Should I enroll a PhD in Oxford without secured funding?

Watch
owencheng111
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys, it feels extremely terrible with the money issue. long story short, I am an international student and got a Ph.D. position in social science at Oxford. After waiting for 5 months, I failed all scholarship applications this year. It seems that I could only either start self-funded or reject this offer at the current stage. I do appreciate the opportunity to study with a group of the best scholars in the world, and I've got enough money for the first year, but it's unaffordable for me to self-fund the whole Ph.D. My supervisor warned me that if I did not secure funding in the first year, it's unlikely to find other funding once enrolled, which is quite discouraging. He could help with some TA/RA opportunities, which are obviously not enough due to the 20h/week visa restriction). Plus, deferring is not an ideal option as well, since it does not guarantee any scholarships meanwhile wasting a year.

I am wondering how likely it is to find Ph.D. fundings as a second-year Ph.D.? Should I self-fund the first year and rely on next-year scholarship applications? Any advice would be extremely appreciated.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by owencheng111)
Hey guys, it feels extremely terrible with the money issue. long story short, I am an international student and got a Ph.D. position in social science at Oxford. After waiting for 5 months, I failed all scholarship applications this year. It seems that I could only either start self-funded or reject this offer at the current stage. I do appreciate the opportunity to study with a group of the best scholars in the world, and I've got enough money for the first year, but it's unaffordable for me to self-fund the whole Ph.D. My supervisor warned me that if I did not secure funding in the first year, it's unlikely to find other funding once enrolled, which is quite discouraging. He could help with some TA/RA opportunities, which are obviously not enough due to the 20h/week visa restriction). Plus, deferring is not an ideal option as well, since it does not guarantee any scholarships meanwhile wasting a year.

I am wondering how likely it is to find Ph.D. fundings as a second-year Ph.D.? Should I self-fund the first year and rely on next-year scholarship applications? Any advice would be extremely appreciated.
Funding once you have started is very rare, and I've never heard of any full/substantial funding. Things like travel grants are available, but not full funding.

The best bet is to wait a year and make sure the gap year isn't wasted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads