katievioletbean
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm starting sixth form in September and I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and English literature. I've heard a lot of people say that a 9 at GCSE is equivalent to an E at A-level which I find quite daunting! I want to apply for medicine at uni, so it would be good to know at what point in y12 I should start expecting myself to get As.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by katievioletbean)
I'm starting sixth form in September and I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and English literature. I've heard a lot of people say that a 9 at GCSE is equivalent to an E at A-level which I find quite daunting! I want to apply for medicine at uni, so it would be good to know at what point in y12 I should start expecting myself to get As.
Whoever you are speaking to about A-Levels, please stop talking to them. :lol:

A 9 at GCSE does not guarantee success at A-Level, that is true. I know some students who have got 'low' grades at GCSE and are perfectly fine at A-Level. Your work ethic and determination is important.

Do not walk into A-Levels with the thought of achieving an A at a certain point. Your grades will fluctuate depending on your mood on the day of a topic test, during mocks and other circumstances. If you do not have an A at the end of year 12, it does not mean you are doomed!

I took A-Level Chemistry. Let me know if you have any questions.
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
9 is not equivalent to an E. The highest I got in GCSE was a 7 and got C's to U's in my assessments. This is just an example. It's all about work ethic, revise 1.5-2 hours a day with a few breaks and make sure the methods work. As the above user said, don't listen to random opinions of A-Level grades compared to the grades of GCSE's.
ShadowHokage
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by katievioletbean)
Good luck !

No lol that’s just nonsense as the person above mentioned.

I study A level Biology (OCR A) & Chemistry (OCR A) and in the first exam, I achieved a B in Biology & C in Chemistry (I attend a selective school so majority people around me got As and A*s). After this first half term, I realised that I couldn’t treat A-levels like GCSEs (where you can revise a week before the exam lol). Anyways so I patterned up and I set myself a target that I will improve by a grade. Second exam I achieved A (bio) & B (chem).

I carried on working and in mocks & end of years achieved A*s and got predicted A*s too 😀 meanwhile some people had a downwards slope and their grades got worse.

Don’t worry if you don’t start on a high, if anything that is better. When teachers are predicting UCAS grades, they also look at progress rate so you will be looked favourably upon if you improve massively & consistently.

Just work little and often, I say from the 2nd/3rd week onwards. Use your study periods to study so you gotta revise less but I wouldn’t say use every study period, I know as a student that is impossible since sometimes your friends will want to just chill. Do give yourself the opportunity to enjoy yr12

Also, another key thing I would recommend is having a positive mentality. I always tell myself that A-level biology & chemistry is easy, and by doing so I just give myself confidence.

If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to answer. Also good luck with medicine ! Do enjoy this summer break that you have, because currently my summer break will be spent preparing for UCAT, work experience, personal statement and so many other things 😭.
katievioletbean
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Whoever you are speaking to about A-Levels, please stop talking to them. :lol:

A 9 at GCSE does not guarantee success at A-Level, that is true. I know some students who have got 'low' grades at GCSE and are perfectly fine at A-Level. Your work ethic and determination is important.

Do not walk into A-Levels with the thought of achieving an A at a certain point. Your grades will fluctuate depending on your mood on the day of a topic test, during mocks and other circumstances. If you do not have an A at the end of year 12, it does not mean you are doomed!

I took A-Level Chemistry. Let me know if you have any questions.
Ahhh okay, that's such a relief! Thanks for your reply
katievioletbean
Rep:
?
(Original post by EliteBoy8)
Good luck !

No lol that’s just nonsense as the person above mentioned.

I study A level Biology (OCR A) & Chemistry (OCR A) and in the first exam, I achieved a B in Biology & C in Chemistry (I attend a selective school so majority people around me got As and A*s). After this first half term, I realised that I couldn’t treat A-levels like GCSEs (where you can revise a week before the exam lol). Anyways so I patterned up and I set myself a target that I will improve by a grade. Second exam I achieved A (bio) & B (chem).

I carried on working and in mocks & end of years achieved A*s and got predicted A*s too 😀 meanwhile some people had a downwards slope and their grades got worse.

Don’t worry if you don’t start on a high, if anything that is better. When teachers are predicting UCAS grades, they also look at progress rate so you will be looked favourably upon if you improve massively & consistently.

Just work little and often, I say from the 2nd/3rd week onwards. Use your study periods to study so you gotta revise less but I wouldn’t say use every study period, I know as a student that is impossible since sometimes your friends will want to just chill. Do give yourself the opportunity to enjoy yr12

Also, another key thing I would recommend is having a positive mentality. I always tell myself that A-level biology & chemistry is easy, and by doing so I just give myself confidence.

If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to answer. Also good luck with medicine ! Do enjoy this summer break that you have, because currently my summer break will be spent preparing for UCAT, work experience, personal statement and so many other things 😭.
Thanks for the advice and good luck to you too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.23%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.7%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.4%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.93%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.34%

Watched Threads