Marryam__x
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just wondering if there’s anyone who did really bad in their a level yr 12 mocks and managed to significantly improve their grades over the
6 weeks for summer or at least before the end of year 13. If so form what grade to what grade did you manage to get and do you have any tips? Especially for those doing bio maths and chem. thanks
keeks05
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not quite the same but for my GCSE mocks I managed to go up 2 grades in maths over the holidays using this method:
1. Do a past paper under exam conditions and as you mark it write down the names of the topics where you lost marks (or use Socratic/Photomath if you aren't sure what topic the question was from)
2. For each of the topics do a brain dump or mindmap of everything you know about them, including calculation methods, tricks to remember, etc.
3. Go onto the revision notes section of savemyexams or read through your class notes to find info you forgot and write them on the paper in a different colour. Also make note of what you forgot to do on the practice paper (this will probably be the same as the stuff you forgot in the brain dump)
4. Find targeted questions on these topics, especially the info you wrote in another colour on savemyexams or physics and maths tutor
5. The next day, do a brain dump of the topics again on a clean sheet of paper and see how much you remember! If there are still gaps then do steps 3 and 4 again until eventually you can brain dump everything.
6. Do a different past paper and see how much you learned!

Hope this helps, although the process for A-Levels may be a bit different!
Marryam__x
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by keeks05)
It's not quite the same but for my GCSE mocks I managed to go up 2 grades in maths over the holidays using this method:
1. Do a past paper under exam conditions and as you mark it write down the names of the topics where you lost marks (or use Socratic/Photomath if you aren't sure what topic the question was from)
2. For each of the topics do a brain dump or mindmap of everything you know about them, including calculation methods, tricks to remember, etc.
3. Go onto the revision notes section of savemyexams or read through your class notes to find info you forgot and write them on the paper in a different colour. Also make note of what you forgot to do on the practice paper (this will probably be the same as the stuff you forgot in the brain dump)
4. Find targeted questions on these topics, especially the info you wrote in another colour on savemyexams or physics and maths tutor
5. The next day, do a brain dump of the topics again on a clean sheet of paper and see how much you remember! If there are still gaps then do steps 3 and 4 again until eventually you can brain dump everything.
6. Do a different past paper and see how much you learned!

Hope this helps, although the process for A-Levels may be a bit different!
Hi thank you so much for this. If you don’t mind me asking what was ur grade before and what was it after your brought it up?
keeks05
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marryam__x)
Hi thank you so much for this. If you don’t mind me asking what was ur grade before and what was it after your brought it up?
At the start of Yr 11 I was working at a 7, and in my mock paper I got a 9 Haven't had my results day yet though so we'll have to see! Good luck!
Last edited by keeks05; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads