Has anyone managed to eat healthier at uni

Watch
CheapThot
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ive heard people losing weight due to being broke and on a budget but I want to know if people have had healthier diets being at uni. Because I want to start eating healthier when I get to uni but is it going to work out if friends wanna get takeaways and things like that. Is it possible to be healthier?
MatthewAteYou
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Few things…

a) yes! You can plan your own meals and so can put an emphasis on cooking healthy meals. If you plan well then it’s not as expensive as you think. You can google cheap healthy meals, and you’ll find plenty of options!

b) Even if friends get takeaways there’s always a choice for a healthier option. For example, getting something grilled not fried… however, I’m sure one ‘unhealthy’ meal isn’t the end of the world!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CheapThot)
Ive heard people losing weight due to being broke and on a budget but I want to know if people have had healthier diets being at uni. Because I want to start eating healthier when I get to uni but is it going to work out if friends wanna get takeaways and things like that. Is it possible to be healthier?
Students aren't renowned for healthy eating. It's a combination of factors: lack of money, lack of cooking and storage facilities, lack of knowledge about cooking and food preparation, lack of choice and a bit of a culture of fast food and junk food because often students just can't be ársed to 'waste time' planning out and buying food for healthy meals, spending time preparing them and then washing up and clearing away after.

It is possible, of course, But it would be a lie to say it's easy, particularly if you're in halls. It will take a lot of discipline, motivation and planning - but if it's important to you then by all means do it. It's something which should obviously all strive for.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is possible but generally I think especially in 1st year people find it hard.

Students tend to eat lots of carbs, bread/pasta/rice is all very cheap & when you want to treat yourself McDonald’s is significantly more affordable then a more balanced restaurant meal.

Of course alcohol is a big factor, booze is calorie laden.

Where I’ve seen students manage it is where they put effort into detailed meal plans so never think about dinner as it’s scheduled.
CheapThot
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
It is possible but generally I think especially in 1st year people find it hard.

Students tend to eat lots of carbs, bread/pasta/rice is all very cheap & when you want to treat yourself McDonald’s is significantly more affordable then a more balanced restaurant meal.

Of course alcohol is a big factor, booze is calorie laden.

Where I’ve seen students manage it is where they put effort into detailed meal plans so never think about dinner as it’s scheduled.
I want to lose fat though, I don't like my body
Last edited by CheapThot; 1 month ago
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I want to lose fat though, I don't like my body
Make a meal plan, go to the gym.

It is possible its just the typical lifestyle is not very inducing.
CheapThot
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Make a meal plan, go to the gym.

It is possible its just the typical lifestyle is not very inducing.
If I eat 1300 calories daily without exercise, could I lose weight 30 pounds in 6 months
Last edited by CheapThot; 1 month ago
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If I eat 1300 calories daily without exercise, could I lose weight 30 pounds in 6 months
Depends how many you burn.

But it’s better to exercise, 1) it’s just generally good for health. 2) it uses lots of energy 3) increases metabolic burn 4) can target workout regime to target muscle groups for goals or aesthetics
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1300 calories is too few; calculate the proper figure for your intake. And possibly not; aim to lose 30lbs if that is the amount you genuinely need to lose, but a healthy rate is up to 2lbs a week and weight loss can plateau.
CheapThot
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
1300 calories is too few; calculate the proper figure for your intake. And possibly not; aim to lose 30lbs if that is the amount you genuinely need to lose, but a healthy rate is up to 2lbs a week and weight loss can plateau.
Okay I can try 2lbs a week. Though it'll take me much longer. Where can I get an accurate scale? Every one I've gotten give me different results
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay I can try 2lbs a week. Though it'll take me much longer. Where can I get an accurate scale? Every one I've gotten give me different results
Make sure the scale is on a flat hard surface and you stand on it in the same location on the scale each time. Also at the same time of the day, and same condition (i.e. no shoes, light clothing...) (your weight will fluctuate slightly throughout the day).

Scales typically measure the force of your body as a deflection of a spring or damper type device & then divide by the gravitational acceleration to give mass.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Scales don't need to be 100% accurate; the main thing is that you see the trend of weight being lost.

You don't need to weigh yourself every day; once a week is all that's needed.
Bilbo's Pocket
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

To start with, I'd just like to nag and say the goal should never be about losing "weight" but rather about losing "fat". Your weight will vary across the day, your body fat won't, so don't judge your success based solely on the scales!

With regards to personal experience, I did eat significantly better simply because I could not be bothered to walk to the other side of the shop to get less healthy foods! However, what I did also find was that making cheap, simple, healthy one pot meals really helped maintain a great diet. Of course variety is key but meals such as: Fish and Chips, Sausages and Mash, Tuna Pasta Bake, Chicken Curry, Bolognese / Chili Con Carne etc. are super easy and will cost barely anything. This is made significantly easier when using frozen veg (it is not lesser in quality and saves money as well as time!)

To further this, finding a sport whether that is running, tennis, basketball, hockey or simply going to the gym could help tremendously in maintaining a balanced diet simply because it helps improve your recovery in that sport!

On your second point, eating healthier does not mean solely eating spinach and grapes. You can treat yourself - that is the perk of healthy eating for the majority of the time so don't feel ashamed of having a takeaway once in a while. Additionally, in the nicest possible way if your friends discard you for not eating takeaways and being healthier are they really worth being around?

But whatever happens, do not stress it: try and eat healthy, go for one-pot dishes (to maximise different vegetables for those easy minerals and vitamins ) with a varied diet via keeping all food groups in. If you do that, you can treat yourself now and again and feel no shame whatsoever!

Additionally, for a little "life-hack" plan a menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner to ensure there is a variety of good, healthy meals that allows for more effective budgeting and success generally. For example, when I first started uni my weekly cost for food was around £27 but after forging a menu that dropped down to £18-20.
It is worth noting, Aldi are FANTASTIC for long-life things; whether that is: pasta, frozen veg, sauces etc. but are pretty hit-and-miss when it comes to fresh fruit so if you want anything fresh go for Sainsbury's or Tesco.

Hope this helps!
oliviaolivv0101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.98%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.74%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.98%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.87%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.82%

Watched Threads