Good apps for reading books ( free )

Watch
Sb17890
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi what are the good apps and websites to read a book that are free .
Also if someone could recommend me a book to read that would be great as I have never read a book before
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you type the book you want to read with .pdf after it in Google, copies do come up.

What type of genre are you looking into?
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Internet Archive.
Project Gutenberg
Spotify (has loads of audiobooks)
Youtube (also loads of audiobooks)
Spelunker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i find zlibrary is very good. you can make an account and save books too
Sb17890
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
If you type the book you want to read with .pdf after it in Google, copies do come up.

What type of genre are you looking into?
Motivating / something with a meaning behind
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sb17890)
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee?
Mara1680
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

The best way to find a book to read online for free is to go on Google and type in " *name of the book* pdf" or " *name of the book* filetype: pdf". Sometimes you might also need to add the author's name. "*name of the book, author's name* pdf".

For example, say you wanted to read Harry Potter. You would google "Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone pdf". One of the first things that come up should be pdf version of the book. You might need to download it or you might be able to read it online.

When it comes to book recommendations it really depends on what you like. But you say you never read a book before so it's quite hard to pick something since there's nothing to compare to.

I would say if you're trying to get into reading, it's better to start with something short because big books can be quite intimidating.

I'll give you some recommendations and you can pick what sounds interesting.

The Too-Clever Fox by Leigh Bardugo - a vrey clever short story (you'll get through it in less than an hour) with elements of deception, stereotypes, perception etc. Bardugo is a great writer. I highly recommend this.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I can't stress enough how good this book is. It's gripping, well-written, fantasitcally paced. The language is incredible and the story immaculate.

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.J. Lewis - this is a book we all heard about. The first part of the chronicles of Narnia. Pretty short, a quick read. Written very well and it's interesting to compare it to the film.

Macbeth by William Shakespear - this is one the most famous plays ever, written by arguably the best playwright in history. It's about treason, murder, guilt, the supernatural, destiny. It's great but the language might not be very accessible.

Madam CJ Walker by A'elia Bundles - very short, read it as part of black history month. It's a biography about a black woman who build an empire out of nothing. She became the first female millionaire.

Like Spilled Water by Jennie Liu - 204 pages, emerging author. Very interesting tale about modern Asia with many twists. Talks about mental health, suicide, expectations, society, sexism. It's a quick read.

Animal Farm by George Orwell - a classic. It's a commentary on the socio-political situation in Europe during the reign of Tsar Nicolas.

DNA by Dennis Kelly - a play about bringing the worst out of young people. Avoiding responsibility and absolute cruelty of the human brain.

Oscar and the Lady in Pink by Shmidtt - don't be fooled by the title, this short story will rip your heart into tiny pieces and you'll love every second of it. I recommend it to everyone.
Spelunker
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sb17890)
i really liked "Only Ever Yours" which is set in the future and the meaning behind it of body image, society run by men, social status/ranking. its about these girls raised in a boarding school just for the purpose of eventually becoming wives, teachers or pr***tutes and they have been ranked there whole life by how pretty they are. i didnt really explain it well but i thought it was great!
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have a look at Kindle or Audible. They do some free books on there if you got a Prime membership.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads