P1xievampr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to go into midwifery and need worn experience. With Covid my local hospital hasn't been taking work experience students until they reopened their applications about a month ago, if u apply now (via a very lengthy application process, including vaccination records and everything) i will get work experience by January. Which is unfortunate as my application for university needs to be in by then and I have no work experience and would be too late by then. Please recommend me some alternative work experience/voluntary work, or even summer/part-time jobs which would help me build up skills to put onto my personal statement. Plsss I'm desperate
Jasmin3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey working at a summer camps may be a good idea
Allyson2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by noorn0006)
I want to go into midwifery and need worn experience. With Covid my local hospital hasn't been taking work experience students until they reopened their applications about a month ago, if u apply now (via a very lengthy application process, including vaccination records and everything) i will get work experience by January. Which is unfortunate as my application for university needs to be in by then and I have no work experience and would be too late by then. Please recommend me some alternative work experience/voluntary work, or even summer/part-time jobs which would help me build up skills to put onto my personal statement. Plsss I'm desperate
Hiya

As a dual adult nurse & midwife I wandering if you are starting your of hoping to be picked for to be a student midwife next year (2022 ), even if you have to wait bit longer then would be worthwhile.

If so and if it's possible for you to do this why not apply for a HCA ( healthcare assistant) / MCA ( maternity care assistant ) or a auxiliary nurse on your local hospital's maternity wards via there your local NHS health board job recruitment site and if successful use this year to gain as much experience as you can working alongside qualified nursing staff plus keep trying for any available voluntary work on the maternity wards,
Any jobs that you can use your communications skills, IT skills will be as useful.

Yes its a very long progress to get through to being offered a student nurse position at university.
Don't give up your ambition if unsuccessful as keep trying,

If you were unsuccessful for a place on midwifing course then think about doing adult nursing as an alternative as you'll have better chance of a place on this and once qualified as a adult nurse you can still work on maternity wards as a nurse but unable to do births but you'll be involved in everything else. Then ask your hospital management if you can do the 20 months shortened top-up degree course for midwifing ( only drawback with this way is most hospitals trusts are phrasing this out as NMC wants all new students to do the 3 years courses - so best to see if they offer this later down the road ).
P1xievampr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Allyson2020)
Hiya

As a dual adult nurse & midwife I wandering if you are starting your of hoping to be picked for to be a student midwife next year (2022 ), even if you have to wait bit longer then would be worthwhile.

If so and if it's possible for you to do this why not apply for a HCA ( healthcare assistant) / MCA ( maternity care assistant ) or a auxiliary nurse on your local hospital's maternity wards via there your local NHS health board job recruitment site and if successful use this year to gain as much experience as you can working alongside qualified nursing staff plus keep trying for any available voluntary work on the maternity wards,
Any jobs that you can use your communications skills, IT skills will be as useful.

Yes its a very long progress to get through to being offered a student nurse position at university.
Don't give up your ambition if unsuccessful as keep trying,

If you were unsuccessful for a place on midwifing course then think about doing adult nursing as an alternative as you'll have better chance of a place on this and once qualified as a adult nurse you can still work on maternity wards as a nurse but unable to do births but you'll be involved in everything else. Then ask your hospital management if you can do the 20 months shortened top-up degree course for midwifing ( only drawback with this way is most hospitals trusts are phrasing this out as NMC wants all new students to do the 3 years courses - so best to see if they offer this later down the road ).
Oh okay, I'll look into a job as an assistant at my local hospital. I'll see what comes my way. I am hoping to study midwifery starting in 2022 but my chances are slim, because of my subject choices and the current circumstances (a lack of work experience).. I'll try, thank you
zoe.nyaku
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by noorn0006)
Oh okay, I'll look into a job as an assistant at my local hospital. I'll see what comes my way. I am hoping to study midwifery starting in 2022 but my chances are slim, because of my subject choices and the current circumstances (a lack of work experience).. I'll try, thank you
I started a job as a domestic in a hospital. Sure its not as clinical as being a HCA or maternity care assistant, but I have seen every single type of ward midwives can work in, I can watch what they do on my shift, I have been able to talk to student midwives and senior ones. Thats how I realised I wanted to do midwifery, it is still very much relevant. If finding a HCA role or something is hard try domestic, catering assistant maybe? Thy really get your foot in the door and the process is shorter
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.1%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.91%

Watched Threads