TKBood
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have 9 GCSE's (A*-Cs), however, I dropped out of college to coach football abroad for a few months meaning I left college without receiving any UCAS points. Is it still possible for me to train in primary teaching despite not accumulating any UCAS tariff points?
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TKBood)
I have 9 GCSE's (A*-Cs), however, I dropped out of college to coach football abroad for a few months meaning I left college without receiving any UCAS points. Is it still possible for me to train in primary teaching despite not accumulating any UCAS tariff points?
Hello,

Unfortuantely, due to governement standards in relation to entry requirements, you would need UCAS points in order to study a Primary Education degree. You are part of the way there with GCSEs as you need 5 GCSES including English, mathematics and science at C or above.

However, there are still options! You could complete an access to higher education course which can allow you to achieve up to 144 UCAS points and can be completed within a year.
As an example, our Primary Education course has an entry requirement of 120 points but we now offer a foundation year. This means you would only need 48 UCAS points to enter on the foundation year and could progress to the Primary Education degree following that. A Primary Education degree takes three years and you will gain a degree and QTS.

Following an access course, you could also complete a degree and then a primary PGCE year which would allow you to study a subject that you enjoy for three years (and may have a lower entry requirement then a Primary Education degree) and then gain QTS in a PGCE year and teach with that!

If you have the passion to teach primary, it will be a lot of work but definitely worth the outcome and you could be teaching after as little as four years!

I hope this helps!
Lydia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.6%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.04%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (35)
16.51%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.62%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
26.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.34%

Watched Threads