Does heartache go away eventually?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Say if you are very attracted to some one you can’t have (it hurts to be away from them/you probably won’t see them again etc).

The feeling of devastation at never seeing them again is extremely strong. You are prepared to alter your life course just to see them now and again in a casual platonic way …can this feeling last all your life or does it go away eventually?
idlewatcher
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Say if you are very attracted to some one you can’t have (it hurts to be away from them/you probably won’t see them again etc).

The feeling of devastation at never seeing them again is extremely strong. You are prepared to alter your life course just to see them now and again in a casual platonic way …can this feeling last all your life or does it go away eventually?
When you see someone you like, it works like a drug... The more you see them the more you begin to be happier. However, like drugs, once you realise you cannot see someone you get withdrawel symptoms and gets you even more emotionally confused, so you want to see them more again. Heartache for me kinda works like that. Like withdrawals, it will fade over time as you meet more people and start to build different relationships, so no that strong feeling will fade as your mind starts to begin to be involved in other things. It will take time though so it may take a year or so. If you want my advice, I would say not to change your life for someone you have a crush on just to see them in an unrequited love. LIke drugs that would be very damaging emotionally. Just ask if you would like to go out on a date and if she rejects just move on.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The attraction fades with time, distance, keeping busy and seeing how many more good looking or attractive singles there are around.
Good luck!
Sempai569
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know exactly what you mean and I've found the best way to get over it is to distract yourself, do the things you enjoy, go for a run or a walk but try to avoid places you spent time with that person. By far the hardest bit is to have enough self control not to message them or spend much time on their social media.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Sempai569)
I know exactly what you mean and I've found the best way to get over it is to distract yourself, do the things you enjoy, go for a run or a walk but try to avoid places you spent time with that person. By far the hardest bit is to have enough self control not to message them or spend much time on their social media.
Ive been doing this it does help but the low mood/feeling is still lingering no matter what.

Ive known the person for 3 years they are taken but being around them/interacting with them was enough
I felt happy knowing I’d get to chat to them the next day etc. At times I did feel down that they were taken though.

They will be moving elsewhere out of my life so I’ll likely never see them again. Ive had like a anticipatory grief for the past 3 months since I found out I’ve no idea how i’l go on when they go
Anonymous #1
(Original post by idlewatcher)
When you see someone you like, it works like a drug... The more you see them the more you begin to be happier. However, like drugs, once you realise you cannot see someone you get withdrawel symptoms and gets you even more emotionally confused, so you want to see them more again. Heartache for me kinda works like that. Like withdrawals, it will fade over time as you meet more people and start to build different relationships, so no that strong feeling will fade as your mind starts to begin to be involved in other things. It will take time though so it may take a year or so. If you want my advice, I would say not to change your life for someone you have a crush on just to see them in an unrequited love. LIke drugs that would be very damaging emotionally. Just ask if you would like to go out on a date and if she rejects just move on.
Yes it’s very much like a drug. Not that I’ve been on drugs but the resemblance is still evident.

I’m just wondering if there are some people who live a life of sadness/grief just because they can’t be with a person. If so the attachment process in humans is ****ing intense.
Sempai569
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ive been doing this it does help but the low mood/feeling is still lingering no matter what.

Ive known the person for 3 years they are taken but being around them/interacting with them was enough
I felt happy knowing I’d get to chat to them the next day etc. At times I did feel down that they were taken though.

They will be moving elsewhere out of my life so I’ll likely never see them again. Ive had like a anticipatory grief for the past 3 months since I found out I’ve no idea how i’l go on when they go
A few years ago the best friend I'd ever had moved pretty much half way across the world. After they left I spent all day in my room apart from going to school and even then I barely talked to anyone. My best advice to you is to make the most of the time you have left with them. Even after they've left (this can sometimes do more harm than good) there's nothing stopping you talking to them over the phone or in a gaming party.
At the time it feels like you'll never get over it but the phrase that time heals is true. As time goes by you'll start to recover, you might be a different person afterwards but what's important is that you keep going, keep going on through life as things will eventually get better. It was hard for me to accept that I would make new friends but in time I did and I've actually fallen out of contact with that friend as just as I changed, they changed as well.

Believe me, I understand how annoying this can sound but stay strong and keep going as things will get better.
If ever you need to talk just DM me, I will warn you that I'm only active on TSR in bursts and might take a short while to reply but I will do my very best to help.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A heartache goes away eventually. A broken one however, well that's another matter entirely and can result in death.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads