Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have never in my life experienced this phenomenon
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Doesn't exist. There's physical/sexual attraction or lust at first sight though.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I'll explain. You see somebody, for the first time of course, and feel instant love.
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is naive.

The true means to gauge if someone genuinely cares about and respects you, apparently is after approximately 6 months, once the initial 'high' of attraction wears off on their brain. If you're still together after 6 months, talking, and enjoying each others' company... then you know it is probably real.
Last edited by NonIndigenous; 1 month ago
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Don't tell me you are one of those people who believe in love at first sight!
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 1 month ago
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And it also takes time to really get to know someone, and appreciate their personality. Someone who develops feelings of "love at first sight"... does not have that time. So what are they really 'in love' with?

It can't be their personality, first of all.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Don't tell me you are one of those people who believe in love at first sight!
I don't because I never experienced it.
Let me ask another question:

What is it like to be strongly attracted to someone you just met?
foobar123
Badges: 11
Report 1 month ago
It's generally best described by a smooth continuumm between infatuation and love. Nobody really knows love at first sight but if after an extended period of time an initial infatuation develops into a deeper love, people will describe it as such, since there wasn't a break in the strong feeling.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by foobar123)
It's generally best described by a smooth continuumm between infatuation and love. Nobody really knows love at first sight but if after an extended period of time an initial infatuation develops into a deeper love, people will describe it as such, since there wasn't a break in the strong feeling.
What does infatuation feel like?
I am starting to think there is something wrong with me
foobar123
Badges: 11
Report 1 month ago
Hard to describe a qualitative thing like that. It doesn't happen often so not surprising that you haven't experienced it
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Infatuation isn't necessarily a good thing, so don't worry that you've not experienced it. it's like a stronger form of a crush and is defined as strong feelings of love that can lead to obsessive of foolish behaviour.
jenerous
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unrealistic.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My mum always told the story of how she met someone at a church social evening, and, when she got home that night, told her parents she'd met the man she was going to marry. Her mother told me this same story, independently. That man was my dad and they had a long and happy marriage, until he died.

Wasn't exactly love at 'first' sight with my boyfriend; I literally bumped into him at work, and we realised we had seen each other, though never spoken, when he visited one of my previous workplaces. This time, though, it was more than recognition; something just felt immediately right between us and, even as one who can be more practical than romantic, he said he knew, too. Three days later we had our first, and second, dates, after about a total of 4 hours chat.
aliciana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it's like intense desire, mystery, being swept up...all in a matter of moments from when you meet the person
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just because people haven't experienced love at first sight doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

When I was house-hunting for my first property, so many people told me you just know when you've found the right one, and it was true. I looked at places that I really liked, then walked into one and immediately knew I'd found home. I said this to a friend in the same situation who told me she was keen on a flat; I replied that she didn't sound totally convinced and a week later she phoned to say I was right and she'd found the house for her.

Why can't it be like that with a person? When I bumped into this guy at work we could have just laughed it off and gone our separate ways. We didn't have to continue the conversation, but we did because we both wanted to know more about each other, so it was much more than physical or sexual attraction. We talked again later in the week, went out for 2 'dates' the next day, and about 12 hours in his company, over 4 days, just confirmed what I knew from the start, that I'd found the one. You can't describe it, because you don't actually think the words "yes, this is him/her"; it's a feeling, and you just know.
Joleee
Report 1 month ago
feels like you're in shock. only had it couple times when i was 5 years old.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.25%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
19.28%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.84%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.94%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (15)
18.07%

Watched Threads