Working while training to be a teacher

Watch
chloesweeney95
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am current teaching assistant in a high school who has recently accepted working with a pupil who has complex medical needs, and who will be a pupil at the school for the next 4 years. I accepted the job due to covid, but I have always wanted to be a teacher and recently fellow staff members have suggested that I should make the transition from ta to teacher sooner rather than later, and I would like to also. However, if I were to do a conventional pgce with qts - the pupil I would have to go through another ta training on their medical needs which puts them through a lot of physical and emotional stress. I therefore was wondering if anyone knew of any routes into teaching that would still allow me to work with this pupil and train at the same time? For example a part time pgce with qts (how do they work), or could I do an online pgce without qts whilst working as a TA, and then still get a job as a teacher? Or are there other options? TIA
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chloesweeney95)
Hi, I am current teaching assistant in a high school who has recently accepted working with a pupil who has complex medical needs, and who will be a pupil at the school for the next 4 years. I accepted the job due to covid, but I have always wanted to be a teacher and recently fellow staff members have suggested that I should make the transition from ta to teacher sooner rather than later, and I would like to also. However, if I were to do a conventional pgce with qts - the pupil I would have to go through another ta training on their medical needs which puts them through a lot of physical and emotional stress. I therefore was wondering if anyone knew of any routes into teaching that would still allow me to work with this pupil and train at the same time? For example a part time pgce with qts (how do they work), or could I do an online pgce without qts whilst working as a TA, and then still get a job as a teacher? Or are there other options? TIA
Hello,

It is great to hear your passion and care for the job and the child you are working with. I also was a teaching assistant with a one on one pupil before being inspired to move to teacher training.

As you are considering a PGCE, I presume that you already have a degree? A PGCE is a one year course that will allow you to gain QTS and teach but one of the entry requirements is a degree.

Honestly, teacher training is very taxing both physically and time wise and so working part time alongside may be quite difficult. I am personally on a Primary Education degree with QTS and so my experience is a little different to yours, but I believe you need to complete placements in different schools and so whilst you are in different schools, your one on one would need someone else.
It is definitely worth looking into if your school has an alliance or an academy that supports teacher training, you can then ask them if it would be possible as there may be a way!

If you choose to commit fully to a PGCE, then your one on one child would have to go through a little difficulty whilst transferring but ultimately, it would be the best for the child as they can recieve full time and full complete support. It is short term difficulty for long term reward. Also, don't forget that when you are trained, it is likely that you will have to leave the school to find a teaching position and so leaving your one on one child is inevitable.

As I am not completely well versed in PGCE options, my best advice to you is get in touch with some admission departments for universities and academies where you would like to do your PGCE and ask the question. If they are able to train you whilst in your school then brilliant, if not you are making the right decision for you and it sounds like you will help hundreds of children for years to come!

Lydia
chloesweeney95
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador))
Hello,

It is great to hear your passion and care for the job and the child you are working with. I also was a teaching assistant with a one on one pupil before being inspired to move to teacher training.

As you are considering a PGCE, I presume that you already have a degree? A PGCE is a one year course that will allow you to gain QTS and teach but one of the entry requirements is a degree.

Honestly, teacher training is very taxing both physically and time wise and so working part time alongside may be quite difficult. I am personally on a Primary Education degree with QTS and so my experience is a little different to yours, but I believe you need to complete placements in different schools and so whilst you are in different schools, your one on one would need someone else.
It is definitely worth looking into if your school has an alliance or an academy that supports teacher training, you can then ask them if it would be possible as there may be a way!

If you choose to commit fully to a PGCE, then your one on one child would have to go through a little difficulty whilst transferring but ultimately, it would be the best for the child as they can recieve full time and full complete support. It is short term difficulty for long term reward. Also, don't forget that when you are trained, it is likely that you will have to leave the school to find a teaching position and so leaving your one on one child is inevitable.

As I am not completely well versed in PGCE options, my best advice to you is get in touch with some admission departments for universities and academies where you would like to do your PGCE and ask the question. If they are able to train you whilst in your school then brilliant, if not you are making the right decision for you and it sounds like you will help hundreds of children for years to come!

Lydia
Thank you so much for your advice Lydia.
I do indeed have in english literature and geography so could teach either at a secondary school. I have seen some part time courses and a couple of pgces that allow you to study online, so I was wondering if possible that I could study alongside working with the pupil in question and then go into teaching when they have left immediately so not to let anyone down; so I may get in contact with some universities and courses and ask the question, and the CPD leader at work when I return in September.
Thanks again for your help and kind words,
Chloe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed