alice_parton
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

I will be a first year nursing (child) student in September. I was just wondering if anybody could recommend a good anatomy textbook?

I’ve looked online but there are so many. Do I need a book specific to children or can I just get an generic one? I just want to have a little read before I start. I would like to have a basic idea as I didn’t study any sort of biology for A level and I’m a mature student so it’s been a while since my GCSEs.

Thanks in advance x
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alice_parton)
Hello,

I will be a first year nursing (child) student in September. I was just wondering if anybody could recommend a good anatomy textbook?

I’ve looked online but there are so many. Do I need a book specific to children or can I just get an generic one? I just want to have a little read before I start. I would like to have a basic idea as I didn’t study any sort of biology for A level and I’m a mature student so it’s been a while since my GCSEs.

Thanks in advance x
Hi alice_parton,

I am a current nursing student at Oxford Brookes and would recommend the Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology textbook, I used through my Access course and have used it every year so far in my degree and am going into Year 3 in September.

Bekki
2nd Year Student Ambassador, Oxford Brookes
Allyson2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello,

Thanks in advance x
Hi Alice x.

Congrats on getting a place as a student children nurse at university. X
Yes there are so many books for nursing to chose from like you said .

Ross & Wilson Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness for children .
Ross & Wilson Anatomy & physiology of human body.
Essentials of Nursing Children and Young People

*†**"**"*******************
Those are the main ones that you can use - obviously I would suggest to buy the most upto date version of books but if you can't afford brand new books then the last version would still be fine as books are generally updated every few years due to changes of technology/medications and any new techniques in nursing and rest of it is same.
EBay, Amazon & WH Smith's is best to try for these or any good local bookshop's near you.
Another thing is university will give you some books / access of PDF copies once you start in September. You can try to borrow these from university libraries or your local council library okay.

When you start in September you'll be mixed with adult nursing students generally for xxxx weeks and then you eventually split into your necessary field of nursing.

I'm a dual registered NHS adult nurse & midwife.
alice_parton
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
Hi alice_parton,

I am a current nursing student at Oxford Brookes and would recommend the Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology textbook, I used through my Access course and have used it every year so far in my degree and am going into Year 3 in September.

Bekki
2nd Year Student Ambassador, Oxford Brookes
Hi Bekki,

That’s great, thank you x
alice_parton
Rep:
?
(Original post by Allyson2020)
Hi Alice x.

Congrats on getting a place as a student children nurse at university. X
Yes there are so many books for nursing to chose from like you said .

Ross & Wilson Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness for children .
Ross & Wilson Anatomy & physiology of human body.
Essentials of Nursing Children and Young People

*†**"**"*******************
Those are the main ones that you can use - obviously I would suggest to buy the most upto date version of books but if you can't afford brand new books then the last version would still be fine as books are generally updated every few years due to changes of technology/medications and any new techniques in nursing and rest of it is same.
EBay, Amazon & WH Smith's is best to try for these or any good local bookshop's near you.
Another thing is university will give you some books / access of PDF copies once you start in September. You can try to borrow these from university libraries or your local council library okay.

When you start in September you'll be mixed with adult nursing students generally for xxxx weeks and then you eventually split into your necessary field of nursing.

I'm a dual registered NHS adult nurse & midwife.
Hi,

Thank you so much for all that information, I’ll have a look at those you recommended. It’s good to know the uni will give us access to PDFs as well.

Thanks again x
Allyson2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Thank you so much for all that information, I’ll have a look at those you recommended. It’s good to know the uni will give us access to PDFs as well.

Thanks again x
No worries Alice in trying to help you on this. X

As you said there's so many books to chose from and majority of them you may never need but those few I mentioned I would go with for time being and see what the university offers you in September. Xx

You'll get hopefully a list of books you can use as PDF formats for the course.

Anything I can help you with then do feel free to PM message me ok. Xx
alice_parton
Rep:
?
(Original post by Allyson2020)
No worries Alice in trying to help you on this. X

As you said there's so many books to chose from and majority of them you may never need but those few I mentioned I would go with for time being and see what the university offers you in September. Xx

You'll get hopefully a list of books you can use as PDF formats for the course.

Anything I can help you with then do feel free to PM message me ok. Xx
Thank you so much, I’ll definitely keep you in mind if I think of any more questions xx
Allyson2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much, I’ll definitely keep you in mind if I think of any more questions xx
Thanks x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (9)
13.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.31%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
38.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.92%

Watched Threads