The Student Room Group

Scottish student doing Masters in England

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Timetogetagrip
I just thought I’d give us all an update in case anyone in the future is in the same dilemma. I called SFE today and they were very clear that they would not fund me. They were very nice but they said even though I’m living in Manchester it’s just the university holidays so I’m not considered ordinarily resident. The fact that I had funding from SAAS For for my undergraduate would immediately raise a red flag for them. I also posted in the student finance section of studentroom and got his reply this afternoon

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7063473&p=95584673#post95584673

So it’s pretty clear I won’t be doing a Masters in September. SAAS won’t give me the money because the courses in England and SFE won’t fund me because they consider me Scottish. I did ask if I could apply next year and they said possibly but it would be on me to prove that I haven’t just been hanging around in England to get funding next year.

There is a course in Scotland similar, which is why SAAS won’t give me the funding But it’s at a university that I don’t think I have a chance of getting into oh well that’s the way it goes I guess

Hi
Thanks for reply back ok.

At least you know the answer you wanted to know about this from SFE.
It's a bummer to you I know but like Issac said on the finance post you did you could find a job for a year or so in England and make it your residence and reapply for the course and funding.
You don't give up things as you'll get there in the end.

You don't know for sure you won't get into the university here in Scotland unless you tried by applying.
So many different rules with each part of UK on this for students.
Hi thanks for your reply.

I really didn’t think I’d get into the one in Scotland it’s far more prestigious and I think I was lucky to get into the one in Manchester. It’s also more expensive and to be honest with you I’m quite settled in Manchester.
Original post by Timetogetagrip
Hi thanks for your reply.

I really didn’t think I’d get into the one in Scotland it’s far more prestigious and I think I was lucky to get into the one in Manchester. It’s also more expensive and to be honest with you I’m quite settled in Manchester.

You seem to have done the opposite of me: I came from Manchester, but am now in Scotland. But I do miss Manchester and may come back down at some point after my degree. Hopefully for my PhD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending