What can I do to maximize my chances of getting an offer for Cambridge maths

Watch
dan140804
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I currently have 4 A* predicted including Maths and Further Maths however I do not do a science (History and Economics instead). Firstly, does not doing chem/physics lower my chances?Also, what can I do to possibly stand out more in relation to other candidates?
Kogomogo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In terms of your subjects you've got the ones you've got, no changing that without starting another a level. The course page should state the essential subject requirements so as long as you have those it's not worth worrying about your subjects yet. The predicted grades are excellent.

In terms of standing out think about taking part in extra/supercurriculars, competitions, projects etc, and get some work or voluntary experience if possible too.
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kogomogo)
In terms of your subjects you've got the ones you've got, no changing that without starting another a level. The course page should state the essential subject requirements so as long as you have those it's not worth worrying about your subjects yet. The predicted grades are excellent.

In terms of standing out think about taking part in extra/supercurriculars, competitions, projects etc, and get some work or voluntary experience if possible too.
I'm gonna say ignore the extracurriculars and voluntary stuff that this guy is saying. Cambridge will not care one bit (other unis might but honestly if you have good predictions then for lower tier unis you can expect an offer seeing as though getting into none-medical/dentistry university is pretty easy. - look at offer rates if you don't believe me). Supercurriculars and competitions will be great, consider the BMO/IMO if you can since these will help a ton when job hunting for certain industries and will help you get into other unis like Durham, UCL, ICL, WW etc. Even then, Cambridge may not read your personal statement and given how many they interview for maths its more about not standing out in a negative way rather than standing out in a positive way. Just need to ace the interview which is difficult. Other maths schools like warwick (who offer 90% anyway) and ICL may incorporate STEP/MAT as a part of their admissions process.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads