lifestartsnow.x
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in year 12 and so we're starting to look at universities and ucas/applying. I think I have quite an advantage as I know exactly what I want to study, where and I have my 4 backup choices, and I've known this since year 10. My only concern is the financial aspect of uni. I've briefly looked it up and the gov website says I can get around £6000-7000 maintenance loan, but the accommodation is around £6200 for the uni I want to go to. I like the idea of getting a job at uni but I'm worried I won't get one, since other students will want one too, so the competition is high. Are there any other options?
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You could always check if your uni offers bursaries to help with living costs. Try emailing them or looking on the uni website. Also, jobs as a tutor pay well and are always needed. So you could try that as a source of income if you can't find any other part time jobs.
University of Kent Reps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there lifestartsnow.x!

As Kaorimiyazono put well, you can always look at was bursaries and scholarships your universities offer. Sometimes they can offer money for studies who receive particularly high grades in certain subjects, or submit a small essay about a particular topic. Moreover, you can contact the University's financial support department who can point you in the direction of financial support packages if you're eligible.

Otherwise, the best tips are to search for cheaper accommodation, prepare a sophisticated budget, or work alongside your studies. If you're going a city-campus University such as London or where we're based in Canterbury, there will be many part-time jobs available that often look for students. Places like supermarkets, high-street stores, pubs and restaurants are always looking for staff, and as we get further out of lockdown many places and wanting to get more staff as they reopen, so it's the perfect time!

- Nathan
UKC Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (17)
7.3%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
15.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (40)
17.17%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (62)
26.61%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.31%

Watched Threads