Antzforoli
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I'm looking for some opinions on what I should do regarding staying at home, or moving into halls.

I've applied to Southampton University and all things going well I should get in.

I live in a village/small town of around 800 people 15ish miles away from the university. There is very little to do here, and due to the fact of going to small schools, and people moving, I have very few friends here.

My college was much bigger and further away than my schools and I was fairly friendly with a few people, but there is no train station where I live, and so getting to the opposite side of the college where most (probably about 90%) of the students live is incredibly difficult and expensive for me, which led to most people being acquaintances and classmates rather than friends.

The University is only around 25/30 minutes commute by car, but due to the lack of parking I would have to commute by public transport (2 buses) which is between an 1 hour and 20 minutes and 1 hour and 45 minutes commute each way everyday.

This makes me think that halls are possibly the better option for me, but I have a few issues with them. One of my two main issues is finance, living at home would be much cheaper for me compared to rent for halls, and it feels such a waste of money to me living so close to the university. My second issue is living independently, to be completely honest I've been mollycoddled my entire life and I have very little independence or skills for living alone. I don't think my parents particularly want me moving away either to save money and due to the fact that they don't think I can look after myself properly, which I don't blame them for because to some extent I doubt I could myself.

I just don't want the same situation happening again that I've experienced living here, and at college where I have very few friends and can't do much with them outside of the academic setting. It made my time at college difficult and I don't want three years of a similar situation at university, being miserable when I had the opportunity to move into halls and potentially prevent that.

I'm not naive to believe that living on campus automatically gets you friends, but realistically I think it would make it much easier and allow me to get involved with societys and groups that would be much more difficult to engage with having to commute. However, I am also aware of the reality that staying at home and commuting could mean I have to travel around 3 hours some days for an hour lecture which I'm not sure is practical or realistic.

I know this is a decision only I can make, but if anyone has any opinions either way, or any similar experiences, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
username5649070
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would stay halls if you can, it's a learning curve for all students and it's the best way of making friends. Halls can be expensive, but do research on Student Loans and also look at possibly getting a part-time job, having a bit of work experience demonstrates you can balance study and employment.

Also, don't worry about struggling in halls, as it's an experience for everyone, and it can be scary at first but it will get easier. I may help to learn some basic dishes like pasta and budgeting beforehand. Not just that but making friends, relationships and networking can be hard, but without experience you can't learn.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
For me moving away from home and independent living was a huge part of the uni experience. Halls is perhaps it all it’s cracked up to be but still somehow a rite of passage. If you can afford it, I would go for it
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Antzforoli)
Hi, I'm looking for some opinions on what I should do regarding staying at home, or moving into halls.

I've applied to Southampton University and all things going well I should get in.

I live in a village/small town of around 800 people 15ish miles away from the university. There is very little to do here, and due to the fact of going to small schools, and people moving, I have very few friends here.

My college was much bigger and further away than my schools and I was fairly friendly with a few people, but there is no train station where I live, and so getting to the opposite side of the college where most (probably about 90%) of the students live is incredibly difficult and expensive for me, which led to most people being acquaintances and classmates rather than friends.

The University is only around 25/30 minutes commute by car, but due to the lack of parking I would have to commute by public transport (2 buses) which is between an 1 hour and 20 minutes and 1 hour and 45 minutes commute each way everyday.

This makes me think that halls are possibly the better option for me, but I have a few issues with them. One of my two main issues is finance, living at home would be much cheaper for me compared to rent for halls, and it feels such a waste of money to me living so close to the university. My second issue is living independently, to be completely honest I've been mollycoddled my entire life and I have very little independence or skills for living alone. I don't think my parents particularly want me moving away either to save money and due to the fact that they don't think I can look after myself properly, which I don't blame them for because to some extent I doubt I could myself.

I just don't want the same situation happening again that I've experienced living here, and at college where I have very few friends and can't do much with them outside of the academic setting. It made my time at college difficult and I don't want three years of a similar situation at university, being miserable when I had the opportunity to move into halls and potentially prevent that.

I'm not naive to believe that living on campus automatically gets you friends, but realistically I think it would make it much easier and allow me to get involved with societys and groups that would be much more difficult to engage with having to commute. However, I am also aware of the reality that staying at home and commuting could mean I have to travel around 3 hours some days for an hour lecture which I'm not sure is practical or realistic.

I know this is a decision only I can make, but if anyone has any opinions either way, or any similar experiences, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're in a bit of a kafuffle!

My advice to you would be making a very clear list; pro's and con's of staying at home. I think that with everything written down on paper, you'll be able to clearly see which choice is the right one for you. Unfortunately, nobody is able to let you know which is best as it's completely down to personal preference. Hence, by doing a list you'll be able to visually see which option is right for you. As well, try and see what your instinct is telling you, when you're looking at the list once it's completed - how do you feel about it? For example; hypothetically, if you decide that staying at home 'wins', but your heart keeps doubting the decision - they maybe going away is the right decision for you.

Hopefully that's been a bit helpful / has given you something to think about.

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads