username5737602
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am mostly going to do mechanical engineering at university but I'm not entirely sure yet ( I am also considering physics or other types of engineering).what can I do to strengthen my application? I take maths, further maths, physics , and computer science. I also did an EPQ, which is engineering related. I am predicted 4A* in those subjects. I have also done the UKMT and got gold in it every year from year 6 to year 12 and moved on to the next round. But outside of this, I don't have much else to add. So, I was wondering how I could strengthen my application as I would like to start writing my PS soon. I am going to apply to top unis
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Show what research you have found out why you want to apply for that course.
Why you want to do that course ?
What would want to do in the future for career ? Just be honest.
What you do in your spare time ?
username5737602
Rep:
?
(Original post by 161BMW)
Show what research you have found out why you want to apply for that course.
Why you want to do that course ?
What would want to do in the future for career ? Just be honest.
What you do in your spare time ?
I haven't done much research tbh - I'm probably gonna start next week.
In my spare time, I mostly enjoy learning new concepts such as maths of physics stuff outside of a levels. I also play about with a raspberry pi and do some light programming but not on an impressive level. Other than I'm at work.
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tej3141)
In my spare time, I mostly enjoy learning new concepts such as maths of physics stuff outside of a levels. I also play about with a raspberry pi and do some light programming but not on an impressive level. Other than I'm at work.
I mean why do you want to do mechanical engineering ?
You do more studying and work outside of school ?
username5737602
Rep:
?
I mean why do you want to do mechanical engineering ?
You do more studying and work outside of school ?
Idk I guess because mechanical engineering is the broadest branch of engineering. The idea of making stuff and innovating appeals to me.
I don't really study much - 1 hour a day if I'm being honest. And I don't have an related work experience
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Idk I guess because mechanical engineering is the broadest branch of engineering. The idea of making stuff and innovating appeals to me.
I don't really study much - 1 hour a day if I'm being honest. And I don't have an related work experience
I hear the broadest branch a lot but imo I would expand on that as personally I don’t like it when someone says that so be more specific in explaining what you mean.

With work experience you are in same boat as everyone else.

Making things and innovating is in most of the engineering branches so the logical question next is to why not civil, electrical, aero etc ? Why mechanical ? If you can explain it in a way without saying because is broad. If you don’t want to do mechanical then which ever branch or subject you want to articulate precisely why you want to study it ?
username5737602
Rep:
?
I hear the broadest branch a lot but imo I would expand on that as personally I don’t like it when someone says that so be more specific in explaining what you mean.

With work experience you are in same boat as everyone else.

Making things and innovating is in most of the engineering branches so the logical question next is to why not civil, electrical, aero etc ? Why mechanical ? If you can explain it in a way without saying because is broad. If you don’t want to do mechanical then which ever branch or subject you want to articulate precisely why you want to study it ?
As you can tell I'm giving quite elusive answers, so I think I should do a bit more research and get back to you
History98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
With 4A*'s, your application is already very strong.
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by History98)
The top universities though a lot will have high predictions.
username5737602
Rep:
?
Yh but at top universities, they're gonna see loads of A*'s so it's nothing special
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yh but at top universities, they're gonna see loads of A*'s so it's nothing special
I would just work on which subject you want to study and why and hone that.
History98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would have still thought 4A*'s was fairly rare, the average offer at imperial college London for instance is just A*AA (80%+ get this offer). I have personally never met anyone who got 4A*'s yet (although I started uni ages ago so things might have changed).
161BMW
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would have still thought 4A*'s was fairly rare, the average offer at imperial college London for instance is just A*AA (80%+ get this offer). I have personally never met anyone who got 4A*'s yet (although I started uni ages ago so things might have changed).
4 A* is very good
There was one person on here that didn’t get in but then 2021 there has been a little more applications.
Debs25
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am mostly going to do mechanical engineering at university but I'm not entirely sure yet ( I am also considering physics or other types of engineering).what can I do to strengthen my application? I take maths, further maths, physics , and computer science. I also did an EPQ, which is engineering related. I am predicted 4A* in those subjects. I have also done the UKMT and got gold in it every year from year 6 to year 12 and moved on to the next round. But outside of this, I don't have much else to add. So, I was wondering how I could strengthen my application as I would like to start writing my PS soon. I am going to apply to top unis
Which universities are you considering?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don't really need much in addition to academics - have you been in a team e.g. sport? Team work is important in Engineering. I trust you know to look at non-RG as well with a year in industry being a good option.
username5737602
Rep:
?
(Original post by Debs25)
Which universities are you considering?
Mainly Cambridge and imperial but also Bath and Manchester
username5737602
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
You don't really need much in addition to academics - have you been in a team e.g. sport? Team work is important in Engineering. I trust you know to look at non-RG as well with a year in industry being a good option.
I used to play football but I haven't for 4 years so is there even a point including that? And yes I've been considering whether I should do a year in industry or not. What are the pros and cons of doing one?
Last edited by username5737602; 1 month ago
Debs25
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mainly Cambridge and imperial but also Bath and Manchester
Engineering at Cambridge is incredibly competitive and most applicants will be predicted 4A*s. You need to stand out from the crowd. My daughter was interviewed for GE at Cambridge, but got rejected. She did achieve 4 A*s in her exams and is now a UKESF scholar; in hindsight she's glad she got rejected as her course, at a top RG uni for electronics, is far less theoretical and general than the Cambridge course and she's achieving firsts, having lots of fun and is under less pressure. If you don't know which branch of engineering you want to go into, then the general course is great, though

If you're really keen to go to Cambridge, you would be wise to think about creating your own little project to demonstrate your interest in engineering. I know Queen's College used to make you do a presentation at interview of an engineering project you'd devised. At the end of the day though, the interview will be all about how you would perform in the " supervision" setting and it's intense and not for everyone. It's not just about getting 4A*s, it's about how you apply that knowledge and whether you can think outside the box and make links. You also need to nail the entrance exam. Imperial is like Cambridge and is very competitive.

If you're predicted 4A*s, you should secure offers from Bath and Manchester. My daughter visited Bath on an open day and was impressed with the campus and course. It has excellent links with industry and its engineering graduates, of all disciplines, are highly sought after. The mech eng course is very popular and the engineers there have had great success with their Formula teams!
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used to play football but I haven't for 4 years so is there even a point including that? And yes I've been considering whether I should do a year in industry or not. What are the pros and cons of doing one?
Other teams - Music or the UKMT STMC? Hobbies?

I don't see any cons to a year in industry tbh - you get the opportunity to be paid for a year's work and might get a job out of it. It puts you in a great place.
username5737602
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Other teams - Music or the UKMT STMC? Hobbies?

I don't see any cons to a year in industry tbh - you get the opportunity to be paid for a year's work and might get a job out of it. It puts you in a great place.
I did a team project earlier this year where we had to make some robot. Other than that, no teams.
OK I'll definetly consider a year in industry now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (18)
16.67%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.41%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (42)
38.89%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
23.15%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.85%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.48%

Watched Threads