hxnnxh_13.11.06
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is anyone going into yr10 and which options are you taking? My school's core is Maths, English, Combined Science and Religion Philosophy and Ethics, and my chosen are Music, Drama, and Spanish. I'm slightly worried that I'm not choosing more 'academic' subjects, however, I do want to be a musician.
rxsew05
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not going into year 10 but I have just finished my gsces and year 11 and all I can say is, go for what you want. Its not about the academic side except for obviously English, maths and science, it's about what you want and what will help you get to be where you want to be etc or your ambitions. You have good choices and if you want to be a musician, go for it and good luck <3
heccyeah
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hxnnxh_13.11.06)
Is anyone going into yr10 and which options are you taking? My school's core is Maths, English, Combined Science and Religion Philosophy and Ethics, and my chosen are Music, Drama, and Spanish. I'm slightly worried that I'm not choosing more 'academic' subjects, however, I do want to be a musician.
Doesn't really matter in the slightest what subjects you do. Just do ones you enjoy.
emek4official
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That is a good combination. I wish I did more fun and creative subjects like Drama. I did Spanish (I enjoyed it), Religious Education and Computer Science for GCSE.

Just be glad that you know what you want to do this early, it is really uncommon for people to know exactly what they want to do at GCSE. So you are already one step ahead.

Good luck!
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your subjects are fine.
Mara1680
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This might come as a shock to you, but the GCSEs you take don't matter all that much unless you've got your eyes on a very prestigeous university and even then they're not that crucial.

I did History, French and Drama at GCSE. Wanna guess what I'm studying? Engineering. Without a single STEM GCSE.

Colleges and 6th forms don't care about your options. They just want you to have a pass in x number of subjects and they'll take you in. With universities they might look at what you did at GCSE but it won't be the biggest factor in determining the result of your application.

I would say just do what you're good at and what you enjoy. Besides, taking Spanish is academic enough. You don't realize how hard most native English speakers find foreign languages so to be at least somewhat proficient is an impressive and rare skillset.

Drama will give you the communication skills and confidence. Very useful stuff to show off at interviews.

So I think your choices are fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise