Katie-hewer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I don’t know if everyone goes through this but I’m trying to write my personal statement and feel like I have nothing to talk about apart from my grades which I have devoted years of studying to. Any extra curricular activities I used to do essentially stopped because of covid and now I’m having a crisis because I feel like I haven’t done anything over the years and have nothing to talk about.

Please someone help before I have a nervous breakdown lol
Oatmilkidk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tbh I was the same when I was writing mine. It took me a few drafts before I got it right! What are you applying for?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are plenty of things you can do even with Covid - read books/journals, do online courses/webinars, listen to podcasts
Katie-hewer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oatmilkidk)
Tbh I was the same when I was writing mine. It took me a few drafts before I got it right! What are you applying for?
Hey, I’m applying for law, possibly with a year abroad.
Oatmilkidk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Katie-hewer)
Hey, I’m applying for law, possibly with a year abroad.
Oh I’m doing law! I’ve deferred my place until next year and I’m changing to law with American studies so I can have a year abroad lol. You should take a look at the website of the unis your applying to because they normally have a list of what they expect in a personal statement. I wrote about some law rated books I’d read and evaluated it, online taster lectures, a summer school for law, podcasts I’d listened to. I also gave my opinion on current events which at the time was the abortion ban in Poland. And then like the areas of law I’m interested in and why. And also how my a level subjects related to law. Good luck
Katie-hewer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oatmilkidk)
Oh I’m doing law! I’ve deferred my place until next year and I’m changing to law with American studies so I can have a year abroad lol. You should take a look at the website of the unis your applying to because they normally have a list of what they expect in a personal statement. I wrote about some law rated books I’d read and evaluated it, online taster lectures, a summer school for law, podcasts I’d listened to. I also gave my opinion on current events which at the time was the abortion ban in Poland. And then like the areas of law I’m interested in and why. And also how my a level subjects related to law. Good luck
Thank you, this helps a lot
Juliean95
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personal statement isn't only about your grades or extra curricular.

'Personal' - Express your passion for the chosen course at that particular university and just talk about what you like about that subject. Surely, you have reasons why you chose that subject. If you do have monetary goals in the long term just express that a bit differently like you see yourself improving your living standards or being able to fund your travel endeavours.. something like that.

In my personal statement times, I was in the same position as you and what I did was I researched some interesting Mathematical Theories using YouTube, Wikipedia and even Quora. I talked about why I like it and why I want to continue to do Mathematics at University.

Honestly, it's all about expressing passion, initiative, motivation, talk about your background if there was something that changed your life. Like some people get into medicine because something happened to their loved ones etc

Either way, you kind of provide your grades during your application so I don't think grades are that important in this stage.

Best of luck.

If you would like, I am happy to proof read etc just DM me.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Juliean95)
Personal statement isn't only about your grades or extra curricular.

'Personal' - Express your passion for the chosen course at that particular university and just talk about what you like about that subject. Surely, you have reasons why you chose that subject. If you do have monetary goals in the long term just express that a bit differently like you see yourself improving your living standards or being able to fund your travel endeavours.. something like that.

In my personal statement times, I was in the same position as you and what I did was I researched some interesting Mathematical Theories using YouTube, Wikipedia and even Quora. I talked about why I like it and why I want to continue to do Mathematics at University.

Honestly, it's all about expressing passion, initiative, motivation, talk about your background if there was something that changed your life. Like some people get into medicine because something happened to their loved ones etc

Either way, you kind of provide your grades during your application so I don't think grades are that important in this stage.

Best of luck.

If you would like, I am happy to proof read etc just DM me.
Please don’t ask people to dm you their PS. They have no way of verifying that your aren’t going to copy their PS of keep it safe or that you know what you’re talk about.

If you’d like to help applicants with their PS then you can apply to be a PS reviewer on TSR. That involves having your university status verified and mentoring to make sure you understand what admissions staff are looking for in a ps.
Juliean95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
Please don’t ask people to dm you their PS. They have no way of verifying that your aren’t going to copy their PS of keep it safe or that you know what you’re talk about.

If you’d like to help applicants with their PS then you can apply to be a PS reviewer on TSR. That involves having your university status verified and mentoring to make sure you understand what admissions staff are looking for in a ps.
Copy it? I've already graduated (2 years ago). I am just trying to extend a general hand to proof read/help out.

I wasn't aware there were rules specific to Personal Statements.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Copy it? I've already graduated (2 years ago). I am just trying to extend a general hand to proof read/help out.

I wasn't aware there were rules specific to Personal Statements.
There's no way for a stranger on TSR to verify that you're a graduate. That's why we have a private review forum and verified and trained reviewers on the site.

We're always looking for new reviewers!
GST1_m4n543
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You know for your personal statment we have to submit it by January right? So why is everyone doing draft and finalising it now?
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GST1_m4n543)
You know for your personal statment we have to submit it by January right? So why is everyone doing draft and finalising it now?
Yep, but some people apply before the October deadline. Also year 13 gets intense, so getting it out of the way now is definitely easier than trying to fit it in around new learning and revising for mocks etc. during term time
GST1_m4n543
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Interea)
Yep, but some people apply before the October deadline. Also year 13 gets intense, so getting it out of the way now is definitely easier than trying to fit it in around new learning and revising for mocks etc. during term time
Isnt october deadline for medicine and dentistry
flaurie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some schools want first drafts ready for September
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Isnt october deadline for medicine and dentistry
Yes, and Oxford/Cambridge, so you don't need to get it in before January if you're not interested in any of those. It is just nice to get out of the way though if you're done with it before then, since January is mock exam time in a lot of schools, hence a lot of schools recommending you do it sooner
Juliean95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
There's no way for a stranger on TSR to verify that you're a graduate. That's why we have a private review forum and verified and trained reviewers on the site.

We're always looking for new reviewers!
Could you potentially provide me with a link to where I could sign up please? I tried searching but could not find the right thread. (Please DM me - if that's allowed).
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could you potentially provide me with a link to where I could sign up please? I tried searching but could not find the right thread. (Please DM me - if that's allowed).
Interrobang can you help with links/info for joining the ps review team? I’m on my phone and it’s awful getting links
heccyeah
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
some people have to apply by october, often schools have internal deadlines, or they just want to get it out of the way, or they want to spend as much time as they can writing it
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The info you need is here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6107640

Cc PQ
Last edited by Interrobang; 1 month ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Katie-hewer)
I don’t know if everyone goes through this but I’m trying to write my personal statement and feel like I have nothing to talk about apart from my grades which I have devoted years of studying to. Any extra curricular activities I used to do essentially stopped because of covid and now I’m having a crisis because I feel like I haven’t done anything over the years and have nothing to talk about.

Please someone help before I have a nervous breakdown lol
Hi Katie,
Please don't panic, it is very normal to get stressed about this type of thing, I remember struggling myself. Have you ever had a part time job or done any volunteering? Or ever traveled? Or even done anything memorable within your studies? Maybe ask a close relative or friend if they think you have done anything special because I am sure you have done lots but have probably just forgotten.
Try to explain why you have chosen the course you have other than that you simply enjoy it. Then what you want to gain from the course and your dreams for the future, that also might be good.
If your still struggling don't forget its not too late to pick up any new skill or extra curricular activity, that shows courage and eagerness to learn.
Hope that helps
Leah- University of Portsmouth
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.58%

Watched Threads