ammoniumelectron
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If I were to apply to GEM, between a BSc neuroscience course and a BSc biomedical science course, which one is more ideal? I'm guessing the latter, but I feel that neuroscience appeals to me more. Would doing a neuroscience degree put me at any sort of disadvantage to those applying to GEM with a standard Biomedical science degree? Honest opinions please
paracrinoid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As I understand it, either would be fine, and if you're more interested in neuroscience you would probably be more motivated to work hard for a good grade.

However, GEM is generally much more competitive than undergrad medicine, as there are fewer places and the applicants can be very well qualified. As such, if medicine is what you actually want to do, it would probably be advisable to give some serious consideration to applying for an undergrad medicine course instead. You could always intercalate a neuroscience degree as part of this, if you're still keen!
SyedN
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ammoniumelectron)
If I were to apply to GEM, between a BSc neuroscience course and a BSc biomedical science course, which one is more ideal? I'm guessing the latter, but I feel that neuroscience appeals to me more. Would doing a neuroscience degree put me at any sort of disadvantage to those applying to GEM with a standard Biomedical science degree? Honest opinions please
As said above, you should never do a degree with the sole aim of GEM because it's more expensive, harder and competitive.

Always resit if you can and apply for undergraduate A100 course as this is the cheapest, quickest and easiest way of getting into med.
ammoniumelectron
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by paracrinoid)
As I understand it, either would be fine, and if you're more interested in neuroscience you would probably be more motivated to work hard for a good grade.

However, GEM is generally much more competitive than undergrad medicine, as there are fewer places and the applicants can be very well qualified. As such, if medicine is what you actually want to do, it would probably be advisable to give some serious consideration to applying for an undergrad medicine course instead. You could always intercalate a neuroscience degree as part of this, if you're still keen!
Hi, ok that's reassuring! If possible, could you check my private message please? Thank you!
Last edited by ammoniumelectron; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.51%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.81%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (35)
16.28%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (32)
14.88%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (58)
26.98%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.53%

Watched Threads