Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it worth getting married?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It can be.
Depends on personal perceptions of marriage and often religious indoctrination connected with marriage.
Sometimes family traditions too.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
It can be.
Depends on personal perceptions of marriage and often religious indoctrination connected with marriage.
Sometimes family traditions too.
Do you think people are getting married for the sake of it/ don't understand the idea of it?
How many people get married and regret it?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't personally feel marriage is overrated (as a religious person) but I do think many people (religious people included!) enter into marriage without properly thinking things through or really assessing their compatibility with their partner. I also don't believe marriage is for everyone, or necessary in most cases for others to prove their commitment to each other :nah: (Personally I wouldn't want to just have a lifetime partner without being married, but that's just me )
Anonymous #1
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I don't personally feel marriage is overrated (as a religious person) but I do think many people (religious people included!) enter into marriage without properly thinking things through or really assessing their compatibility with their partner. I also don't believe marriage is for everyone, or necessary in most cases for others to prove their commitment to each other :nah: (Personally I wouldn't want to just have a lifetime partner without being married, but that's just me )
But that's the thing about lifetime partners, will they love you their entire lifetime and say if our lives were extended and we can go back to being young again, will they still want to be with you or do they want to find someone else?
shes a wh0re
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is it worth getting married?
Depends

If you are a hot girl, then you can make more money from being a sugar baby
Anonymous #1
(Original post by shes a wh0re)
Depends

If you are a hot girl, then you can make more money from being a sugar baby
Lol
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But that's the thing about lifetime partners, will they love you their entire lifetime and say if our lives were extended and we can go back to being young again, will they still want to be with you or do they want to find someone else?
Some will and do, yes! A piece of paper/legal contract (if that's all one considers marriage to be!) doesn't really make much difference to how they feel about you, or act as "additional proof" :nah:
Anonymous #1
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Some will and do, yes! A piece of paper/legal contract (if that's all one considers marriage to be!) doesn't really make much difference to how they feel about you, or act as "additional proof" :nah:
True.

Do you think in 20 years' time, fewer people will get married?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
True.

Do you think in 20 years' time, fewer people will get married?
As the pervasive influence of religion continues to fade and things like civil partnerships (regardless of gender) become a wider-spread thing, yes, I do think fewer will get married :yes:
aliciana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's all dependant on the individual isn't it. Some couples feel it's right for them (look how many people are disappointed their wedding couldn't go ahead in lockdown) and others are against it and feel living together is enough and don't want to be "blackmailed" into a legal contract.
Lucifer323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, definitely!

Marriage is always seen in the context of religion. Most people are indoctrinated from Childhood in all aspects of religion, including marriage which is clearly religious in origin.

Most marriages happen in churches or in other religious establishments depending on which religion people follow.

So yes, marriage is overrated quite a lot.
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Only good for us religious people, not worth it for some.
Last edited by urlocalinmate; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Lucifer323)
Yes, definitely!

Marriage is always seen in the context of religion. Most people are indoctrinated from Childhood in all aspects of religion, including marriage which is clearly religious in origin.

Most marriages happen in churches or in other religious establishments depending on which religion people follow.

So yes, marriage is overrated quite a lot.
I feel like the idea of marriage is sacred and special. It's about loving someone forever, never being unfaithful and it's not taken seriously (never has been tbh.)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by urlocalinmate)
Only good for us religious people, not worth it for some.
Could you elaborate?
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you think people are getting married for the sake of it/ don't understand the idea of it?
Yes, sometimes.

I believe that many people do choose marriage for the wrong reasons or agree to marry an obviously incompatible person.
Particularly in terms of viewing marriage as a viable escape route, taught that it is an obligation to be married or buckling under intense pressure from relatives/local community leaders/a partner/partner's relatives.
As a 16-17 year old I considered marriage offers from much older guys I was dating as a possible means of getting far away from a toxic and controlling household.

It is difficult to know how many people marry and then regret it.
I've heard from american friends that most marriages in the usa end either in divorce or secular judicial issued annulment.
Many people remain in miserable marriages for decades or the rest of their life after signing the marriage certificate and never discuss their regrets, for a variety of personal and religious reasons.
While many other people are habitual whiners who seem to enjoy blaming everyone one/every thing for their own mistakes and .
Others only start expressing regrets about opting for marriage when they are caught having an affair, get dumped by their spouse or the financial position drastically deteriorates.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
i dont get wht you mean by marriage being overrated - but i think ppl get married cos of society even if they arent ready for it

when you marry someone without really understanding who they are , and if your personalities arent compatible thats ****in disastrous
my mom and dad have been married for 19 years , but i feel like they're just together for us (as in me an my sibling)
their relationship is weak , and basically any external person can cause fights etc easily cos they dont understand and ig really love each other
PS: my dad was already married , when my mom and him were arranged , and he cheated on her last year , but she didnt do anything and forgave him for us and our future
and thatswhy i love her
but shes wasted 19 years of her life ad has been mentally and physically drained for the sake of marriage
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could you elaborate?
Sex and other forms of intimacy are prohibited until marriage in some religions.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
whenu marry someone your meant to spend the rest of your life with them so make this choice wisely , not just to ease the ppl commenting on why you arent married yet ad their views on you

ppl are always gonna have something negative to say about you , so their views and opinions shouldnt be considered , also your life and your de cisions on when and who to marry arent gonna directly influence them

youll end up regretting
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
Yes, sometimes.

I believe that many people do choose marriage for the wrong reasons or agree to marry an obviously incompatible person.
Particularly in terms of viewing marriage as a viable escape route, taught that it is an obligation to be married or buckling under intense pressure from relatives/local community leaders/a partner/partner's relatives.
As a 16-17 year old I considered marriage offers from much older guys I was dating as a possible means of getting far away from a toxic and controlling household.

It is difficult to know how many people marry and then regret it.
I've heard from american friends that most marriages in the usa end either in divorce or secular judicial issued annulment.
Many people remain in miserable marriages for decades or the rest of their life after signing the marriage certificate and never discuss their regrets, for a variety of personal and religious reasons.
While many other people are habitual whiners who seem to enjoy blaming everyone one/every thing for their own mistakes and .
Others only start expressing regrets about opting for marriage when they are caught having an affair, get dumped by their spouse or the financial position drastically deteriorates.
Yes, I agree with everything you said here. Did you end up getting married to him?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads