The Student Room Group

Is being 5'8'' a major disadvantage in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GyrosUberAlles
You can't blame solely guys and say you're insecure about your height and 'acting like it's some kind of big handicap" when literally every woman can't shut up about height and glorifying tall men. There are other things for which men are mostly insecure for no reason - muscularity and penis size for example - but height is not of them.

I literally said in my post that I prefer shorter men, so no, "literally every woman" doesn't do this. Nobody is necessarily to "blame" for people not getting dates and I think it's a bad mindset to have, especially as it can lead to feeling hostile towards people for not being attracted to you, which they can't help. Being 5'8" is not a huge handicap for men and even if it was getting a victim complex about it wouldn't be helpful, and I for one would definitely take someone who didn't match my physical ideal over someone who was hung up over an insecurity.
Maybe on the likes of Tinder or Bumble this perhaps may appear an issue but in real life dating definitely not.
Original post by A Rolling Stone
while it is nice of you to be on here to make other people feel better, i found evidence on your social media (reddit, insta) that you are a lesbian, so your contributions are well-meaning but dishonest :smile:

I thought I was a lesbian for a period of a few months during the pandemic. I since realised I was actually bi and started dating a man, which you would know if you had found my real Instagram. Amazing that you don't believe that any woman could be attracted to shorter men so badly that you stalk her to prove that she isn't. (Also it's weird that you didn't stalk my TSR account where I've made several posts mentioning having a male partner.)
Original post by OctoberRain7
I literally said in my post that I prefer shorter men, so no, "literally every woman" doesn't do this. Nobody is necessarily to "blame" for people not getting dates and I think it's a bad mindset to have, especially as it can lead to feeling hostile towards people for not being attracted to you, which they can't help. Being 5'8" is not a huge handicap for men and even if it was getting a victim complex about it wouldn't be helpful, and I for one would definitely take someone who didn't match my physical ideal over someone who was hung up over an insecurity.

Good for you but this is a thread about advice to others, not what you individually like.

In any case, feel free to advise men that height is unimportant because you personally prefer shorter men. I have found that to be completely false so I'll advise the opposite.

I do not disagree that having a victim complex and thinking you're not gonna get anywhere is a bad mindset. And I didn't say that, I simply acknowledge that it is indeed gonna be hard or harder than most guys, not that it's impossible.
most guys wouldn’t go for a girl that’s taller than him.

most girls wouldn’t go for a guy that’s shorter than her.

simple as that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Good for you but this is a thread about advice to others, not what you individually like.

In any case, feel free to advise men that height is unimportant because you personally prefer shorter men. I have found that to be completely false so I'll advise the opposite.

I do not disagree that having a victim complex and thinking you're not gonna get anywhere is a bad mindset. And I didn't say that, I simply acknowledge that it is indeed gonna be hard or harder than most guys, not that it's impossible.

I was using myself as an example to disprove your universal claim (all women are x - but I'm not so your view is false). I know many men 5'8" and below who have succeeded finding dates and the majority of women I have talked to haven't had any specific height requirement other than that their male partner was taller than them, the most I've heard was three inches taller. Height can be important to some people when seeking a relationship, but for most people who aren't close to extremes (5'8" is two inches below average male height in the UK) it's not. I didn't think you thought it was impossible for a 5'8" man to find a date, but the thing is, it's not really that difficult either - even if height was the only thing that mattered, you'd be in the top two-thirds, which are pretty good chances considering how many people are looking for relationships.
x

I'm pretty glad you didn't find what I looked like for whatever reason. I don't post pictures of myself under my screen name for exactly this kind of reason.
I was using myself as an example to disprove your universal claim (all women are x - but I'm not so your view is false). I know many men 5'8" and below who have succeeded finding dates and the majority of women I have talked to haven't had any specific height requirement other than that their male partner was taller than them, the most I've heard was three inches taller. Height can be important to some people when seeking a relationship, but for most people who aren't close to extremes (5'8" is two inches below average male height in the UK) it's not. I didn't think you thought it was impossible for a 5'8" man to find a date, but the thing is, it's not really that difficult either - even if height was the only thing that mattered, you'd be in the top two-thirds, which are pretty good chances considering how many people are looking for relationships.

If you read my original post all I said was that it is a disadvantage, which it is.

I wanted to make sure that some of us are aware of it and not make OP think it's all in his head because it's not.

Your post is much more misleading than mine even if ''literally all women'' were indeed interpreted as literally all women.
Original post by Reality Check
:laugh: I love TSR's obsession with men's height. It's nearly 20 years and still counting.

But there again, I am 6'5".

Something tells me you have a weight problem. Amirite?

lol no, I am slim but curves in the right place. With your height you've got the big d*ck energy that the manlets need...
If you read my original post all I said was that it is a disadvantage, which it is.

I wanted to make sure that some of us are aware of it and not make OP think it's all in his head because it's not.

Your post is much more misleading than mine even if ''literally all women'' were indeed interpreted as literally all women.

I think you're being more misleading by feeding OP's insecurity by making it out to be a bigger disadvantage than it is, because it's really quite minor. OP thinks it's a major disadvantage (see title) and the scale of it is mostly in his head.
I don't think that anyone on TSR is unaware about topics regarding height and dating considering the amount of threads about it. They should perhaps become more aware that it's a relatively unimportant thing for most people.
There are so many more people than you think that wouldn't give a damn about your height
Original post by Anonymous
lol no, I am slim but curves in the right place. With your height you've got the big d*ck energy that the manlets need...

hahaha :smile:
I'm pretty glad you didn't find what I looked like for whatever reason. I don't post pictures of myself under my screen name for exactly this kind of reason.

whyy, it's just natural human curiosity to know what ones interlocutors look like!
whyy, it's just natural human curiosity to know what ones interlocutors look like!

One that I've never experienced and find rather creepy.
One that I've never experienced and find rather creepy.

mm yes i'm sure you have never clicked on the Facebook profile of a stranger, righteous as you are!
I'm 5'8'' and I have read many women who say they prefer guys who are much taller than that. Even women who are 5'4'' or 5'5'' themselves.

I do not know how strong the preference is but I'm worried I might not be attractive because of how much shorter I am compared to what women often say they prefer (6' and over).

Do other short guys have noticed this? has it affected your self-esteem or your dating behaviour? (I avoid dating cos I'm thinking I'll be rejected before they even get to know me, just from my appearance?)

And girls, do you really place that much emphasis on height?

Not really, a lot of K-pop idols are 5'8 in height, their faces and muscles usually compensate though.
I'm 5'8'' and I have read many women who say they prefer guys who are much taller than that. Even women who are 5'4'' or 5'5'' themselves.

I do not know how strong the preference is but I'm worried I might not be attractive because of how much shorter I am compared to what women often say they prefer (6' and over).

Do other short guys have noticed this? has it affected your self-esteem or your dating behaviour? (I avoid dating cos I'm thinking I'll be rejected before they even get to know me, just from my appearance?)

And girls, do you really place that much emphasis on height?

Not all girls look like Kylie Jenner, Meghan Thee Stallion or Bella Hadid either

So girls eventually settle for what they can get. Beggars can't be choosers. If you work hard, have a good job, hobbies, muscles, even at 5'8 you have a good chance
mm yes i'm sure you have never clicked on the Facebook profile of a stranger, righteous as you are!

I have no idea why I'd have reason to do that. I don't consider it an issue of morals, I just don't see a good reason why someone would want to see what a random person on the internet looks like, and I bet you don't have one to give me.
Original post by do u know BTS
Not really, a lot of K-pop idols are 5'8 in height, their faces and muscles usually compensate though.

Yes, but we're talking here about male height - as in fully-grown adult males.
I have no idea why I'd have reason to do that. I don't consider it an issue of morals, I just don't see a good reason why someone would want to see what a random person on the internet looks like, and I bet you don't have one to give me.

i have already given one... it was implicit in the word interlocutor which is something you can now add to your growing vocabulary!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending