Is a 4 in GCSE English Language enough to study A-levels at CTK St Mary's?

Watch
_Ippo1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently in year 12 and am deciding to retake year 12 at a different school after discovering BTECs are not for me. (I'm not good at coursework and deadlines. I prefer studying for exams).
I will be hopefully going to (CTK) Christ The King St Mary's Sixth Form college in September. I have applied to study the A-levels: Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I meet the entry requirements to study these A-levels. I have a 6 in GCSE Maths after resitting in the November 2020 after being given a 3 at the August results day 2020. I received a 6,7 in Combined Science from the 2020 August results day.

The only big worry for me is that I only have a 4 in English Language and I am due to receive my resit results on August 12th. I am unsure as to whether or not I will have got the grade 5 in the resit, and if not, will having a 4 affect my application as I won't meet the general entry requirements. CTK St Mary's general entry requirement being: 5 GCSEs at grade 5 and above (Including the subjects Maths, English Language and Science). Currently standing i only have 4 GCSE's at grade 5 and above only including Maths and Science and not English Language. Will they admit me as i am not choosing any English heavy subjects and only doing STEM subjects? Will not having a 5 in English language affect my Universality chances even with amazing A-level grades?

Any help will be welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read this
JosephJ1234
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry i but this question has got nothing to do with what your looking for but was combined science really hard? If it was hard , what was the topics that you struggled on? Thank you.
bleepbloop_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Ippo1)
I am currently in year 12 and am deciding to retake year 12 at a different school after discovering BTECs are not for me. (I'm not good at coursework and deadlines. I prefer studying for exams).
I will be hopefully going to (CTK) Christ The King St Mary's Sixth Form college in September. I have applied to study the A-levels: Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I meet the entry requirements to study these A-levels. I have a 6 in GCSE Maths after resitting in the November 2020 after being given a 3 at the August results day 2020. I received a 6,7 in Combined Science from the 2020 August results day.

The only big worry for me is that I only have a 4 in English Language and I am due to receive my resit results on August 12th. I am unsure as to whether or not I will have got the grade 5 in the resit, and if not, will having a 4 affect my application as I won't meet the general entry requirements. CTK St Mary's general entry requirement being: 5 GCSEs at grade 5 and above (Including the subjects Maths, English Language and Science). Currently standing i only have 4 GCSE's at grade 5 and above only including Maths and Science and not English Language. Will they admit me as i am not choosing any English heavy subjects and only doing STEM subjects? Will not having a 5 in English language affect my Universality chances even with amazing A-level grades?

Any help will be welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read this
hi! i'm not really sure if this is helpful since i am not in the same situation as you but you could always ask the school! like you could email the admissions office directly or anyone you know you can get in touch with at ctk st marys, my cousin used to go to ctk st marys and he said, for the most part, its fine but i would check with the admissions team first before to double-check that.

i do maths and physics so ik you don't need to write like essays but I'm not sure for chemistry. but definitely email them about this like ask the school about it, give them some context and this should help them understand your situation. for the most part, universities don't tend to look at gcse results as your personal statement and predicted grades for a levels matter more, but i do know some places like oxbridge, imperial and ucl look at your gcse results. you should research how important gcses are for each uni you want to go to though, since it depends on each school but generally it's not a large factor.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JosephJ1234)
Sorry i but this question has got nothing to do with what your looking for but was combined science really hard? If it was hard , what was the topics that you struggled on? Thank you.
Combined science is not extremely difficult, but everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. Are you taking combined science?
_Ippo1
Rep:
?
(Original post by JosephJ1234)
I didn't find Combined Science particularly hard. I was comfortably getting 7's in my mocks. I think it all comes down to how you approach the revision. I used the CGP books as they worked the best for me. Both the revision guide and the student book. (you can get the workbook with questions to test yourself as they tend to be more difficult than the past papers).

hope this helped
_Ippo1
Rep:
?
(Original post by bleepbloop_)
hi! i'm not really sure if this is helpful since i am not in the same situation as you but you could always ask the school! like you could email the admissions office directly or anyone you know you can get in touch with at ctk st marys, my cousin used to go to ctk st marys and he said, for the most part, its fine but i would check with the admissions team first before to double-check that.

i do maths and physics so ik you don't need to write like essays but I'm not sure for chemistry. but definitely email them about this like ask the school about it, give them some context and this should help them understand your situation. for the most part, universities don't tend to look at gcse results as your personal statement and predicted grades for a levels matter more, but i do know some places like oxbridge, imperial and ucl look at your gcse results. you should research how important gcses are for each uni you want to go to though, since it depends on each school but generally it's not a large factor.
Thank you for the reply. I will email them now.
JosephJ1234
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Ippo1)
I didn't find Combined Science particularly hard. I was comfortably getting 7's in my mocks. I think it all comes down to how you approach the revision. I used the CGP books as they worked the best for me. Both the revision guide and the student book. (you can get the workbook with questions to test yourself as they tend to be more difficult than the past papers).

hope this helped
Thank you for the reply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (363)
84.22%
No (68)
15.78%

Watched Threads