Nataliee_cotts
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Right so, I’m wondering if anyone else feels like this when it comes to unis and stuff.
So basically last year I applied for Oxford but got rejected but I didn’t think it was fair because I had an undiagnosed illness which meant I couldn’t have extra time in interviews and the entrance exams.
Now I do have a diagnosis, but I’m so burnt out. Like I want to get in but I don’t know how to overcome this burnt out stuff. Whenever I go to revise I have a week of good progress and then just suddenly stop. Then I feel guilty that I’m not revising or working towards where I want to be. Any advice on how to overcome it?
Is anyone else in a similar position?
SlaveofAll
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A temporary break from all that might do the job for you. You deserve to lose worries.
Nataliee_cotts
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlaveofAll)
A temporary break from all that might do the job for you. You deserve to lose worries.
Thank you, I’ve had a bit of a long break already though. I’m not sure how to get back on track :/
SlaveofAll
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nataliee_cotts)
Thank you, I’ve had a bit of a long break already though. I’m not sure how to get back on track :/
Do small but manageable steps.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there

I'm sorry to hear about your journey with burnout and during your a levels

Here are some more tips for overcoming burnout:

1. Make Time for Enjoyable Activities
2. Get Plenty of Physical Exercise
3. Get Outside
4. Make Time for Social Activities
5. Develop Good Relationships with Professors
6. Set Reasonable Goals
7. Avoid Procrastination - push yourself even when you don't feel like it!
8. Get Better at Time Management
9. Take a Step Back to revaluate your priorities and what you want
10. Work-Life Balance

Its really important to look after yourself and stay healthy, especially if you've just been diagnosed with an illness - your brain and body needs fuel to go off so that you can study. I definitely experienced a lot of burnout and lack of motivation over lockdown and going outside and making time to exercise made a huge difference for me.

I can imagine your disappointment of not getting into Oxford has also disheartened you which is really understandable. I think that really taking time to think about what you now want or what other universities you could go to, whether you still want to study the same thing might help give you something to get excited about and motivate you to study to get to your new end goal!

I wish you all the best - keep reaching out to others as well because you're definitely not alone in this!

Jubilee - UoP Rep
Nataliee_cotts
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey there

I'm sorry to hear about your journey with burnout and during your a levels

Here are some more tips for overcoming burnout:

1. Make Time for Enjoyable Activities
2. Get Plenty of Physical Exercise
3. Get Outside
4. Make Time for Social Activities
5. Develop Good Relationships with Professors
6. Set Reasonable Goals
7. Avoid Procrastination - push yourself even when you don't feel like it!
8. Get Better at Time Management
9. Take a Step Back to revaluate your priorities and what you want
10. Work-Life Balance

Its really important to look after yourself and stay healthy, especially if you've just been diagnosed with an illness - your brain and body needs fuel to go off so that you can study. I definitely experienced a lot of burnout and lack of motivation over lockdown and going outside and making time to exercise made a huge difference for me.

I can imagine your disappointment of not getting into Oxford has also disheartened you which is really understandable. I think that really taking time to think about what you now want or what other universities you could go to, whether you still want to study the same thing might help give you something to get excited about and motivate you to study to get to your new end goal!

I wish you all the best - keep reaching out to others as well because you're definitely not alone in this!

Jubilee - UoP Rep
Thank you for the tips!! They are so useful!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.58%

Watched Threads