LNAT details (have you sent them your LNAT id number?) and have had a 'clear out' pre. Results Day of all those applications that are still outstanding. Phone the Uni first thing on Monday.

yes, you're right they have not updated the LNAT details as they claimed that they would as they stated they have my LNAT results and that was in April when they emailed me this. And no I have not, they didn't ask for it therefore I did not provide the ID number to them. But yes I will phone them first thing Monday morning, Thank you.
Original post by Admit-One
In that case I agree that it is confusing that your status has been updated as it sounds like you’ve been in frequent communication with them and provided everything they asked for so far.

As above, call them first thing Monday morning. It might be useful to have a summary of the dates they emailed and what was asked for with you when you speak to them.

Yes it is bizarre. Thank you for your help, and yes I will do!

The problem could be to do with your LNAT rather than your A levels - it sounds like you did the LNAT late (which could be an issue unless they agreed that was ok) and you haven't mentioned what score you got but unis can decline applicants based on their LNAT score if it is below what they are looking for (which varies every year).

As everyone else says, phone tomorrow to find out the answer and let us know. I hope it was an error but if not, there will still be other options. Not all unis are so fussy about the LNAT or even expect it to have been taken at all.
And btw, LNAT is not necessarily required from LNAT Unis for Clearing and Adjustment places.
Original post by harrysbar
The problem could be to do with your LNAT rather than your A levels - it sounds like you did the LNAT late (which could be an issue unless they agreed that was ok) and you haven't mentioned what score you got but unis can decline applicants based on their LNAT score if it is below what they are looking for (which varies every year).

As everyone else says, phone tomorrow to find out the answer and let us know. I hope it was an error but if not, there will still be other options. Not all unis are so fussy about the LNAT or even expect it to have been taken at all.

Thank you for replying and they agreed that it was okay because of the whole lockdown situation etc. I have not received my LNAT score yet as I will get them in August, but the UNI receives the score first. I emailed them on April about it, and they have said they have already received my LNAT score and will "update my offer" but that was in April and they still did not update my offer. I just do not get why they have declined me NOW rather than back in April, as they already stated they have received my LNAT. I also had an interview which I'm guessing I was successful for as they sent me exams to do online afterwards, which I successfully completed and then once I completed that, I got a conditional offer. I hope so too but if not then I will just look at other options, as you've stated. Thank you for your help!
Original post by McGinger
And btw, LNAT is not necessarily required from LNAT Unis for Clearing and Adjustment places.

I'll take that into consideration, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest