The Student Room Group

Is being 5'8'' a major disadvantage in dating?

I'm 5'8'' and I have read many women who say they prefer guys who are much taller than that. Even women who are 5'4'' or 5'5'' themselves.

I do not know how strong the preference is but I'm worried I might not be attractive because of how much shorter I am compared to what women often say they prefer (6' and over).

Do other short guys have noticed this? has it affected your self-esteem or your dating behaviour? (I avoid dating cos I'm thinking I'll be rejected before they even get to know me, just from my appearance?)

And girls, do you really place that much emphasis on height?

Scroll to see replies

Girls do value height a lot. However, many expect most to be 5'4"/5'6"/5'8" or 6' and above, there's a lot of variation. I know many males shorter than me in relationships, and I'm not quite 5'7".
Yes, it's a disadvantage. As far as I can see, height is the no.1 physical factor most women look for. Above face, above body shape even (it sounds strange but I really haven't heard so much fuss about anything else- the two things i constantly hear girls talk about are height and personality). I do not know if this is down to pure physical attraction or silly social stuff (like wanting a taller bf cos of how they'll look when they're out together or even worse, wanting to have the tallest bf among their friends...)
Reply 3
It really depends tbh, i’m 5’7 and prefer guys taller but i’d date anyone my height and up. 5’8 is not bad at all, obviously a lot of women prefer taller guys but if you tick all other boxes then i think you’ll be fine. There’s a lot of guys i know that are shorter then you or around your height and in happy relationships.
(edited 2 years ago)
4”7 and 25
I don't think the majority of women care past wanting to date someone who's taller than them, if they prefer very tall men it's generally a nice bonus rather than a requirement. There are also women like myself who prefer their partners to be shorter or close to their own height, but as you're taller than the vast majority of women that shouldn't even be a problem. Probably the least attractive thing about your height is that you're insecure about it - nobody cares if you're a couple of inches shorter than average but acting like it's some kind of big handicap is off-putting.
Original post by tinygirl96
4”7 and 25

Strong username to post ratio :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 5'8'' and I have read many women who say they prefer guys who are much taller than that. Even women who are 5'4'' or 5'5'' themselves.

I do not know how strong the preference is but I'm worried I might not be attractive because of how much shorter I am compared to what women often say they prefer (6' and over).

Do other short guys have noticed this? has it affected your self-esteem or your dating behaviour? (I avoid dating cos I'm thinking I'll be rejected before they even get to know me, just from my appearance?)

it is indeed a massive disadvantage but it isn't the be-all-and-end-all
There are shallow and superficial people out there who are hung up on having a really tall partner, and you don't have to worry about putting those people off, because you were never going have a deep, long, and happy relationship with them anyway. It's not a disadvantage, it's a convenient filter.
(edited 2 years ago)
On tinder & some other hookup sites, there are a lot of heterosexual girls who are only interested in dating or hooking up with very tall guys above 6'4.

But from what I've seen and heard most girls who date guys prefer guys who will always be a bit taller than them.
I'm 5'1, date guys of 5'4 and above.
Some girls have a minimum height dealbreaker or preference about height gaps.
While others have different dealbreakers that don't involve height.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
There are shallow and superficial people out there who are hung up on having a really tall partner, and you don't have to worry about putting those people off, because you were never going have a deep, long, and happy relationship with them anyway. It's not a disadvantage, it's a convenient filter.

Wow 👏 exactly what I was thinking
Original post by mxx454
It really depends tbh, i’m 5’7 and prefer guys taller but i’d date anyone my height and up. 5’8 is not bad at all, obviously a lot of women prefer taller guys but if you tick all other boxes then i think you’ll be fine. There’s a lot of guys i know that are shorter then you or around your height and in happy relationships.

Original post by urlocalinmate
Girls do value height a lot. However, many expect most to be 5'4"/5'6"/5'8" or 6' and above, there's a lot of variation. I know many males shorter than me in relationships, and I'm not quite 5'7".

Have u noticed that it sometimes mostly really short girls (4'9 to 5'4) that go for really tall guys?

I'm quite tall for a girl. I don't look at height tbh. my friends who are like 5'0 would only feel attracted to guys 6ft and above.

But then again majority of shorter guys are also looking for women who are shorter than them
Original post by Undergrad PA
Have u noticed that it sometimes mostly really short girls (4'9 to 5'4) that go for really tall guys?

I'm quite tall for a girl. I don't look at height tbh. my friends who are like 5'0 would only feel attracted to guys 6ft and above.

But then again majority of shorter guys are also looking for women who are shorter than them

Yeah, it's because seeing someone much taller than them would seem impressive to them. One of my teachers is almost 6' and looks so much taller because she's quite skinny.
(edited 2 years ago)

Yeah most girls like men 5'11, 6' , 6'1
Yes, women prefer taller guys, but it doesn't mean they wouldn't also date shorter guys. It may be a little harder but it's still possible.

Just like most men prefer women with more curves, it doesn't mean they wouldn't date a flatter woman.
Original post by OctoberRain7
I don't think the majority of women care past wanting to date someone who's taller than them, if they prefer very tall men it's generally a nice bonus rather than a requirement. There are also women like myself who prefer their partners to be shorter or close to their own height, but as you're taller than the vast majority of women that shouldn't even be a problem. Probably the least attractive thing about your height is that you're insecure about it - nobody cares if you're a couple of inches shorter than average but acting like it's some kind of big handicap is off-putting.

You can't blame solely guys and say you're insecure about your height and 'acting like it's some kind of big handicap" when literally every woman can't shut up about height and glorifying tall men. There are other things for which men are mostly insecure for no reason - muscularity and penis size for example - but height is not of them.
(edited 2 years ago)
I am 5ft 1 and don't do go out with stumpy manlets below 6ft thanks. A princess like me needs a huge guy to look after her and make her feel special.
Original post by GyrosUberAlles
You can't blame solely guys and say you're insecure about your height and 'acting like it's some kind of big handicap" when literally every woman can't shut up about height and glorifying tall men. There are other things for which men are mostly insecure for no reason - muscularity and penis size for example - but height is not of them.

It goes for both genders though. Men won't shut up about having a girl with a big bum, big boobs and small waist, and are constantly glorifying curvy women.
:laugh: I love TSR's obsession with men's height. It's nearly 20 years and still counting.

But there again, I am 6'5".

I am 5ft 1 and don't do go out with stumpy manlets below 6ft thanks. A princess like me needs a huge guy to look after her and make her feel special.

Something tells me you have a weight problem. Amirite?
It goes for both genders though. Men won't shut up about having a girl with a big bum, big boobs and small waist, and are constantly glorifying curvy women.

This is whataboutism. I did not deny this but I don't think it's really comparable. Go search here the threads on preferences, there are hundreds. Like... 90% or more of women mention ''tall'' in their posts. Compare it with how many men mention big bum/big boobs and I'm sure it's half of that. Men don't agree on anything universally as much as women agree about height.

But even if so, did I blame ''flat'' women women for being insecure? did I say anywhere it's up to them to feel or not feel insecure? that's what she said tho about guys and it's kinda typical of how many women address insecurities men might have. ''Man up''. The funny thing is that nowadays the same women will complain about toxic masculinity and the "patriarchy".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending